Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift Cable-shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevin311
My Dad and I thought it would be a fun project to try and build a Cable shifter for my teener.
I can drive the car just fine with the regular shifter but he absolutely hates it. I cant really blame him, even after new bushings and adjustment its like playing with a stick in a sand bucket.

I have seen the set-up that is on http://www.etischer.com/914cableshift.html but figured i could simplify it a bit.

Heres what we have so far (please excuse the factory rustproofing (oil) still chasing leaks) and remember its still in mock up phase.. so things like where the cables attach to the transmission will be reinforced in the end. i will post more when its finished and cleaned up.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Pics of the shifter i used (3000gt) and new shift knob (3 for $5 on ebay biggrin.gif )
The cables aren't attached yet but this is pretty much where it will be positioned in the car. Most of the base plate will be cut off also to clean it up.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This will all be hidden under the center cushion(sp?) in the last pic that i will build a new base for.

So far I'm about $110 into this project
8' marine Teleflex cable $30
6' Teleflex cable $27
Rod ends $25
Shifter $15 (pick and pull)
misc. (bolts, clips etc.) $10

Any comments or criticism are welcome! poke.gif
BajaXJ92
Very interesting! I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

I hope you don't have to dump too much more money into the project, as you could've put that money towards doing an actual side shift transmission swap, considering you can find all of the necessary parts and transmission.

Keep us updated with those pics! smile.gif
kevin311
Thanks!
All the budgeted money for this is spent and I actually ended up with a lot of extras.
Even if it does't work out as planned its all reversible as we didn't modify the any of the existing shifter just bolted on a plate.
In the end it's just a cool way to spend a weekend or two outside with my dad. beerchug.gif
smontanaro
> In the end it's just a cool way to spend a weekend or two outside with my dad.

As they say in the commercial, "priceless". Probably more fun than a side-shift conversion to boot.
andys
Kevin,

Good that you protoyped first. There's lots to be learned from that. You might consider a bellcrank and short link to translate the movement so that you can use a straight cable rather than that long looping one. Take a look at how the Boxster cable linkage is done as an example.

Andys
DBCooper
Your Dad's right, and I personally don't even like side-shifters. Actually if you come up with a good solution I think you'll see that the line to copy it will stretch around the block. Side-shifter transmissions and their components are more and more scarce, while tailshifters are easy to find and almost throwaway items. For a cable mechanism there's almost no difference between the two, and the tail-shifter is probably even easier. I'm betting you'll see a lot of interest in this thread, but most important, have fun!

pcar916
Interesting. I'm about to do this for a 915 I'm slowly converting for my 914. I agree about a bellcrank to get both cables parallel to each other... shorter and away from the exhaust heat.
Ductech
The best bit of info for me really is the knowledge of yet another oem cable shifted car (the 3000gt) to scavenge parts off of at the local junk yard. Good work and keep up the fabing sawzall-smiley.gif
kevin311
beerchug.gif Thanks everybody.
I like the idea of the bellcrank I may go that route if my idea for cable routing doesn't work out. Im trying to keep the least amount of connection points possible.
I researched alot of cars that have cable shifters, the 3000gt/stealth shifters had the right cable movement.
Most mitsubishi Eclipses have a similar shifter thats actually more compact than the one i have.
Most FWD 5 speed (accords, civics, jettas,etc.) cars have a cable shifter, it's just a matter of finding one that moves in the correct directions for your needs.
Thanks for all the feedback!
Kevin
davidj
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Nov 2 2011, 09:52 AM) *

Thanks!
All the budgeted money for this is spent and I actually ended up with a lot of extras.
Even if it does't work out as planned its all reversible as we didn't modify the any of the existing shifter just bolted on a plate.
In the end it's just a cool way to spend a weekend or two outside with my dad. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

Im also interested in how this comes out. keep up the good work! aktion035.gif
strawman
Great mock-up. I built a cable shifter for my Suby-powered 914, although I'm using a "tailshift" Subaru transaxle converted to 2wd. I used the same size cables for my mock-up, but -- based on how it feels (car is still not running) -- I believe they'll be too flimsy for actual use. So I'm planning on going to a heavier-duty cables after I finally get it running. Nonetheless, I'm interested in hearing your experience with this cable set-up when you get it all together.
kevin311
A little progress on the shifter,

I got the cables routed and connected them to the shifter and made a new bottom piece for my center cushion to clear the cables. I also finished off the shift knob.

The shifter is still not mounted to the floor but I can shift through the gears nicely already. It feels smooth but notchy. I can't wait to drive it.

All thats left is to clean everything up, reinforce the linkage at the transmission, mount the shifter, and buy a shift boot. My plan for the hole in the carpet from the original shifter is to make a cup holder that mounts there.

When I saw this video on youtube the whole cable-shift idea made sense, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmaxYd1WNI Thanks to DBCooper!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
andys
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Nov 8 2011, 01:07 PM) *

A little progress on the shifter,

I got the cables routed and connected them to the shifter and made a new bottom piece for my center cushion to clear the cables. I also finished off the shift knob.

The shifter is still not mounted to the floor but I can shift through the gears nicely already. It feels smooth but notchy. I can't wait to drive it.

All thats left is to clean everything up, reinforce the linkage at the transmission, mount the shifter, and buy a shift boot. My plan for the hole in the carpet from the original shifter is to make a cup holder that mounts there.

When I saw this video on youtube the whole cable-shift idea made sense, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmaxYd1WNI Thanks to DBCooper!

If I may make one suggestion; on the transaxle, the transverse cable (I'm going to assume that's the gate) would best if it were on center with the shift shaft. That would help keep it's action normal to the shaft, and minimize the tendancy of odd feedback to the shit lever in the cabin. Notice they did that on the vid you referenced. Below is my linkage (different trans of course), though I had to reverse the gate with the bellcrank.

Your progress looks good.

Andys

Spoke
Nice job.

Keep up the good work.
kevin311
Just a couple of (phone quality) videos of the progress on the shifter (please remember it's still in the rough phase).
I was able to drive it down through my neighborhood today and it feels nice and solid. Now its just a matter of making it look pretty and welding some tabs for the shifter plate in the car (instead of the bolts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjwAOJYZgZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xux6fxTgkZ0

A couple of people so far have suggested to keep the cables parallel and use a bellcrank. What are the advantages of that setup and what disadvantages would my setup have?
In my head I wanted the least connection points possible to reduce the number of possible "slop inducers".

Thanks again for all the great comments and suggestions! beerchug.gif
Kevin
jimkelly
i don't see no slop there : )

looks like job well done.

driving-girl.gif

zymurgist
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 15 2011, 07:14 AM) *

i don't see no slop there : )

looks like job well done.

driving-girl.gif

agree.gif aktion035.gif
kevin311
Thanks guys! I've been driving it around all day and it feels like a different car now. Its awesome! piratenanner.gif
broomhandle
that is way cool.... the side shift is no better than the tail, they both suck. 915 is a better trans. What you did is great with what you have.... awesome! good job!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Nov 2 2011, 10:26 AM) *

So far I'm about $110 into this project
8' marine Teleflex cable $30
6' Teleflex cable $27
Rod ends $25
Shifter $15 (pick and pull)
misc. (bolts, clips etc.) $10

Any comments or criticism are welcome! poke.gif

Well done!

I will give you $220 for the whole setup - double your money just like that!! smile.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Nov 15 2011, 02:42 PM) *

that is way cool.... the side shift is no better than the tail, they both suck. 915 is a better trans. What you did is great with what you have.... awesome! good job!

Actually a good shifting 901 is better than a bad shifting 915, and considering that he already had the 901 in the car (meaning no cost) there's no comparison, the 901's the deal.

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 15 2011, 02:45 PM) *

I will give you $220 for the whole setup - double your money just like that!! smile.gif

That's probably the very best comment that could be made about your project, so well done. What you've done is cheaper than a conversion to a side shifter, is a lot less work, and it ends up shifting better than a converted car too. My kids said my car now shifts like a "normal", meaning modern, car. Like I said, make drawings and you can sell that to every tail shift guy out there who's constantly annoyed about having to row for second or reverse.
Dr Evil
I have been working (mentally) on a similar design, with a secret upgrade that will make it more gated and less springy happy11.gif I wish I have more time to do R and D and am glad to see others plodding along with other solutions thumb3d.gif

For cable mods, the tails are very easy. The sides can be, but take a little more finesse to design wink.gif

BTW, when I rebuild a 901, they shift like a dream.
Kraftwerk
How do the rod ends attach to the cable? Are they crimped ? swedged etc?
What about the housing is that included in the cable cost?
would love to get my tail shifter a bit more "specific" in its shifting.
I have two of these transmissions, This project makes good sense. Nice work!
Time well spent. I would be sweet to see the brackets powder coated or better: fab-ed in S/S. Yet that would make your costs escalate. Anyway thanks for doing this.
Frankly the guy who did the amazing suby cable- transmission (u-tube link) made it seem really out of reach to us mere mortals.
Andys set up looks great as well, where is that one from?
andys
You could also check to see what the dune buggy guys are doing for mid-engined buggies to get some ideas. Here's a Jamar shifter on Dan's site (bottom of page): http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/...buggyshift2.htm

BTW, the best source for push-pull cables that I've used for years, is Control Cables Inc. They make up the cables to your specs out of CableCraft components (McMaster-Carr re-sells the same). One phone call and a credit card, and you're done......and they know what they're talikng about.

Andys
FourBlades

Very useful thread! Nice work.

Gives us a use for all the tail shifters clogging up people's garages.

John
kevin311
Thanks again everyone!
The cables/rod ends are threaded which gives a little adjustment on each end that helped to center the gate when in neutral. The cables are held in place with circlips and we used the bosses already mounted to the shifter base to attach to. This is still rough and nowhere near finished yet.
This weekend I will be tearing it all down to clean away all the excess metal and reinforce the point where it connects to the transmission. I also want to build a shield for the cable that runs across the back of the transmission to protect it from road debris, and install the rubber linkage protectors that came with the oem 3000gt cables.
Also the badassnes in that YouTube video is DBCooper who posted a few before yours!
beerchug.gif Thanks again
Kevin
Kansas 914
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Nov 16 2011, 04:14 PM) *

Thanks again everyone!
The cables/rod ends are threaded which gives a little adjustment on each end that helped to center the gate when in neutral. The cables are held in place with circlips and we used the bosses already mounted to the shifter base to attach to. This is still rough and nowhere near finished yet.
This weekend I will be tearing it all down to clean away all the excess metal and reinforce the point where it connects to the transmission. I also want to build a shield for the cable that runs across the back of the transmission to protect it from road debris, and install the rubber linkage protectors that came with the oem 3000gt cables.
beerchug.gif Thanks again
Kevin

popcorn[1].gif
sean_v8_914
creative. nice work.
did you drive it yet?
kevin311
Yea I drove it around for about 4 hours the other day with no problems. Its like driving a different car. Way better than my old sideshift piratenanner.gif (although that car was pretty rough)
This weekend im hopefully going to finish it all off.
Thanks
Kevin
Dr Evil
Its nice to hear that this is working out.
DBCooper
"Its like driving a different car. Way better than my old sideshift"

Inspiration, Doc, inspiration. Do the 914 world a favor, go for it.
kevin311
Hey just a quick update, I didn't get to do as much this weekend as I would have liked but i got the shifter cleaned up inside the car and made my cup holder to cover up the hole for the original shifter. Now I just have to decide if i want a shift boot or not. I kinda like the mechanical look. idea.gif
I have been driving it a little bit everyday and have had no problems at all. I've also been messing around with the adjustments and think I have it dialed in pretty well.
This turned out to be a great alternative to a side shift conversion. It was cheaper, didn't involve removing the engine or transmission, it was a fun project and in the end I think my trans shifts now better than a side shift in the same condition with a rod linkage.

Thanks again!
Kevin

IPB Image
IPB Image

As a reference
IPB Image
andys
The mechanical look seems appealing enough; probably could leave it like it is. A boot would take some thought, as you'd have to devise a way to cover the whole assembly to look decent. You might also think about patterning out your own boot, and get someone to sew it for you. I'll probably go that wat on mine.

How's the location of the shifter work for you? I ask because it seems to be quite a bit back in relation to the original shifter position.

Andys
Dr Evil
Bad ass, Kevin. Bad ass!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 22 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Bad ass, Kevin. Bad ass!

agree.gif, Kevin. agree.gif!
kevin311
Thanks for the comments, they put a huge smile on my face! beerchug.gif

I actually like the shifter position, it is a good bit farther back than the original and i thought it might make me hit my elbow on the backpad but the throw is so much shorter it hasn't been an issue. The biggest advantage of the new position is I dont have to move my leg under the steering wheel to get into first or reverse. (6' 2" with long legs)
I hadn't thought of making my own shift boot idea.gif That seems like a much better idea than trying to adapt one. Plus I could match it to my interior. I think thats the route I'll go. Thanks andys beerchug.gif

Safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Kevin
kevin311
Got a little bit of work done this weekend but my real job is not giving me much tinkering time lately.
Started working on the shift boot, cleaned up and painted one of the brackets on the transmission and installed the rubber dust protectors on the cables. I still have to reinforce the linkage at the transmission, trim and paint the other bracket and finish the shift boot.
I've driven the car probably about 1500-2000 miles since the project started and have had no issues other than when I take it apart and forget to adjust something on reassembly. It just makes me want to get the transmission rebuilt to see what it can really feel like. idea.gif
I wanted to keep this simple as possible and I think it worked out pretty well. If anybody wants any measurements or info please let me know. I am not planning (as of now) to make any more of these, but will gladly share what I've learned. It would be easy to replicate.

Thanks again beerchug.gif
Kevin

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

another reference photo
IPB Image
cwpeden
I have used the Teleflex cable for all types of marine applications and I recommend you pay attention to the minimum bend radius. I ran into a few situations where approaching the min. radius reduced the life of the cable significantly. And to quote Andys you wouldnt want any odd "feedback" blink.gif

"If I may make one suggestion; on the transaxle, the transverse cable (I'm going to assume that's the gate) would best if it were on center with the shift shaft. That would help keep it's action normal to the shaft, and minimize the tendancy of odd feedback to the" shit "lever in the cabin. Notice they did that on the vid you referenced. Below is my linkage (different trans of course), though I had to reverse the gate with the bellcrank.

Your progress looks good."

Andys
[/quote]
Dr Evil
I am happy that this is working so well as I can see a few places for improvement, but they are not necessary smile.gif Great starting point. Best of all, you are happy and that is what it is all about.
kevin311
I did a little work today on the shifter, nothing much just some final tweaks and started
getting the shifter base ready to be welded in.
Its been 7 months since I built this thing and it has been working great! Even with the shifter not fully secured in the car. Its still held on with one bracket and a clamp through the heater lever hole. blink.gif But that will be taken care of next week.

I took some video after working on it today, you can see the play at the shifter and hear the creaking, we are going to weld it in with some L-brackets

Click on the pic to see the video
IPB Image

Please excuse the high idle and funky AFR readings I'm still tuning my megasquirt system

Let me know what you think,

Thanks
Kevin
DBCooper
I think you did a helluva fine job, and it all cost how much? If you get a chance post those dimensions, I think you'll help a lot of people out. Good work, Kevin.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.