Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bump Steer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chandler1969
I have a 74 2.0 (Yeller). When I'm driving at a good speed and I hit a bump in the road, I can feel the tires move causing the steering wheel to move. Which is normal. The not so normal part is the wheels will straighten back but the steering wheel will be very noticeably off to the left. I have to move the steering wheel to the right to line it back up. At that point its fine. Is this bump steer? Is that clear as mud?
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like worn out tie rods.
jmill
Bump steer is when the wheel toes in or out in jounce (a bump). The factory dials it in pretty close but if you raise or lower the car you change the geometry. You can adjust the rack or the tie rod ends with spacers to minimize it. It sounds like you have some worn out parts giving you slop.
jaxdream
You say wheels straighten up, but you have to move the steering wheel ?/ I'd check the splines in the steering wheel also, especially if using an adapter and aftermarket wheel. YMMV....

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.