Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't turn left...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WolfR32
So I'm having a short or an open in the ignition wiring or something, when I turn the wheel left slightly the motor dies, if I turn it more its ok, right its fine...

Any ideas? Ignition switch broken? I was messing with the connector on the back of the switch before this started happening...
underthetire
Probably. Get one from GPR, the cheap ones don't hold up.
WolfR32
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 31 2011, 07:09 PM) *

Probably. Get one from GPR, the cheap ones don't hold up.

Hi Do you have a link? I was searching hereGPRparts
but could not find anything.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ Oct 31 2011, 08:42 PM) *

So I'm having a short or an open in the ignition wiring or something, when I turn the wheel left slightly the motor dies, if I turn it more its ok, right its fine...

Any ideas? Ignition switch broken? I was messing with the connector on the back of the switch before this started happening...

Perhaps you should think about asking a COMPLETE question, i.e., giving us enough information about your car, a Porsche, I presume, that we can get it together and give you a reasonably accurate answer.

The Cap'n
WolfR32
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 31 2011, 07:23 PM) *

Perhaps you should think about asking a COMPLETE question, i.e., giving us enough information about your car, a Porsche, I presume, that we can get it together and give you a reasonably accurate answer.

The Cap'n

I should have kept it simple...
Can a broken ignition switch cause the car to stop when turning the steering wheel.

I can not easily check the switch as there is a roll cage cross bar blocking the set screw headbang.gif

And yes its a 74 2.0 Porsche 914.
dlestep
...your car has the same disease my wife has. Under any circumstances,
when driving, she can only turn right.

I was in a hangar at 10 Mountain, when I received a cell phone call from her.
She said that she was lost. (She made two incorrect right turns).
After listening to the cross streets, she was 32 miles SOUTH of where
she was supposed to be. Her normal drive home is 7 1/2 miles.
BigDBass
You better listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool guy.
sfrenck
Paint it brown and sell it to UPS (they aren't supposed to turn left).
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 31 2011, 09:23 PM) *

The Cap'n

I pretty much assumed it was a Porsche 914 from looking at his avatar. It's that little picture just to the left. lol-2.gif happy11.gif
SLITS
Sure you don't have the harness wires fouled in the steering linkage?
WolfR32
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 1 2011, 10:12 AM) *

Sure you don't have the harness wires fouled in the steering linkage?

Thanks Ron, That is that type of response I was looking for. I will check and make sure I didn't get something caught when I was futzing with the ignition wiring.

Thanks again! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
What about a broken ignition lock binding in the column?
campbellcj
Larry - don't mind the Krusty One - it's the first of the month and his crustiness quota just reset. wink.gif

Have you checked the electrical part of the ignition switch for visible cracks? That's a fairly common failure mode. My first guess was the harness connector though, as Ron suggested. I hope it's something relatively simple and cheap...rollcages never make this kind of work easy (BTDT).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.