Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hooking up 914 trans to 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mack914
Hooking up my side shift to 6 for conversion. Release bearing is different on the 6, What has to be done? Change release fork? Thanks,

Mack
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mack914 @ Aug 4 2004, 11:25 AM)
Hooking up my side shift to 6 for conversion. Release bearing is different on the 6

shouldn't be.

what flavor of 6 cylinder engine, exactly ?

you may find the /4's ZD top gear a little tall for a /6 - especially with the smaller ones - hard to keep them cool with the fan turning so slowly ...
Root_Werks
A 901 should mount up fine to a 2.0-2.7 with an early 911 flywheel or a 914-6 flywheel. Nothing on the trans should have to be touched. It all bolts right up.
mack914
I'm being told that I need a different release fork. Engine is a 2.2T.
JWest
No, you need a '69 or earlier 911 flywheel. The release fork changed in the 911 for '70 and '71 on the 901 (actually 911 trans for those 2 years), but the pivot mounting point in the case also changed. You can't swap forks due the change in the case.
mack914
Can I use the existing clutch?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 4 2004, 01:21 PM)
No, you need a '69 or earlier 911 flywheel.

agree.gif the 914.6 flywheel is 901.102.026.01 and has the timing marks in the correct place.
Stoddard has them new in stock (but bring money - they're $617.50) so they should be available through the dealer network. i think the hot setup may be to get one through Kennedy, maybe even with one of their tricko new clutches although a 2,2T won't stress the stocker much...

if you use an early 911 flywheel, be sure to transfer the Z1 and ignition timing mark to the new flywheel so it can be used to time the engine. this'd be a really good time to transfer all 3 TDC marks so they can be used for valve adjustments ...
JWest
QUOTE(mack914 @ Aug 4 2004, 04:34 PM)
Can I use the existing clutch?

Nope, clutch you need actuates by pushing, the current clutch on you engine is pulled to release. You need the clutch that matches the flywheel.

Another option would be to get a '70 or '71 911 trans and convert the linkage, tail cover, and clutch cable.
scotty
Welcome to the money pit...

if you use an early 911 flywheel, be sure to transfer the Z1 and ignition timing mark to the new flywheel so it can be used to time the engine. this'd be a really good time to transfer all 3 TDC marks so they can be used for valve adjustments ...

agree.gif Even though I cut my firewall, having the flywheel done too is a big help
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 4 2004, 02:30 PM)
Another option would be to get a '70 or '71 911 trans and convert the linkage, tail cover, and clutch cable.

...and R&P ...
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(mack914 @ Aug 4 2004, 01:17 PM)
I'm being told that I need a different release fork. Engine is a 2.2T.

No you need a different pressure plate, clutch disc, and flywheel. There are a few options here, each with it's own price level.

PM me and I can give you a price on a new 901 flywheel. I'm not sure on the timing marks, but thats not too hard to re-do.

PK cool.gif
Cap'n Krusty
FYI, there's enough meat on the case where the 911 style pivot needs to go. Anyone with a mill and a 911 tranny case to look at can install the threaded boss in the 914 tranny case to convert the clutch to a pull type. It just needs to be spot faced and drilled. You'll need a '72 911 clutch cable. BTDT, The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.