Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 with a D-Jet.... help. . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
So i have been driving this car for a year, last owner said it was a 1.7. it has all the 1.7 D-jet etc...

I should have done it before, but today messing with the FI, SN is EC012390....

74 1.8?

i went from 80 HP to 76HP in a second....

and now my question is.... will the D-jet setup even work with the 1.8?

i can see the fuel not getting enough.. etc.

any help?

broomhandle
also, could i not have a bus motor?

it runs like it is......

or for the 1.8 are the blocks the same?

from the samba

Type 4

EC 1974 1800cc

Porsche 914
Code Year Engine/Notes

EC 1974 1800cc - California only, 7.6:1 compression

but on other sites i got bus motorsfor 74 an is EC 1.7

its getting worse and worse..... i have a feeling its a bus motor. just found some pick and pull markings on it....

ugh.......

any wise knowledge??
jimkelly
some pics pls.

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php

d jet uses an mps - L jet uses a airmeter.

1.7 and 1.8 use different injectors too.

1.7 injectors on a 1.8 could result in a lean condition??
broomhandle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 30 2011, 03:21 PM) *

some pics pls.

http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php

d jet uses and mps - L jet uses a airmeter.

1.7 and 1.8 use different injectors too.

1.7 injectors on a 1.8 could result in a lean condition??

yeah, ive had it run like crap for a year now, i thought it was a vac leak. but i know the 1.8 uses diff inject, ECU etc....

pic of what? it has a full 1.7 setup up top. looks like a 1.7, but SN shows the EC number.

this car has been bad news over and over.....

but, for the mean time, i would like to know if the 1.7 setup will even work with the 1.8? it runs, but just like crap.

idle like crap, and has no power....

i posted a few days ago about a idle issue, but now im just wondering....
jcd914
1.8 is a low compression motor which means low vacuum.
L-jet with low vacuum leans lean mixture.
D-jet with low vacuum means rich mixture.

I have never tried it but a D-jet system should be able to provide enough fuel for a 1.8 vs the 1.7 it was designed for. If you have a 1.8 with D-jet on it you may have plenty of other odd things done that will contribute to the poor running.
Also at this point in time the engine code may have nothing to do with what is inside the engine. It could have been rebuilt at some point, so you really only know you have a 1.8 case.

Have you checked the basics? Points, timing, valve adjusting, vacuum leaks?

What symptoms besides "it runs, but just like crap"?

Jim (in Carmichael,CA)
broomhandle
It drops idle every second. its really under powered, backfires and that's about it.

i figured it was vacuum or fuel or both... i have rebuilt the injectors, all new fuel line. and vac hoses. points, time... no valves yet. that was next.

I just know the 1.8 has L-Jet and just thought.... crap. i wonder if this is all my problems.

the motor does have a pick/pull marking. so i have no idea about the motor.

and im in Fair Oaks, do you go to the donut rallys?

and, the whole car is odd, i find more and more.... tweakers with wheels should be illegal.
914Mike
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Oct 30 2011, 01:58 PM) *

also, could I not have a bus motor?
any wise knowledge??

Well, they way you tell if you have a 914 _case_ or a bus _case_ is the dipstick tube. 914 has it on top, bus has it bolted to the flange at the back right corner. If there is a block-off plate bolted on, or that flange is otherwise plugged up it's a bus _case_.

A tube can be added up top.

A block-off plate or one of the bolt heads will almost certainly hit the motor bar unless it's really thin. This sounds terrible!

I suppose it could be welded shut, but most hackers don't bother...
TheCabinetmaker
I've had a 1.8 with djet. No problems to speak of. Ran just fine. Valve adjustment should be the first on the list. Have you checked your fuel pressure? I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember the L-jet uses less pressure.
broomhandle
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 31 2011, 05:17 AM) *

I've had a 1.8 with djet. No problems to speak of. Ran just fine. Valve adjustment should be the first on the list. Have you checked your fuel pressure? I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember the L-jet uses less pressure.

valves are on the list..... im getting to it. smile.gif

yes, ive been thinking about fuel, i was thinking maybe i would need a different fuel pump. but, re-thinking it would be the ECU that would make up its mind how much fuel....

and im pretty sure its a 914 1.8....

so does it make this motor a 1.7.5?

smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Fuel dilivery system doesn't change cc's Its still a 1.8 BTW, dwell should be set prior to timing (if you didn't already know that).
914Mels
Our '70 is a 1.7 converted to a 1.8 with the 93mm pistons from a 1.8. When I went back to the original D jet after many carb combos over the years, it didn't run that great. This year I broke down and added a wide band O2 to monitor the mixture as was amazed how far off the fuel mixture was. I would highly recommend spending the $200 to get this set up on your car. It takes away the guess work and will let you modify and see if you're on the right track instantly.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 31 2011, 02:08 PM) *

Our '70 is a 1.7 converted to a 1.8 with the 93mm pistons from a 1.8. When I went back to the original D jet after many carb combos over the years, it didn't run that great. This year I broke down and added a wide band O2 to monitor the mixture as was amazed how far off the fuel mixture was. I would highly recommend spending the $200 to get this set up on your car. It takes away the guess work and will let you modify and see if you're on the right track instantly.

What unit are you using? I'm definately in the market for one.
914Mels
It's a Innovate mtx. It is all one piece, mounts in a gauge cup on the dash. Be careful if you order one, there is a "motorsport" model that has a cable only 3-4 ft long. The one I got has a 10ft cable that just makes it to the left dash pillar.
broomhandle
what is: dwell should be set prior to timing

im just a little bummed when i found out its a 1.8, why could it nbot be a 2.0... haha

the 914 is such a great car, the motor and trans just make it so old... and underpowered. i thought, even a 2.0 would be so under powered.

i have a 71 im restoring and hoping to get 180-200 hp.

my 70 is a daily driver. i would just like it to run decent.
broomhandle
QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 31 2011, 12:20 PM) *

It's a Innovate mtx. It is all one piece, mounts in a gauge cup on the dash. Be careful if you order one, there is a "motorsport" model that has a cable only 3-4 ft long. The one I got has a 10ft cable that just makes it to the left dash pillar.

i think i would rather spend 200 and get this with built in gauge:

IPB Image

i dont need to read the gauge every sec.. smile.gif

im not sure if the 1.8 would need more of less fuel from the D-Jet.....

and a fuel pump would have nothing to do with more or less fuel into the motor corect? ECU does all that?
Spoke
I'm running a 1.8L now with DJET from a 71.

Runs very well. I don't have the rich state. Actually running a bit lean.

Check here for details:

Spoke's Project Thread
broomhandle
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 31 2011, 01:13 PM) *

I'm running a 1.8L now with DJET from a 71.

Runs very well. I don't have the rich state. Actually running a bit lean.

Check here for details:

Spoke's Project Thread

awesome build. your red '71 makes my '71 project a dream... i thought i had bad rust... gives me hope, cool build....

i feel my 1.8 is running lean as well.... I will mess with it more....

your body work is great. What paint are you using? and are you doing a clear coat?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Oct 31 2011, 02:43 PM) *

what is: dwell should be set prior to timing

im just a little bummed when i found out its a 1.8, why could it nbot be a 2.0... haha

the 914 is such a great car, the motor and trans just make it so old... and underpowered. i thought, even a 2.0 would be so under powered.

i have a 71 im restoring and hoping to get 180-200 hp.

my 70 is a daily driver. i would just like it to run decent.

Sorry about that, I was posting in the wrong thread and I don't even drink anymore!!!!!!!!! confused24.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Oct 31 2011, 04:47 PM) *

your body work is great. What paint are you using? and are you doing a clear coat?

Thanks.

I'm using PPG paints in single stage. No clear coat. I'm painting only portions of the car as I repair the unending rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.