Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellant article on oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
I recently read an excellant article on oil in this website and wanted to show it to some of my friends and can't find it. help!

Ian Stott
Moncton,NB
Canada
GWN7
Would that be THIS one?
Ctrout
so I was thinking of running 20W-50 year round until I read these articles. After seeing the temp vs viscosity chart, I'm having second thoughts. Seems that running too many points difference between high and low numbers is a bad thing. Also, the average low for my location is about 20*F. Today it got to at least 101*F and I have seen many days above 100 in my two summers here. So I'm thinking of running 20W-40 from september through May and a straight 40 weight through the summer. Does this sound like a good idea? Or should I just not worry about those 60 or so days a year that the temps get above 95?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Use the oil weight the engine manufacture recommends, plain and simple. I recommend synthetic for its over-kill protection, increased time between oil changes (double to triple), and for upping hp/mileage numbers a pinch beerchug.gif It's also great for colder climates where conventional oil can get real thick and make cold starting harder -- much less of an issue for synthetic oils smilie_pokal.gif Use it in your tranny as well (well, the appropriate gear oil).

BTW, using synthetic helps reduce our country's oil consumption habit so do your part laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.