Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Old Muscle Cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
I've always liked the 60's muscle cars and at one time tried to purchase a 67 Camaro as my first car. The bank didn't like the appraisal on the car ($6700 at that time) and later let me borrow $15000 to buy an 87 Firebird. I think that I would probably still have the Camaro if I had bought it back then.

I would like to get this eventually:

IPB Image

or this:

IPB Image

IPB Image

How about you guys? Have some pictures of your hot rods (or dream rods) that you would care to show?
Mueller
no pictures...1st car at 15 was a '67 Mustang, then a 510(I know, does not qualify), then an early '70s Nova, then a '73 Mach 1...last car that I owned that was a semi-muscle car was an '80's Capri with a full 5 lug SVO suspension and newer 5.0 and 5 speed transmission that I swapped into it....
Levi
Chevelle's Rule
Lou W
I like both the Camaro and the Mustang in your pictures. All my pictures are not digital quality, I had a 1958 Corvette whin I was 15, I paid $90.00 for it in 1973 no engine, trans and no front end on it. My dad and I spent two years putting it back together. That was time well spent, it kept me out of trouble, I plan to do the same with my 14 year old daughter soon. I sold it and bought a 1971 Chevelle SS454, LS5. Then eventually got a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with 351 Windsor and a driving.gif 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a 428 Cobra Jet. I been through quite a few cars since then, but I sure wished I 'd kept those, when I sold them it seemed like I really needed the money then, looking back, I wished I had kept them all. driving.gif
Lou W
Levi- Nice Chevelle!! I had a friend who had a 1965 Chevelle convertable white with blue interior. Man, it was sweet. smile.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Levi @ Aug 2 2004, 04:50 PM)
Chevelle's Rule

Got that right! beerchug.gif
bondo
I started with a 67 Mustang coupe, now I have a 67 fastback. It's my dream car and I'm keeping it forever. Here's a pic:
Levi
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 2 2004, 06:01 PM)
Levi- Nice Chevelle!! I had a friend who had a 1965 Chevelle convertable white with blue interior. Man, it was sweet. smile.gif

Thanks,
I've got a buddy that has a 64 Drop top thats real nice, another friend has a 70 SS LS-6 454 car......
beerchug.gif
Lou W
it's amazing what those cars are going for today, and what they were worth back inth e 60's and the 70's, I've always wanted a 68 or 69 SS396, marina blue would be fine with me. smile.gif
soloracer
Levi: What year is that Chevelle? A friend of mine has a blue one that I believe is a 64 that he converted to a drag racer (tubbed, 454, fibreglass,etc.) It was in rough shape when he got it otherwise I'm sure he would have restored it.
dflesburg
What about my 453 RWHP Mustang Cobra Convertable?
Andyrew
Isa love muscle cars...

Im making my 914 a muscle car.. hehehe

more on that later....
BatAc
I came home from football practice 'n' my oldest brother asked if I wanted to see the NEW family car. Mom would save up the cash 'n' buy a new car every once in awhile. "Sure", I said. There he showed me 'n' the fastest I had yet got to go. I could feel the G forces 'n' my grin wasn't just from the G's. There she stood brand sparklin' new bright orange with two big fat white racin' stripes runnin' down the middle. A hood scoop for the rear induction. Black leather interior, with instrumentation runnin' up a console like a teener. It was a limited 1969 Z28 Camaro 302. Needless to say he was never allowed to buy a family car again.
Levi
QUOTE(soloracer @ Aug 2 2004, 07:07 PM)
Levi: What year is that Chevelle? A friend of mine has a blue one that I believe is a 64 that he converted to a drag racer (tubbed, 454, fibreglass,etc.) It was in rough shape when he got it otherwise I'm sure he would have restored it.

Its a 66, it runs real strong..... fun car.
beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Levi.. man I gotta ask you to dump the girly avatars... the Excellence article is on the stands...

All I need is PG13... NOT 13 Y/O's...LOL

Please << asking nicely

B
cha914
Hmm...ss396 you say...this should be arriving to the shop this week:

IPB Image

or how bout a 72 Z28?

IPB Image

although my fav right now is the 67 el camino with a 454:

IPB Image

Very sweet cars, this is really my first time getting to wrench on, and drive these beasts...they definitely arnt german, but they are fun in a totally different kind of way...but man...unassisted 4 wheel drum brakes are SCARY w00t.gif

Yours,

Tony
GWN7
I had 2 68 Camero's. A plain Jane 327 and a RS convertible 350

now that I'm older I have this...mines blue and not quite as nice, but getting there. biggrin.gif 68 Impalla SS Convertible
MattR
I love muscle cars! My brother has a 65 mustang coupe he rebuilt from the ground up (its actually for sale because he's going overseas) that I absolutly loved. It has a 289, but it has plenty of power for what it is.

I grew up in my mom's 56 chevy belair. Its still sitting in the back yard... I swear Im going to fix it up when Im done with the teener.

One of my friends from school has a 67 Camaro he wedged a 472 big block into. That thing is friggen SWEET.

IPB Image

IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
My fav Muscle car is a truck. A 1978 Dodge Lil' Red Express. In 1978 The Dodge Li'l Red Express was the fastest American made vehicle from 0 to 100 MPH. My neighbor had one. One I will also, but it has to be a 78, in 79 they went from single round headhlights to 4 square.
charlesmac
Just sold a 71 duster w/ a 318, i know it's not what most people think of when you say muscle car, but it was a great daily driver. Had to have the money for concrete for the garage i'm building, then i can work on the teener. biggrin.gif a friend of mine is buying a 69 camaro RS, mostly complete, for $600, i'm looking forward to helping turn some wrenches on that!
Bruce Allert
Got out of the Navy in '71 and got a 67 PURPLE Camaro rolleyes.gif Tires were SOOO big I couldn't have anyone in the back seat over 100 lbs. rolleyes.gif Had fun with that car & sold it before I got into too much trouble.

Later in life (about 1996) I bought an '82 Collector Edition Corvette with 38k on it. Quite the cruiser. Not much on cornering since it was the heaviest Vette made but you could drive for miles...... forever in it beer.gif

........b
seanery
You drove for Miles in 96? I didn't know he had that kind of $ biggrin.gif
djm914-6
My dream car list includes several early american cars.

Split bumper Camaro (71?)
Bandit Trans Am
Split window Corvette
GTO Judge (mid model)

My mom had a Judge that the bank took back about the time my Father was KIA. That car would be worth something now. I can't believe the prices of big engine T/As.
dinomium
I had a 75 Camaro LT in High skool
I would LOVE some big detroit iron in my yard!!!
PorscheTom
Ok guys, enough with all of the 'common' Detroit iron...

...now for something totally different.

Here are a couple pics of some of my cars I've had just in the last couple years before switching back to Porsche's...

1st is a '72 AMC Javelin/AMX Trans Am clone. Modeled after the Mark Donahue '71 TA champ. It was a AMC 401 CI V/8 with a super T10 4 speed w/Hurst short shifter and twin grip axle. That car was kick ass but I got real tired of getting pulled over by the cops thinking I was driving a race car on the highway. Sold it. Went to Penn. My current '78 928 replaced this car.

2nd is a '73 AMC Gremlin X. Before you laugh, this puppy also has a AMC 401 CI V/8, 727 automatic and twin grip. It would roast the tires on command. It really should've been tubbed for wider tires so I could get some traction once in awhile. All custom interior, etc... I loved this car, but I rediscovered 914s and sold it and bought my current 914. This car ended up going to S.C. All my cars seem to go to the east coast.

3rd - I don't have a picture of on this computer... is a 1967 Rambler Rogue Convertible. I still have this one. This is one rare cat, that's why I still have it. 1 of 921 built. White with white top and black & white interior. Engine is a AMC 290 CI V/8 with an automatic console shift - also very rare. Fun car to drive. No one knows what it is until they read the name tags, then the scratching of the head begins....

Anyway, just to interject some different muscle cars, I thought I'd post my most recient cars. I've had others but I don't have any pics of them on this computer.

Hope you enjoy the pics, here is the Jav/AmX...
PorscheTom
and here's the Gremlin X...
skline
I love the old muscle cars, my last one was a 67 Chevelle, I got it for 1600.00 for a guy up in Brea and did a frame off on it. Built a 383 full roller motor for it. 475+ HP with 535 fpt. The first car I have ever driven that would pull the front end up off the ground. Scared the hell out of me not to mention how hard it was on the front end coming down. I only did it once. One fo the guys that saw me do it is the one who bought the car. I have had a 69 Camaro RS with a 327 and a factory 4 speed, a 70 Z28 RS I bought for 600.00 and restored, its now in Australia for 12k. My first car was a 69 Ford galaxie 500 2 door with a 429 CJ in it. I miss that car. Bought it for 500.00 from my next door neighbor back in 74. Here is a picture of the Chevelle. I sold it about 5 years ago. This is what it looked like when I bought it.
skline
Here it is about the time I sold it.
scotty
There's something about raw muscle...when I was 10 (1969)...my uncle gave us a ride in his new 69 Dodge Polara Police Pursuit (440). Sheeeee-it! What a monster! That's the first time I was ever scared out of my gourd in a car. The siren was cool, though wink.gif
seanery
My dad had a 64 Plymouth factory light weight 426 Max Wedge when he was young. Aluminum bumpers, fenders, every other seat spring removed, no ventilation, no radio, push button tranny. He used to race at IRP and on the streets. Once, the Ramchargers were there and broke something on their car, he loaned them his (they said they'd fix whatever they broke). He said they put their foot to the floor then pushed the "D" button. It was the fastest his car ever ran. Nothing broke.

Mopars can be ugly, but they were beasts back then driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I grew up in So Cal, maybe 10 miles from Covina, where Gas Ronda was, and an equal distance from La Habra, where"Dyno" Don Nicholson was based. My sister's boyfriend in HS was a motorhead, and drove a '64 Fairlaine T-Bolt. THAT was an awesome ride. Obscure, very few were built, but amazingly fast. I had one of only 2 VWs in my HS parking lot at the time, and the other one was my cousins. Not exactly a hot rodding family at that time. The Cap'n
iamchappy
The muscle cars from when I was young, 1970 Nova ss 396 stage 2 wish I had that one, my brother special ordered it, I was with him when he picked out the options, I couldn't persuade him to get the 427 stage 3 it was only a few hundred more. It ran 12.29 in the 1/4. The nice thing was he let me drive it for a summer.
I had a 1968 AMX 390 in high school, fun and very fast car. It was appreciated by Mark Donahue who choose to race the AMX and Javelins over the Cameros and cleaned up. It was American Motors only bright spot because the rest was covered by rust.
kafermeister
...Hi, my name is Rick and I'm a closet Muscle car fan....

Especially if they've got polished Americans. Even more so if the car in question is black with polished Americans.

beerchug.gif

Rick
TJB/914
Hi All,

I love Detroit iron. I was one of the Woodward guys looking for street races. Here's one of my former cars. 1970 Mustang Mach-1 351 Clev. 4-bbl M-Code. This is a car I restored with my son (tom) when he turned 16. I remember one day while driving on Orchard Lake Rd. A car load of young guys/girls pulled up alongside. Got the thumbs up by all & heard one of the young girls say. But look at that old guys driving it. Of course I layed a little rubber & went home to sulk.

Tom
TJB/914
Hey Guys,

Another former Muscle car of mine. 1962 Dodge with 413 Max Wedge. Really liked this car & drove the wheels off it. It was quick.

Tom
TJB/914
Another one.(just the engine)\

Detroit Iron was plentiful & cheap. Here's a 1957 Corvette F.I. engine I bought for my 29 Hi-Boy Ford Roadster. Didn't get it to run right & junked it out. What a dumb move.

Tom
Meredith
Along with my future 914/6, I'm also planning on owning a '66 Mustang Fastback. No really, it'll happen someday! But until then, I am taking donations. biggrin.gif

Mer
jd74914
I have to say I love mustangs (64 1/2- to 68) AND THE BOSS 302 IS THE . . . ohmy.gif

But i'm more of a hotrod guy, latest car is a 1950 ford f-1 I got from my dad. Its a 50's hotrod, so I'm planning to restore it that way. sorry, no pics, but here is one of what it will look like eventually. wink.gif
Meredith
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 4 2004, 07:20 AM)
But i'm more of a hotrod guy, latest car is a 1950 ford f-1 I got from my dad. Its a 50's hotrod, so I'm planning to restore it that way. sorry, no pics, but here is one of what it will look like eventually. wink.gif

That's a beautiful truck. Dad and I went to Hot August Nights in Reno yesterday and saw a few pickups you would probably like. There was a sweet Chevy with a Corvette engine that I wouldn't mind having.

Mer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.