Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine bay painting options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
I'm debating engine bay painting. It's not a show car or original paint. Metal has imperfections. Hoping for simple clean finish that hides dirt and flaws.

The car is dark blue. Most of the engine bay is already dark blue.

But dark blue really shows the dirt and imperfections.
Maybe a flat/satin clear coat would help?

Thought about splatter paint - but the stuff I've found is water soluble.

Maybe something textured.
Wrinkle paint? Truck bed liner? Rust-Oleum Multi-Color Textured Spray?

TheCabinetmaker
Textured paint wil be a bitch to ckean an oil splatter from.
VaccaRabite
If you have cleaned the rust up bed liner is really tough stuff and may work well.
scotty b
Spray can splatter paint is crap. Good luck getting it to stay on for more than 3 days unless you clear over top of it. Rustoleum pro series satin black. Make certain the metal is clean of grease, oil, dirt etc. Scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and spray away
Spoke
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 1 2011, 09:15 AM) *

Rustoleum pro series satin black. Make certain the metal is clean of grease, oil, dirt etc. Scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and spray away

agree.gif

Agree with everything except the paint color.

I like looking in the engine bay, trunks, and under the car and seeing car color. I found a rattle can color that almost matches my paint and I use it under the car where exterior panels are not seen. If you can't find a match, then go satin black.

Definitely have to prepare the surface before painting. Painting on dirt, grease or oil will not turn out well.
PanelBilly
Clean, clean, clean. Then scuff it and clean it again. Give the paint something to bond to
campbellcj
I concur about preferring body color vs. black, but it's your car. You can get code or sample-matched rattle cans made up.

A neutral grey is another option.

In addition to careful prep as noted above, also pay attention to masking everything thoroughly. Rattle can nozzles can be imprecise and throw-off mist in all directions. BTDT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.