Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting up the Brakes. Woes! Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
I am in the UK. I have replaced the pads on the rear of my 1973 1.7 US spec. The inner pad clearance is almost non existent and is binding on the disc!? They are aftermarket pads and seem too deep. Any thoughts? Was thinking of putting some shims in place to allow for clearance while i run the pads in?! Thoughts?

Also: The handbrake arm/lever at the back of the same caliper (LHD Drivers rear) is hardly returning to position. The handbrake is proving very difficult to adjust correctly eg to get it to work! and pull enough force on the arm/ lever. Is there a way to adjust the arm/lever so that it 'returns'? Any thoughts?
SLITS
If the handbrake lever on the caliper does not return on it's own:

1.) spring broken
2.) Crummy, rusty inside caliper bore
3.) If still attached to the handbrake cable ... handbrake cable is rusted inside.

Time to contact Eric Shea for a set of rebuilts and/or check the handbrake cables.

As far as the non-fitting pads:

1.) Did you retract the pistons completely?
2.) Do the venting clearance adjustors function?

I have had pads that were to thick ... a belt sander worked wonderfully. If number 2, see Eric Shea.

Good luck ...

SLITS
double post hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.