Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Transaxle Experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Mike, you have an email.

A customer with a "hard-shifting" 915 presented me with this. With the transaxle out of the 911, a cursory external inspection revealed that the shift mechanism appeared to have difficulty traveling into and out of one of the side gates (1-2 or 5-R).

Pulling the nose cone reveals that it's the 5-R gate. There is no adjustment for this of which I am aware. The 1-2 and 3-4 forks align correctly.

It's like the fork plate that retains the shift finger is slightly in the wrong place, even though it's VERY unadjustable.

What do you think?
pcar916
Is there an in-focus pic of the bottom view?

I'd look at the slider/spider contact surfaces and the condition of the stop-blocks inside the 4th and 5th-gear synchros as well. I had this problem and it turned out that spyder/slider pair had "landings" worn into them, creating a multi-position movement.

The assumption is that the shift linkage bushings were in pristine shape Also the pivot forks and actuators in the main gear compartment aren't worn. That's where I'd start lookin'.

Good luck
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 31 2011, 06:38 AM) *

Mike, you have an email.

A customer with a "hard-shifting" 915 presented me with this. With the transaxle out of the 911, a cursory external inspection revealed that the shift mechanism appeared to have difficulty traveling into and out of one of the side gates (1-2 or 5-R).

Pulling the nose cone reveals that it's the 5-R gate. There is no adjustment for this of which I am aware. The 1-2 and 3-4 forks align correctly.

It's like the fork plate that retains the shift finger is slightly in the wrong place, even though it's VERY unadjustable.

What do you think?

Joe,
FYI..there is a small roll pin on the lower castle nut…be very careful not to lose this as this as it’s NLA.
From the picture it looks as though some on else has tinker with this box..as the roll pin looks as though it now has a cotter pin in its place.sad.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.