Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethical dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I know it's silly to agonize over these things, but there are plenty of professional mechanics on this board and thought they'd have good insights:

After I bought my first 914 two years ago, I researched local Porsche mechanics. I found a guy - we'll call him Tom - who was highly recommended for his skill and honesty. As a bonus, he was using space at a German Car shop about 3 miles from my house.

Over the past two years, Tom has done a ton of work on my 914... new clutch, starter, fuel pump, master cylinder, converted from Progressive carb to dual EMPIs, valve adjust, oil changes, and many small things along the way. We've had a great relationship and he's very honest and trustworthy - for instance, refused to charge me for over an hour of carb tuning because he still wasn't happy with how they were running.

Tom confided in me that he wasn't happy with the German Car shop where he was working. He wanted to open his own shop. Long story short, I introduced him to an attorney (my brother) who helped him launch his own shop. He's got a great new facility - huge place with three lifts, and has already hired up a staff. A large clientele has followed him to the new shop. Mostly 911s and 944s.

Problem is, the new shop is 30 miles from where I live.

A couple months back, I needed an oil leak diagnosed quickly, as well as a valve adjustment and oil change. I found another Porsche shop close (~5 miles) to home and stopped by to pay them a visit. It's a father-son operation and they've got a ton of experience with 914's - they used to race-prep several, and the son has one for his DD. The father is a master of the black art of carb tuning. They're also a Brad Penn shop (Tom doesn't use BPenn). After a week at their shop, my 914 is running great - carbs in tune, seems to like the Brad Penn oil, and leaking has been reduced to a trickle.

So you see where this is heading... here's the complicating factor:

A few weeks ago, Tom had an open lift day at his new shop. I went by to check it out and wish him well. I mentioned that the other shop had done some work for me and he seemed fairly disappointed - not upset at me, just reluctant to lose me as a customer. He even offered to let me drop my car at his house, which is <10 miles from where I live, anytime it needs work. He also put the 914 up on his lift and checked the front wheel bearings for me. They need replacing.

The father/son shop definitely seems more experienced with 914's, and certainly more convenient. Am I a bastard if I bring it to them for new wheel bearings, when Tom helped me diagnose the issue and is offering whatever it takes to keep me as a customer? Truth is, if I had no prior relationship with any of these guys, I'd choose the father/son shop as they just know 914's better. But I feel bad not doing whatever I can to help Tom be successful in his new shop.

My 1,000th post, yay. first.gif
porschefile2010
Just do what is best for your 914. Sounds like New shop. When a business shifts premises they always take a risk and potentially lose a few customers. They will undoubtedly gain a few in the new area if they are good at what they do. That's business.
BajaXJ92
How close of a friend are you to Tom?

Where can you get the best bang for your buck?

Personally? I'd give Tom the business. I'd go with someone I can trust everytime. The fact that he's really making the effort to keep your business always says something to me. smile.gif
GeorgeRud
If you like a shop, use them as they all need the business to stay in business. I have several excellent Porsche repair shops in my area, and I try to use all of them as possible to help keep them around. With the distances involved, I'm sure he'd understand your need to sometimes use a closer shop.

Same with parts suppliers, use them or they will be gone for good.
scotty b
My 2 cents. I know who you are talking about, and he is good. He also is in demand in your area. Use Tom when he is available, use the new guys when Tom is booked and you have a relatively small job . From what I understand Tom is a great guy and wouldn't get to bent over you going to #2 in a pinch
JRust
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 1 2011, 12:04 PM) *

My 2 cents. I know who you are talking about, and he is good. He also is in demand in your area. Use Tom when he is available, use the new guys when Tom is booked and you have a relatively small job . From what I understand Tom is a great guy and wouldn't get to bent over you going to #2 in a pinch

agree.gif . I'd stick with Tom when it works. If it isn't convenient use the father son team. Tom sounds like he has earned your business. Use him when you can conveniently
JawjaPorsche
It doesn't seem fair that you a choice between two good Teener shops and some of us have none! I envy you! I would go with Tom.
mikea100
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 1 2011, 02:31 PM) *

... We've had a great relationship and he's very honest and trustworthy...

This counts for a lot. I'd go with Tom. Just my 2 cents.
flipb
Appreciate all the feedback. I am lucky to have good shops and honest pros available nearby. Both shops are reasonable, too.

For the record - I don't mind getting my car to Tom's shop... very pleasant drive. The hard part is getting my wife to pick me up or drop me off there. Having Tom take it from his house might be viable.

He's also good about keeping the 914 stored indoors when he has it. I like to hand it over to him around December and tell him to take his time... as long as I get it back by the time the road salt washes away in the spring. happy11.gif
somd914
Man, I have 65+ miles to drive for a shop...

Don't think there are any ethics involved here, just you choice of who you trust with your car. But it's always nice to have options.
Mike Bellis
I just realized... If I take mine to a shop, it may run sooner... biggrin.gif

JACK STANDS FOR LIFE!
bigkensteele
Wish I had your problem! It comes down to deciding whether you are his friend or his customer. If you are his friend, use him. If you are a customer, use whoever you feel like using. As a customer, you really don't owe anyone anything. It is your money, and you can and should spend it however you see fit.

But my guess is that you feel like a friend, since you have helped him so much. I am also guessing that he probably feels somewhat in debt to you for helping put him in a much better situation. For that reason alone, I (personally) would stick with him, just because that is how I am.

Good luck - either way you go, your car will be in good hands, and that means a lot these days.
RickS
I think you did, let's call him Tom, one helluva favor in helping getting him the help he needed to fulfill his dream. You owe him nothing, especially since many customers followed him. It is unfortunate that he chose to open his shop so far away, and even a 10 mile drive to drop off the car is a 20 mile round trip each time. It also sounds like the father/son shop got your car running better than let's call him Tom ever did - no matter how generous with extra free time on something he was unable to get right. Since you owe let's call him Tom nothing, I would go to the father/son local team and use let's call him Tom when the father/son team are too busy - not confiding what work you had them do for you. Everyone understands time, convenience, and competence. On a related note, my wife really loved her stylist who worked down the street. The stylist chose to move 12 miles uptown to a more prestigous area - my wife wished her well and found some one local becuase convenience and time are precious.
VaccaRabite
Stick with the guy you trust and have a working relationship with.
Get a tow bar and mounts from Rennmetal and flat tow your car to the shop when it needs it.
Zach
a914dude
Get a AAA card and send your ride over on the flatbed OR learn to do your own work.
sixaddict
Two shops is like having two girl friends ...nobody HAPPY ! Suspect in your heart you dont want to be a two-timer.......no win situation but its life . Share the love !
hcdmueller
Don't feel too bad. I take my motorcycle for maintenance back in the UK. My mechanic is my friend and I trust him. He is an expert in Italian bikes and has very good rates. It is just over 1000mi round trip from Germany and it is always worth the trip.

I would take the car to the original mechanic for most of your work. I might use the new mechanics for your carbs though. Loyalty goes a long way.
zymurgist
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Nov 1 2011, 02:58 PM) *

How close of a friend are you to Tom?

Where can you get the best bang for your buck?

Personally? I'd give Tom the business. I'd go with someone I can trust everytime. The fact that he's really making the effort to keep your business always says something to me. smile.gif

agree.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.