Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75' 914 2.0 Oil Temperature
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi again to all 914 owner, any idea what is the normal oil temperature from the original VDO gauge? my gauge is the one that has small red portion. During traffic and sunny day, my temperature went more than half way of my gauge. Any feedback please! Thank you!
wingnut86
we all shoot for temps in the ~230-240 range tops. Definitely below 300...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 4 2011, 11:56 AM) *

we all shoot for temps in the ~230-240 range tops. Definitely below 300...

Thanks for replying sir! so I'm ok with the more than half way of my gauge. So should just be aware only if it goes almost the red line?
wingnut86
Have you reviewed the forums here?

I know I read at least 3 feeds around this if not more and that was 5 years or more back...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 4 2011, 12:00 PM) *

Have you reviewed the forums here?

I know I read at least 3 feeds around this if not more and that was 5 years or more back...

I tried looking for those topics but can't find one using "oil temperature issue" on the search topic sir.
wingnut86
I believe that oil that close to red is too hot, especially if you are in stop and go traffic. you so need oil that is minimum 180 degrees, someone correct me here if wrong. If you are seeing temps in the red, check your oil, filter, any leaks and especially for trash/leaves/heavy dirt packed in under the tins. That's bad JuJu with our type IVs...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 4 2011, 12:05 PM) *

I believe that oil that close to red is too hot, especially if you are in stop and go traffic. you so need oil that is minimum 180 degrees, someone correct me here if wrong. If you are seeing temps in the red, check your oil, filter, any leaks and especially for trash/leaves/heavy dirt packed in under the tins. That's bad JuJu with our type IVs...

Thanks again sir!
Al Meredith
Mine reads at 1/2 way or streight up . I think that is about 200* F
PancakePorsche
Half way on mine is 225 F according to thermocouple probe test down the Dipstick tube. My car always runs around half way as well.
76-914
You'll never know with that gage. I hope your "oil" temps are seeing 212', at least.
Black22
I pulled this off a thread...don't remember which one but, I keep this picture on my iPhone for reference when I'm driving.

I have the 150C sender (bottom right).

I think stock sender is 200C (top right), but I'm not positive.

As the guide says, these readings are approximate. Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
NJ914Guy
Do yourself a favor and pick up an oil dipstick thermometer. See below and scroll down a bit:
http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engine_components.html

For the record, my 1973 2.0 runs just before the red zone on 90 degree summer days. The dipstick temp reads 230-245 at that time and I have the large red zone gauge. On fall days, she will run right around 200 about 1/3 of the way up the gauge. Keep in mind that air cooled cars can run a bit hotter than your typical liquid cooled engine. All we have is oil, vents and a big fan to cool off the engine.
michael7810
Using the Mainely dipstick gauge I got readings around 230 on a warm day and 260 on a hot day (talking 115F+ in Phoenix). I installed a cooler from Patrick Motorsports and it never went above 230F on a hot day. Now that cooler temps arrived the oil doesn't go over 120F.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Black22 @ Nov 6 2011, 09:22 AM) *

I pulled this off a thread...don't remember which one but, I keep this picture on my iPhone for reference when I'm driving.

I have the 150C sender (bottom right).

I think stock sender is 200C (top right), but I'm not positive.

As the guide says, these readings are approximate. Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Wow this is a big help! Thanks and God Bless!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Nov 6 2011, 01:31 PM) *

Do yourself a favor and pick up an oil dipstick thermometer. See below and scroll down a bit:
http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engine_components.html

For the record, my 1973 2.0 runs just before the red zone on 90 degree summer days. The dipstick temp reads 230-245 at that time and I have the large red zone gauge. On fall days, she will run right around 200 about 1/3 of the way up the gauge. Keep in mind that air cooled cars can run a bit hotter than your typical liquid cooled engine. All we have is oil, vents and a big fan to cool off the engine.

Thanks for the info!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Nov 6 2011, 06:26 PM) *

Using the Mainely dipstick gauge I got readings around 230 on a warm day and 260 on a hot day (talking 115F+ in Phoenix). I installed a cooler from Patrick Motorsports and it never went above 230F on a hot day. Now that cooler temps arrived the oil doesn't go over 120F.

Thank you also for the info!
Ferg

I find it really hard to believe it's not getting over 120, and 120 is to low... not good. I would recheck, 180 is minimum for running in the"good" zone. 120 is crazy low.

Al Meredith
When the oil is cold (at start up) I'm pumping 80PSI at Idle. So I go slow untill I get to about 120 F . At 200 F at 3000RPM I'm still showing 40PSI and 15 at idle (1200).
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 6 2011, 10:34 PM) *

I find it really hard to believe it's not getting over 120, and 120 is to low... not good. I would recheck, 180 is minimum for running in the"good" zone. 120 is crazy low.

not meaning to hijack the thread, but it is related-
i have a similar question, since i got my new replacement center console with oil temp gauge(some P.O. took the original one out) i have been watching the temp but was not sure what the normal range was to be.

since i am in the south, i have not worried about the bellows theromo not working, but now that it's been in the 40s at night i noticed, even letting the car warm up for 5 min like this morning , i was under 200 when i got to work 30 min later. was like 150, 160, and really not near 200. my gauge read temp.degree # 160, 210, 240, 280, 310, 340 - no "redline"
now on a 95 degree day in summer i was running 250+,
question is this, is the 250 + normal for a 75 2.0, at 95 degree summer days, and right now in the 50, 60s, running 160-180? ok. would the thermostat working increase the oil temp much, or just the head temp since it allows the flaps to direct the air etc?

My gauge is not a VDO, its a nitrous brand, came with the center console i bought from morph.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.