Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hood rust question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
Since we have been trying to bust ass on my car and get it all in primer in the next few weeks, I decided to start messing with the front hood. I knew it had a few rust bubbles, but shouldn't be that big of a problem. After I got the paint all stripped and was cleaning things up, I noticed that this hood had foam? in the very nose of it. Now I know where the rust came from and why the hood on my other car is rusting in the same place!!!! Does the hood need this foam or am I better off digging it out ??
SirAndy
QUOTE(David_S @ Aug 3 2004, 07:52 AM)
Does the hood need this foam or am I better off digging it out ??

if it is what i think it is, it's supposed to prevent rust!
works for the first 15 years or so until the foam gets brittle, then it starts trapping water and voila, you got rust!

there's the same kind of foam in the rear fenders above the tail-light bend.
same thing, after 30+ years it has turned into a sponge.

rip it out ...

wink.gif Andy
David_S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 3 2004, 11:21 AM)

there's the same kind of foam in the rear fenders above the tail-light bend.
same thing, after 30+ years it has turned into a sponge.

rip it out ...

wink.gif  Andy

Good.....I was hoping that was the thing to do. I spent a couple of hours last night digging the crap out of the nose of the hood. When we get around to working the back half, I will remember to dig it out too!!! Thanks again Andy !!!!!! aktion035.gif
Katmanken
There's a chunk o'foam in the rear trunk lid too. Right at the center above the lock. Right above where you put your fingers to open the trunk.

Ask me how I know..... wacko.gif

Ken with the lacerated fingers.....

PS. had the trunk dipped/stripped and they got rid of the foam and all the rust in the fold area at the rear of the trunk. No more lacerations smile.gif

Best 65 bucks I spent.

Ken
davep
The foam was there for stiffness. A cynic like myself might say that it was designed to promote sales of replacement parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.