Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flaky fuel reading - gauge or sender?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
My fuel gauge has never quite read completely full after filling the tank. Lately though, it seems to have gotten worse, typically reading only about half full after filling the tank. What is more likely to be the culprit, the gauge or the sender? Removing the sender doesn't look to difficult. Can they be repaired?

Thx,

Skip
Spoke
Likely its the sender. They can be repaired by taking them apart and carefully cleaning the 2 sliders and wires.
smontanaro
Cool, thanks.
76-914
From our classic's thread section: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=46292
smontanaro
So today I got around to this task. I pulled the sender, then disassembled and cleaned it per the couple threads on the topic. Resistance between
two of the pins was within Lapuwali's specs:

Two other pins will give you a variable resistance from 5-10ohms with the float at the top, and 70-90 ohms with the float at the bottom.

The wires didn't seem to be in bad shape. I carefully cleaned them with a bit of fine steel wool. The little contacts on the float seemed to be covered in some crud though. I cleaned the contact surfaces with a toothpick wrapped in a bit of tissue.

The only thing I wished I had done before getting started was to check the fuel gauge reading. Afterwards it read well over half full. I had only been getting to at most half full before.

Thanks for the help.

Skip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.