Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caravans to the MidWest Classic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
who's doing what when & where confused24.gif
seanery
This is my route.
Northern Indiana guys wanna meet up at the red arrow?
jfort
people in NW Ohio are meeting Sat. morning just west of Toledo at I 475 and Airport Highway at 6:30 a.m.
GaroldShaffer
Jim912928 and I are going to follow each other up. We haven't set a time yet, I will call him Wednesday to work out the details. What time were planning to leave? We could me up with you somewhere of 94?

Aircooledboy mentioned something about joining us but no details have been worked out yet.
seanery
I didn't realize you would be going on 94 so early. Looks like it may be tough to hook up.
aircooledboy
Alas boys, my MWC plans may have been derailed. headbang.gif

Last friday, my wife and I flew out to Georgia, and bought John Thomas's really, really well done custom CSB V8 conversion. smilie_pokal.gif

Unfortunately, the trip home was not a smooth one. We broke down in Atlanta, and 4 painfully hot and sweaty hours on the side of the road and 150 bucks later, I sorted out a bad alternator connection, and we were on the road again. Made it all the way to about 100 miles from home, when the custom Wild Bill CSB with 7000 miles on it ate a bearing headbang.gif 450 more unexpected clams later, and the car was brought into my shop on the back of a flat bed sad.gif

My problem now is twofold: I never intended to drive my 1.7 to MWC. I was initially going to trailer it with a friend's truck. But, when I decided to buy John's car, I told my buddy I didn't need his truck. Well, he has since agreed to let somebody else use it this weekend. I'm not sure the old girl 1.7 would make the 500 mile round trip, and I have spent enuogh time on te side of the road for a while mad.gif Part two here is I lit nearly 1000 unplanned bucks on fire getting the 8 home, I still need parts for what ever repairs will be required, and I am not sure I can justify another couple hundred bucks on 914 related "fun" at this point. sad.gif

I need to lick my wounds and feel sorry for myself a bit here, then I will get my head out of my ass and think on this some. laugh.gif It is an outside chance I can get the 8 running in time for the weekend, but that is a long shot at best. Maybe I will find another truck, maybe I will just drive the family truckster, or maybe I will be here laying under my new 914 fixing the damn thing. But for now, I am a ? for the MWC sad.gif
GaroldShaffer
Sorry to hear about all the problems with the /8 car if you can't make it to the MWC maybe we will see you at the 9:14 breakfest on the 14th??? If things change and you plan on going give me a shout. Call my mobile at 219-730-6418.

I didn't realize you would be going on 94 so early. Looks like it may be tough to hook up

Sean, I will meet with Jim in South Bend and a quick look at the map shows, to me anyway, that the best route for Jim and I would to be to take 80/90 to 69 (hint hint) to 94.
There is a big mall where 80/90 & 69 cross, we could meet there? To be at the MWC between 5 -6 pm (Michigan time) what time would you think you would cross 80/90?
seanery
It takes me 2 1/4 hours to get to Ft. Wayne. Add on another 15-20 minutes to get to 80/90.
If you want to go that way, just let me know what time you expect to get there and I'll schedule accordingly.
buck toenges
What time are you guys planning on getting up to 80\90/69? I'm in Ft. Wayne and was planning on going up Friday night with two of my boys.
ejm
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 2 2004, 06:57 AM)
who's doing what when & where confused24.gif

Roughly my route Friday morning at 35,000 feet and 450 mph smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
If you want to go that way, just let me know what time you expect to get there and I'll schedule accordingly

What time are you guys planning on getting up to 80/69?

Looking at map quest its approx 187 miles from South Bend, so if we want to be there, say 6:30ish EDT (that's Michigan time for you Sean wavey.gif ) I would say we need to be on our way between 2 -2:30pm CDT (That's Indiana time for you Sean wavey.gif wavey.gif ) from 80/69. Does that sound right to you guys?

Oh, and Sean, I know you will slap.gif alfred.gif me when I see you.

beerchug.gif
seanery
lemme know when and where and I'm there.
GaroldShaffer
Just talked to Jim. Our tentative plan is to be at the 80\90/69 intersection between 2 - 2:30 Pm (Indiana time).
We can meet at the mall there, location TBD.

I will talk to him again tomorrow night and work out the exact spot in the mall parking lot. Anyone else interested in joining us??

-Garold

PS. I will bring my two-way radios. Working on getting another set or two so we all can have one to use.
seanery
I'm there.

Radios=thanks for the reminder. I'll pull mine out.

cell # 317-557-1257
Brad Roberts
I wont make it... but I will be there in spirit... and Curvie/Sean/Ed can all tell everyone how much I suck.

B
seanery
Oh, there will be others who can attest! laugh.gif

Melon Balls is trying to figure out if he can attend.
GaroldShaffer
Melon Balls is trying to figure out if he can attend.
ohmy.gif blink.gif

I hate to ask but is he still driving the 914 with the broken suspension console pray.gif It was fun to watch him last year at the FFR (now known as the FFC) I never knew the right rear tire could move so far out from the fender. I honestly don't know why it did not break off during our, umm.... spirted drive of the back roads cool_shades.gif

- Garold
aircooledboy
Well, I learned tonight just how much my 9 year old daughter wants to go to the MWC. She was out in the shop helping me and my bud tear apart the 8 when it became clear just how bad she wants to go. Literally a "bring a tear to daddy's eye" moment. wub.gif

So, if I have to ride a freakin bike, we will be there. The 8 won't make it this year, but we will be there. Not sure how, not sure when, not sure whether I will be able to bring the Silver Streak, but we WILL be there. smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Here's my route and cell # 716 miles at least 12 hrs. wish me luck! I have about 1500 miles on the car since I completed the first phase of the conversion. If things go well that will double this weekend. huh.gif I'm alittle nervous unsure.gif

wife's 218.428.3538
GaroldShaffer
Rick

you are going right past my house boldblue.gif I'm just a few miles off I94 at exit #19 in Indiana (Portage / Port of Indiana) I will be leaving here between12:30 - 1 pm to be in South Bend area around 2 pm ish.

Just a heads up for ya. The south end of 94 from Ill to Ind is a mess. MAJOR road construction from before the state line to just pass Cline Ave, its only like 6 - 10 miles but feels like 100000 mad.gif

Give me a call when you get pass that mess, if its before 12ish and you need a brake we could hook up for some quick food and you are welcome to ride along with Jim, Sean, Chris (AKA Aircooledboy) if he can make it and myself. My route is a little different than yours since I am going to South Bend but the distance is about the same and you will be able to have some 914 support along the way.

Chris glad you are planning to make it. Drive what you can, you are more than welcome to hook up with us. Just give me a call.

Cell 219-730-6418 Home 219-762-3179

-Garold (east bound and down, loaded up and truckin...)
rick 918-S
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 5 2004, 03:28 AM)
Rick

you are going right past my house boldblue.gif I'm just a few miles off I94 at exit #19 in Indiana (Portage / Port of Indiana) I will be leaving here between12:30 - 1 pm to be in South Bend area around 2 pm ish.

Just a heads up for ya. The south end of 94 from Ill to Ind is a mess. MAJOR road construction from before the state line to just pass Cline Ave, its only like 6 - 10 miles but feels like 100000 mad.gif

Give me a call when you get pass that mess, if its before 12ish and you need a brake we could hook up for some quick food and you are welcome to ride along with Jim, Sean, Chris (AKA Aircooledboy) if he can make it and myself. My route is a little different than yours since I am going to South Bend but the distance is about the same and you will be able to have some 914 support along the way.

Chris glad you are planning to make it. Drive what you can, you are more than welcome to hook up with us. Just give me a call.

Cell 219-730-6418 Home 219-762-3179

-Garold (east bound and down, loaded up and truckin...)

Any suggestions for getting around the construction? What if you cut across 80 E to 69 N and then back on 94. would that cut and time off the trip or avoid any slow traffic?

I'll take your numbers with me. I have no Idea what time I will be through there. I have a feeling it will be more like 3:00 to 4:00 pm. (hope not!) My mapping software say's if I leave around 5:00 am I start hitting toll ways around 11:00 am and enter Indiana around 1:00 in the afternoon. It would be cool to caravan and safer.
jim912928
Rick,

94 in it's short push through IN and then between the stateline and around Benton Harbor is really rough. You'll have to be on 94 alittle but if you jump on 80/90 instead on go straight across northern IN versus souther MI it's a much smoother drive. You then take 69 N and catchup on 94 with not far to go to Whitmore. 80/90 much smoother then 94! There are also a se eral toll-road plaza's on 80/90 during the IN leg.

Hopefully I get my brake parts today and get them on and bled!

Jim
GaroldShaffer
Rick, do what Jim said. When you get to the south side of Chicago start looking for the "SKYWAY" Bridge exit, stay in the local lanes, its a pain in the @$$ to cross over from the express lanes to the local when you start seeing the signs for the skyway. This will take you to I80 aka the Indiana toll road.

I'm not sure its any less miles but less construction. Do note they are working on the skyway bridge but the delay is much less. Oh, and it costs $2 to cross it or is it $2.50? Been a while since I crossed it.

-Garold
TJB/914
Indiana Guys,
I might see you guys on the road Fri. evening. I have a business meeting in South Bend, that will be over about 5:00 PM. I will be taking the same route. If you see a silver Mercury Sable (company car) waving, it's me.

I have everything packed & ready in the 914. See you guys for sure early Saturday morning. Speed limit on most major Michigan hwy's is 70. We always go 5 mph over. State Troopers are looking for the guys going 10 over.

Tom
Have a safe trip.
Dave-O
Rick,
I'll meet you at the 39/94 interchange just north of madison. The petro mart is probably a good place (anyone who's gone through this interchange knows the giant petro mart). Just give me a call when you go through Eau Claire and i'll hit the road. I should already be there when you arive.

cell: 612-669-4314

David
Curvie Roadlover
It's very exciting seeing everyone's plans coming together for the MWC. See ya soon burnout.gif
Bill Shaw
Garold and other caravaners -

I know I-94 is a bit bumpier than 80 but if you take it and are willing to take a 10 minute detour into Kalamazoo, we're having the annual Kalamazoo Ribfest on Friday. My office is about 6 blocks from the site and I can smell the ribs from here. We have about 10 different groups cooking everything from real mild to thermonuclear. IMHO, a great place for a lunch or break. pm me if you need directions.
seanery
I found 5 Blue Hats.

$20 each.

No begging now. I've had A LOT of folks asking for them. This is how we're gonna do it. If you're going to the MWC here's your chance! smile.gif

I'll sell 3 of them on Friday - 1st come 1st served and 2 on Saturday 1st come 1st served.
aircooledboy
I smell a "festival seating" situation coming laugh.gif chairfall.gif w00t.gif lol2.gif
Dave-O
Rick,
Looks like my plans have changed and i won't be attending any of the events on friday night so hooking up with you in portage probably won't work. I left a message on your phone. Have a safe trip and call my cell if you have any trouble, i should be an hour or two behind you (612-669-4314). See you all bright and early on saturday!

David
GaroldShaffer
Chris, Sean, Rick and whoever else that would care to join us. Lets plan to meet at the 80\90/69 interchance between 2 & 2:30pm INDIANA time. Jim said that there is a mall there but could not remember what restaurants are there. Lets just say the first fast food place you see on your right and we will meet there. I will hook up with Jim in South Bend and we will meet whoever shows up there. I have cell numbers for Chris, Sean, Jim and Rick & Wife. Here is my cell number 219-730-6418, if you get there before me please call me and we will do the same.

Looking forward to a great time!!!!!

- Garold
GaroldShaffer
Dave O, I got you cell number also, will give you a shout when we arrive at the interchange, if you are close we could wait for you.

-Garold
seanery
So, is this the spot we're meeting? confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Fans are wired. I still need to change the plugs and cap before I get some sleep. I may get an hour before we go. I printed the thread so I have everyones numbers. As we get close I'll call. Thanks for the heads up on the route. I met a co-worker today that told me to avoid the skyway. Should I take it?

Oh ya, I hope we have time and a place to wash our cars before the event. Can you local guys check on this?
jim912928
I've taken the skyway twice in the past month....was much faster even with the construction on it then staying on 94...where traffic is always jammed between south side chicago and IN.
GaroldShaffer
So, is this the spot we're meeting?

Yep
Dave-O
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 5 2004, 10:46 PM)
Dave O, I got you cell number also, will give you a shout when we arrive at the interchange, if you are close we could wait for you.

-Garold

Gerold,
Thanks for the offer but my new destination on friday is grand rapids. I won't be getting as far over as 69. I have everyone's cell phone #'s in case something happens. I'm a little nervous after what happend when i attended the very first MWC. Any of you remember? ha ha ha smash.gif . Lets hope there is no wrenching on my car in the parking lot this year. Have safe travel everyone.

David
Gint
Haven't had much time for the board this week, so I didn't even read all the way through this thread. I'm heading for the airport in 5 minutes! Plane lands around 4:00 p.m. Cell is 720-480-2540

See ya! driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Going to gas up the car, get a hair cut (not much to cut anymore chowtime.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif clap56.gif
seanery
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
We're gonna do what they say can't be done.

Ok, everyone sing along..... laugh.gif
dralf
icon8.gif
You guys make me GREEN with Envy. My baby is still on the jackstands, but I sure hope to join you next time. I estimate being 6 or 7 sober days away from having it ready to run again, but that will be to late....and my girlfriend has me booked up with dog shows for the rest of the summer it seems. Well fellows I will be thinking and drinking as if I was with you guys....take care, have fun and I want lots of posts and war stories about the trip.

Al
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.