Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still having heat issues.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
custm2500
I have the pushing fan hooked up. and the hoses seem to be connected. The heat exchangers are getting warm but not hot. I am compleatly lost. Everything seems to work but still no heat.

The flapers on the front of the heat exchangers seem to move properly too.
TheCabinetmaker
How long are you running the engine trying to get it hot? The heat exchangers will burn the chit out of ya. Are the hoses hooked from the flappers to the tube at the rear of the firewall? Red heater knob pulled all the way back?
tradisrad
I would expect your heat exchangers to get HOT.

The hot air has to get from the exchangers to the cabin. Are there any blockages between the engine compartment and the cabin? I used the shop vac on the blowing side and forced air into the cabin through the engine compartment tubes. In my case I found that the tube had been blocked by duct tape.
SirAndy
QUOTE(custm2500 @ Nov 3 2011, 12:22 PM) *
I have the pushing fan hooked up. and the hoses seem to be connected. The heat exchangers are getting warm but not hot. I am compleatly lost. Everything seems to work but still no heat.

The flapers on the front of the heat exchangers seem to move properly too.

Probably a dumb question, but are you sure your vent controls on your dashboard are set correctly?

You won't get much heat if the front flappers are closed or if you're running the front fresh air fan.

idea.gif

PS: Also, make sure your heater tubes inside the logs aren't blocked. You'd be surprised about the amount of crap i have vacuumed out of those in the past. Anything from mouse nests to dead rats to dog food to shop rags.
JRust
Is your fan actually working? I hooked mine up the other day but didn''t get any heat either. My fan isn't turning on when I pull the lever. I haven't even started to figure out why. If your fan is pushing air like it should? you will have heat confused24.gif
tradisrad
The fan is not necssary to have heat. It only really helps in traffic/ at idle.

Jrust, some relay boards require a jumper to make the fan work. I've got a picture and I'll try and find it.
custm2500
The car came off the road and sat for about 10-15 min. We put it on the lift and then let it run for another 10-15 minutes. The heat exchangers could still be touched but they got warm, not hot. The pushing fan is blowing and the flappers were moving. the front fans were also blowing and we tried the heat selector in every possible selection.

The passanger heat exchanger has the pushing tube hooked up and the driver side doesn't. Be event blocking off the other side of the pushing blower it didn't blow any heat into the car.
TheCabinetmaker
Hook up the hose on the drivers side. All three dash levers to the left.
TheCabinetmaker
What do you mean by "the flappers are moving"?
TheCabinetmaker
Be event blocking off the other side of the pushing blower it didn't blow any heat into the car.

Please explain this stament.
Spoke
QUOTE(custm2500 @ Nov 3 2011, 04:30 PM) *

the front fans were also blowing and we tried the heat selector in every possible selection.

The front fan only blows cold air into the cabin from the cowl. The top slider should be all the way to the left which will turn the front fan off and close the intake from the cowl.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 3 2011, 01:57 PM) *
The front fan only blows cold air into the cabin from the cowl.

agree.gif

That was my point above. The front fan is COLD AIR only. If it is running, it will push in cold air from the cowl area, negating any heat coming from the exchangers.

shades.gif
jsayre914

The car came off the road and sat for about 10-15 min. We put it on the lift and then let it run for another 10-15 minutes. The heat exchangers could still be touched but they got warm, not hot.

screwy.gif
That seems damn impossible. My heats get as hot as my exhaust. Ask me how I know rolleyes.gif . Dosnt seem possible for your car to run for ten min and then still be able to grab the exchanger. Somthing dosnt sound right there

WTF.gif
stugray
agree.gif

I also say that after 10 minutes of running you had better NOT be able to touch the heat exchangers.
Watch the video of a cam break-in run for only 15 minutes at 2500 RPM.

The Exhaust was GLOWING red.

Stu
custm2500
Well maybe we are retarded(me, my brother, and my dad).

My dad is buying the car from a guy I work with and the final deciding factor was to make sure the heat worked. Apparntely we didn't try every option becaus the current owner says the heat works just fine.

Like I said everything seemed to work, beside heat coming out.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 3 2011, 04:39 PM) *

The car came off the road and sat for about 10-15 min. We put it on the lift and then let it run for another 10-15 minutes. The heat exchangers could still be touched but they got warm, not hot.

screwy.gif
That seems damn impossible. My heats get as hot as my exhaust. Ask me how I know rolleyes.gif . Dosnt seem possible for your car to run for ten min and then still be able to grab the exchanger. Somthing dosnt sound right there

WTF.gif

agree.gif

I agree something is very wrong here. Those heat exchangers get damn hot! Are you sure you are checking the heat exchangers? They are the things wrapped around the exhaust pipes. I can't imagine them staying that cool unless maybe the exhaust pipes aren't connected! sad.gif
majkos

That does it!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(majkos @ Nov 4 2011, 10:08 AM) *

O.K. Here is a pic of the car warming up. Still no heat laugh.gif
warrenoliver
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 4 2011, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(majkos @ Nov 4 2011, 10:08 AM) *

O.K. Here is a pic of the car warming up. Still no heat laugh.gif

stirthepot.gif
OK, exactly my point. If you crawl under there and put your hand on the heat exchangers, you will find that they are hot to the touch!
potomacmidget
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 3 2011, 03:00 PM) *

Jrust, some relay boards require a jumper to make the fan work. I've got a picture and I'll try and find it.

I was following this thread on heating -when I pull up my interior cabin red lever, I definitely get heat in the car - but the fan does not appear to be spinning. With the car off I can put my fingers in the fan housing and spin it; so it does not appear to be seized - but how exactly does the fan get energized by pulling up the lever - is there a switch somewher that sends 12V the fan? Any advice appreciated.

Reg
SirAndy
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Dec 4 2011, 11:16 AM) *
but how exactly does the fan get energized by pulling up the lever - is there a switch somewher that sends 12V the fan?

The lever is the switch. Take it off and see if the wire is attached. Be careful as the connector is *very* close to the body panels and it's not insulated.

shades.gif
76-914

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 3 2011, 03:00 PM) *

I was following this thread on heating -when I pull up my interior cabin red lever, I definitely get heat in the car - but the fan does not appear to be spinning. With the car off I can put my fingers in the fan housing and spin it; so it does not appear to be seized - but how exactly does the fan get energized by pulling up the lever - is there a switch somewher that sends 12V the fan? Any advice appreciated.

Reg

IIRC it grounds & completes the circuit.
76-914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 3 2011, 12:48 PM) *

Be event blocking off the other side of the pushing blower it didn't blow any heat into the car.

Please explain this stament.

av-943.gif lol-2.gif aktion035.gif
3d914
Correct, it does ground. However I had to do some cleanup on mine to get the ground working. IIRC the plating on the lever inhibited it. Been many years, but with a volt/ohm meter in hand I was able to get it sorted out.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2011, 02:28 PM) *

but how exactly does the fan get energized by pulling up the lever - is there a switch somewher that sends 12V the fan?

The lever is the switch. Take it off and see if the wire is attached. Be careful as the connector is *very* close to the body panels and it's not insulated.

shades.gif

Thanks! I will check it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.