Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Two weeks ago I removed my gas tank to repair a small leak. This was surprisingly easy using the Technical Article on Pelican.

I have only driven the car once since then to verify that everything was back in order as I have other work going on. Yesterday, I got back under the front and removed the gravel guard to make sure none of my new lines were leaking, etc.

The lines and clamps looked great, but there is some dampness on the fittings to the bottom of the tank. Not enough to actually drip, just wet (definitely gas). Note, not a single drop of gas has appeared on the floor.

Was I suppose to do anything special to those fittings? I am referring to the metal lines that come out of the tank. All I did was remove and clean. Was suprised that there weren't any type of rubber gaskets, etc. I have never even seen those fittings for sale anywhere.

Anyone else experienced this? Is this something do worry about?

thanks

JR
davep
I believe this has been discussed at length in other threads. It might be useful to do a search on fuel tank.
JWest
There is supposed to be a fiber gasket on the fittings. You may have to get it from the dealer.
jr91472
Thanks everyone!

Damn I hate doing things twice ar15.gif
Ctrout
I'm having the same issue right now only this will be my third removal in three weeks. I found part numbers though. gasket 914 201 147 10 gasket 311 201 235 A.
jr91472
Thanks Ctrout,

I found those p/n today as well, but also found that Porsche no longer supplies them. I fear we are in uncharted territory. Will keep you posted on my findings.

Anyone else out there know where these o-rings/gaskets/seals can be obtained?

BTW: my understanding is that the -710 number is for the 9mm line and the -235A is for the 7mm line.

thanks again

JR headbang.gif
McMark
Check a VW dealer/ parts house, they have the screen. Maybe they have the gaskets.
DuckRyder
I had this same problem,

IIRC I ended up using some aluminum crush washers from the hardware store.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.