Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater ducting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
custm2500
I just bought a 1975 and trying to figure out the heater ducting. There is a blower right behind the drivers head, on hose going accross the engine and it has two outlets. I am guessing the second one doens't have a hose. I am guessing I need to hook the hose up and replace the "missing" hose.

Air blows out of the vents but not warm air. Thanks. IF you could post pics of your engine compartment that would be awesome.
SLITS
Porsche decided that a two hose outlet was not needed, AFAIR, sometime after '73. A single outlet blower was fitted with a single hose to the passenger? side "J" tube. The drivers' side was capped off (or visa versa).

Persons desiring the air to the HEs to be split, mounted a splitter on the blower and fed both HEs.

Understand the blower is only for lo rpm use as the engine cooling impeller takes over forcing air thru the HEs when you are off idle.
TheCabinetmaker
Actually, I think it was the other way around Ron. My 73 (Ibought it new)had only one hose from the fan and the passenger side j tube capped. My 75 (I'm the second owner) had the splitter on the fan and hoses on both sides.

"Air blows out the vents". Which vents? Floor or defrost or dash? Are your heater valves hooked up to the tubes in the longs under the car?
custm2500
Air comes out of the defrost vents and foot vents as I choose. I didn't run it long but didn't get any heat. So I knew the hose was not hooked up and wasn't sure if the motor wasn't warm or the hose was intrigal.

So a Y should come off the blow motor box and connect to the one vent tube.
TheCabinetmaker
The "Y" is attached to the blower motor and has two hoses. one goes to the drivers side "J" tube and the other to the passenger side.

I'll post a few pics in a couple of minutes
custm2500
At all this ducting is for low speed regardless? So I will need to get the car warm and drive it down the road to confirm the heat is working.

Then address this ducting for low speed correct?
TheCabinetmaker

splitter
IPB Image

with drivers j tube
IPB Image

passenger j tube to right of coil
IPB Image

passenger side hose
IPB Image

drivers hose
IPB Image

Hope this helps
custm2500
Absolutly! Thanks. I thought this was how it would go but wanted to confirm.

This is what I have now.
IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
I suspose it really doesn't matter which hose goes to which j tube.
custm2500
Cool thanks again. Just to confirm this is for low speed anyhow. High speed I should have heat if everything else is in good shape.
SLITS
You will not get heat from the vents in the dash ... only the defroster vents and floor vents are heat capable.

The vents on the dash are "fresh air" vents only and are tied to the fresh air blower mounted under the cowl.
type47
Posted info in the PartsVault about the hoses. Original NLA from short search. Anybody know a source with the size of the hose? 60 x 260 for drivers side, 60 x 290 for passenger side.
Rob-O
Are you sure SLITS? I thought the hose for the fresh air vent came off of the defrost piece in the front trunk. If that's the case, the air diverting box is beneath that. If you can get air to the defroster vent, it should also be going to the dash vent too. Could be way off on that, but that's how I remember it. Of course now I'm going to go look.

Hey custm 2500, I'm not sure how much you know about 914's, but one thing not mentioned here is that there is a lot going on beneath the engine sheet metal as well. Those hoses that are shown in the photos need to go to the 'J' tubes (mentioned in an earlier post) and then the air is passed over the heat exchangers and then through the 'flapper boxes' that are on the ends of the heat exchangers. From the flapper boxes it passes through a hose that connects it to the large tubes that run through the rocker panel. So you would also need all of that associated hardware. In addition to all of that, there is a lever in the interior of the vehicle, about 3 inches south of the shifter. That lever controls the opening of the flapper boxes via some wires connected to the lever that exit out of the firewall. Those wires basically open and close the flappers. Also there is a small electrical wire on the lever that when the lever is engaged, turns on the blower fan in the engine compartment.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 2 2011, 01:29 PM) *

Posted info in the PartsVault about the hoses. Original NLA from short search. Anybody know a source with the size of the hose? 60 x 260 for drivers side, 60 x 290 for passenger side.

Go here.http://www.bughaus.com/beetle_hoses.htm
Letter E.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 2 2011, 08:31 AM) *

Actually, I think it was the other way around Ron. My 73 (Ibought it new)had only one hose from the fan and the passenger side j tube capped. My 75 (I'm the second owner) had the splitter on the fan and hoses on both sides.

"Air blows out the vents". Which vents? Floor or defrost or dash? Are your heater valves hooked up to the tubes in the longs under the car?

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 2 2011, 01:30 PM) *

Are you sure SLITS? I thought the hose for the fresh air vent came off of the defrost piece in the front trunk. If that's the case, the air diverting box is beneath that. If you can get air to the defroster vent, it should also be going to the dash vent too. Could be way off on that, but that's how I remember it. Of course now I'm going to go look.

Hey custm 2500, I'm not sure how much you know about 914's, but one thing not mentioned here is that there is a lot going on beneath the engine sheet metal as well. Those hoses that are shown in the photos need to go to the 'J' tubes (mentioned in an earlier post) and then the air is passed over the heat exchangers and then through the 'flapper boxes' that are on the ends of the heat exchangers. From the flapper boxes it passes through a hose that connects it to the large tubes that run through the rocker panel. So you would also need all of that associated hardware. In addition to all of that, there is a lever in the interior of the vehicle, about 3 inches south of the shifter. That lever controls the opening of the flapper boxes via some wires connected to the lever that exit out of the firewall. Those wires basically open and close the flappers. Also there is a small electrical wire on the lever that when the lever is engaged, turns on the blower fan in the engine compartment.

Actually, I think I did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.