Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name that carriage bolt!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
Click to view attachment

It is too long to be the alternator bolt, and that one is accounted for.

I vaguely remember seeing it before, but I can't remember what/where it came from. To give you an idea of where it could have come from, I will tell you where I have been.

- removed engine/tranny (75 1.8)
- rebuilt tranny
- took engine down to shortblock, replaced accessable seals, did a lot of cleaning and painting
- removed gas tank, replaced all soft lines, filter
- ran SS fuel lines in the tunnel
- replaced all vacuum hoses
- replaced 1.8 exhaust with SSEs, 2.0 ducting and a bursch

Getting ready to put the motor back in, but I would really like to find the home for this thing. I have a feeling it could be important.

Thanks,
Ken
Valy
I bet this is not a metric bolt and probably not from your car.
Can you measure the diameter and thread?
McMark
Lower alternator mount bolt.

Pic is a 912E engine, but same difference. wink.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 2 2011, 06:07 PM) *

I bet this is not a metric bolt and probably not from your car.
Can you measure the diameter and thread?

Looks like you might be correct. I thought that it was M6, but an M6 nut would not fit. I am starting to think that this didn't come from the car, but I can't figure out how it ended up in my "cleaned parts" area. Thanks!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 06:14 PM) *

Lower alternator mount bolt.

Pic is a 912E engine, but same difference. wink.gif

Nope, it is probably about 1.5" too long for that, and I already mounted the alternator with the correct bolt. After reading Valy's post above, I tried an M6 nut on it, and it appears to be SAE. So, I am guessing this came from somewhere else, but I can't think for the life of me where it would have come from, much less ended up in the area I reserved for parts that I have cleaned for reassembly.
confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.