Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 tow dolly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
I am towing a 914 600 miles. I may not be able to acquire a full trailer only leaving me the option of a tow dolly. I am concerned about the transaxle burning up towing the rig like this. Are my concerns legitimate?

Iv'e read not to tow the 914 backwards for fear of the trunk and top. Towing forward I am afraid the transaxle may not get full lubrication while left in neutral and being towed (hence half of the transaxle spinning).

Any advice/experience?
Dave_Darling
Go for it. I know quite a few 914s that have been dolly-towed or flat-towed for thousands of miles without problems. Just make sure that the CVs are connected, and the transaxle is full of fluid. And that you leave the transmission out of gear..... blink.gif

--DD
VegasRacer
Before I got a trailer, I flat-towed my teener to the track. Never had any problem.
I know that Boxstr used a tow dolly to get his 914 to/from the WCC without any problem also.
McMark
agree.gif 100%. Don't tow it backwards. Dont.
Trekkor
I tow mine to all the a/x events on a tow dolly. No problems.

1000 miles so far... ohmy.gif

It might be nice to aquire a pair of those tow truck wheel dollies. That would allow the rears to be up off the ground to save my tires.

KT
Porsche Rescue
I have tow dollied a 914 from LA to Portland (1000 miles) San Jose to Portland (650 miles) and Sacramento to Portland (600 miles) with no problem. As said before, just make sure it is in neutral and p. brake off when you start. I actually feel more secure towing with a dolly rather than a trailer, especially if you don't have a real big, heavy tow rig. The dolly seems to have much less tendency to fish tale like a trailer can do.
Red-Beard
I am about to do this from San Diego to Houston. Echo: make sure the tranny is full of fluid and is in neutral.

James
Trekkor
Here's my rig, so...

Can't tell if it's back there or not unless I look. laugh.gif
GWN7
I've towed 3 home on a dolly, from Dallas, Nevada and Tennessee. No problems.
86motoman
Right on! Thanks guys! boldblue.gif clap56.gif
94teener
Regarding the flat towing thing, here are someone elses pics. of his arrangement. (I bought a new towbar as shown in the pic., cost about $30.00, if I remember correctly. I have't installed it
on my project car yet. If any of you want the source for these towbars, say so and i will dig it up and post it. I have zero interest in sale of these things.)

Phil
94teener
Another pic:
94teener
Third pic:
Aaron Cox
hmm..
looks like howards car
plas76targa
Phil - if you can dig up that source for the tow bar and brackets, and please post. Looks like an inexpensive and space saving towing solution.

Thx!
Rhodes71/914
OK so I just used a dolly to go from Sacramento, CA to Bend, OR about 720 miles. Had a blowout on the driver side rear tire only about 60 miles out of Sac. No spare and on a tight time schedule. So we turned the car around (pushed it) on the side of I-5, and pushed it up on the dolly backwards.

What damage did I cause? nothing seems obvious that I can see.
Trekkor
I would have borrowed a front tire.

KT
914werke
That setup looks sweet but unlikley to work on a street car wher fogs and or horns exist behind the Grills.
markb
Ask the Cap'n to post a pic of his tow bar setup. It's pretty cool.
94teener
Matt,

Check on eBay search, "tow bar" or "adjustable tow bar" and you will find a bunch of these
tow bars that will meet the requirements for the 914. You will want a 5,000 lb towing capacity and mounting adjustability to 41 inches wide (to meet the mounting requirerments of the 914.)

I bought mine for, I think, $24.00 plus shipping but, I notice you can buy them for less than that
on eBay. I have not installed mine yet. Waiting to finish my wife's teener. But, it looks to me that the mounting plate installation still allows the horn(s) to remain in place. My intent is to install the mounting plate with bolts and lock nuts. That way, you can pull the fog/driving lights, install the plate and vis-versa.

Phil

Like my new side markers? located between doors and front wheel wells
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.