Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another koni question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie Williams
When installing front struts, do you use any sort of oil for coolant. I seem to recall we discussed this, and i did a search but found nada.

When I removed the KYBs inserts and there was a small amount of some fluid in the strut, i figured it was just a blown strut (and a blown strut is a happy strut). Any way is this necessary? And if so what is the preferred fluid?
TimT
Koni used to recommend straight anti-freeze, dunno if they still do
scotty
A cup of oil confused24.gif
Part Pricer
When I installed my new Konis on the front, I put in a small amount of anti-freeze. You really don't need much.

I think it said to do that in the Koni installation instructions. Or, maybe I'm just delusional. w00t.gif
Eddie Williams
I dion't recall seeing anything in the Koni instruction, mostly just pictures. But I check again.
Part Pricer
Don't look too hard. I remembered where I saw it. It's in Jason's write-up on the Paragon site regarding Front Shock Replacement
Eddie Williams
Thanks. I knew I read it some where. Any druthers on oil or anti-freeze?
charlesmac
when i worked at a vw shop in college, my boss told me to use oil, so i did. just my 2cents

charles
JWest
Factory 944 manual says:

The shock absorber housing may be filled with thin oil or ATF to improve cooling.
However the shock absorber housing should not be more than max. 2/3 full, if the cartridge is touching bottom of housing.
If too much oil is added, it will run out of housing when hot. This would automatically cause incorrect diagnosis (defective absorber).
Eddie Williams
I was thinking about some 10W motorcycle fork oil that I have left over.
Brad Roberts
Run them dry.. unless your running the Baja 1000 you wont need "Coolant".

B
maf914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 3 2004, 08:46 PM)
Run them dry.. unless your running the Baja 1000 you wont need "Coolant".

B

Anybody ever run the Baja 1000 in a 914? Or any other Porsche?

I know the factory did the Paris-Dakar with the Rothman 961. Don't know if they won or not. I'm not really a major rally or off-road fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.