Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Slackers Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
76-914
At the last G n R Event I asked Dave (aka Silver74insocal) why he wasn't driving his car. He said he needed to yadi yadi yadi yadi yadi; to which I responded "Damn Dave. What is it going to take to get you off your ass? Do I need to post something and ridicule you? To my surprise he said yes or possibly a flogging would work. To that end; poke.gif Dave, get off your ass and get to work on your car. It ain't going to fix itself. That being said I thought to myself I'll bet there a several people here that would like to post their names here for public motivational intoxication. Or, perhaps you know of someone who needs that little push in order to get the ball rolling again. Well this is the place and I'm confident that these people will thank you for your concern and support, albeit in this form. Nothing below the belt and let's keep it constructive. Oh, one other thing. If you call someone out you must be willing to assist this person in their quest in some fashion or another. If you have any words for Dave or have a special someone that you know would appreciate your intervention on their behalf, then post away.
wingnut86
Dr. Phil already outted me prior to this thread mad.gif

I took tons of pictures yesterday for a starting-to-build thread...

Yes, I have witnesses - all 6 of them beer3.gif
willamp
popcorn[1].gif

I could have been called out here a couple of years ago, but the project was a Lotus Europa that you see below. I responded to consistent nagging by selling the project in pieces. Albeit, fewer pieces than I bought it in. This may not bring the outcome you're looking for. It was after this I first said 'no more old sports cars' and then a few months later I decided 'OK old sports car but it has to be already finished'. So, I bought the 914 I have today. Really enjoying it.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Procrastination is an art form.

besides ...

It's cold

It's rainy

I need to take a leak ... plumbing isn't working well .... this could take a long time. hissyfit.gif
kconway
Wondering if self ridicule is effective? I need to get off my ass and get this engine installed and be done!

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tscrihfield
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 6 2011, 12:19 PM) *

Wondering if self ridicule is effective? I need to get off my ass and get this engine installed and be done!

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

blink.gif OH MY GOD! get off you A$$ and install that beauty!
drooley.gif
KELTY360
I love it when threads come up where I have some expertise. smilie_pokal.gif

My Procrastination Thread
jmill
There is much procrastination to be done before I can announce my total failure to make any progress this year. I have a boat lode of parts from Eric Shea sitting in boxes. In my defense, it's getting cold now and I don't have a heater in my garage. rolleyes.gif

Strudelwagon
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 6 2011, 08:54 AM) *

There is much procrastination to be done before I can announce my total failure to make any progress this year. I have a boat lode of parts from Eric Shea sitting in boxes. In my defense, it's getting cold now and I don't have a heater in my garage. rolleyes.gif

Buy a heater! that's where I'm at now....so close but so cold poke.gif
SW
stugray
Who needs heaters?? Just buy a few thousand watts of shoplights & fire em up!

My project has been on jackstands for almost 2 years.

Hellhole fixed
Trailing arms restored
Brakes, done & ready to reassemble
Engine bay - painted
Passenger compartment: Seats installed, race harnesses installed, stripped & repainted, ready to finish this weekend.

Engine: Next!

Gotta be done by race season next year! driving.gif

Stu
jsaum
Some call it Procrastination, I call it careful planning!

Jsaum
PanelBilly
I successfully put another car build in front of finishing my blue car. I need to rebuild the engine, stick it in the car. The body needs a windshield (mike, you going to have that trim finished soon?) and I need to figure out how to keep the side window sweetie rubber from putting out when I raise and lower the glass.

Not all that much work. Maybe another 6-8 years!
greenie
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 6 2011, 09:53 AM) *

I successfully put another car build in front of finishing my blue car. I need to rebuild the engine, stick it in the car. The body needs a windshield (mike, you going to have that trim finished soon?) and I need to figure out how to keep the side window sweetie rubber from putting out when I raise and lower the glass.

Not all that much work. Maybe another 6-8 years!

And if you can't do it right the first time do it right the second time or at least the third time.

Billy you are not a slacker just a perfectionist.
jmill
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 6 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Fluorescent lights don't "fire up" here in the winter. They tease you with a minor bit of light and make a strange noise that sounds like they're laughing at you.

I'm thinking of getting one of these until I come up with $700 for the Modine Hot Dawg.

'73-914kid
Procrastination? What the hell's proctrastination? If I don't finish up my projects by sunday afternoons, I'm shit out of luck for getting back to school...
76-914
OK, a quick redirect. Possibly I misspoke in my first post but this is a thread to Roast someone for letting their teener sit. Not the over achievers of America lol-2.gif
sean_v8_914
the prospect of walking from Vista to Pomona seems like sound motivation to me.

if any of you procratinationist so cal jack stand jockeys ever need help, Im here. im usually at the shop Sat. advise is always free, music is loud and my paved yard is huge so bring it down and we'll git er dun.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 6 2011, 07:03 AM) *

At the last G n R Event I asked Dave (aka Silver74insocal) why he wasn't driving his car. He said he needed to yadi yadi yadi yadi yadi; to which I responded "Damn Dave. What is it going to take to get you off your ass? Do I need to post something and ridicule you? To my surprise he said yes or possibly a flogging would work. To that end; poke.gif Dave, get off your ass and get to work on your car. It ain't going to fix itself. That being said I thought to myself I'll bet there a several people here that would like to post their names here for public motivational intoxication. Or, perhaps you know of someone who needs that little push in order to get the ball rolling again. Well this is the place and I'm confident that these people will thank you for your concern and support, albeit in this form. Nothing below the belt and let's keep it constructive. Oh, one other thing. If you call someone out you must be willing to assist this person in their quest in some fashion or another. If you have any words for Dave or have a special someone that you know would appreciate your intervention on their behalf, then post away.

Quote: "Oh, one other thing. If you call someone out you must be willing to assist this person in their quest in some fashion or another".

Batter up! You're first in line. welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Eric_Shea
Awe $hit...
wingnut86
Ah Hah!

One of the major 914-crack purveyors sneaks in biggrin.gif

Waaasup Eric happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Oh nut'n
zx-niner
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 6 2011, 08:54 AM) *

LOL,I also have a bunch of Eric Shea parts waiting to be installed. I was shamed today into removing the old brake calipers in order to return them to Eric as cores.

Click to view attachment
rjames
It is getting cold out there, but finally finished up the work that has kept my car off the road since July when I went in to replace a bad throwout bearing:

New clutch, (and all the $tuff you're supposed to replace when doing a clutch job)
new flywheel
new rear wheel bearings
new trans mounts
and new CV joints. driving.gif

All just in time for the car to hide in the garage for another 4-6 months until spring arrives. dry.gif

A warning to the procrastinators entertaining the idea of actually getting something done:
Working on your car just leads to finding more things that need fixing.
silver74insocal
well first off, i am honored to have my own thread on this prestigious forum. this is a feat tried by many and accomplished by few biggrin.gif

i have no excuse only the explanation that i have a new boss thats a real slave driver

Click to view attachment

i will sneak out to her when he does his me me's biggrin.gif

76-914
He's cute as a button. poke.gif Thank God he looks like his mom. Now that you've unsuccessfully tried to divert the attention away from yourself I should point out that I will revive this post next Saturday to ask you what you got done this week. happy11.gif popcorn[1].gif
Phoenix-MN
I just dodged the bullet here shades.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=152098
eric9144
It's cool guys, use the kid excuse, I know how it is...
Click to view attachment
lol-2.gif av-943.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 6 2011, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 6 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Fluorescent lights don't "fire up" here in the winter. They tease you with a minor bit of light and make a strange noise that sounds like they're laughing at you.

I'm thinking of getting one of these until I come up with $700 for the Modine Hot Dawg.

Hay Dawg...Info on that heater pic ??? Thanks
RiqueMar
No comment.... um.... Thread closed.... nothing to see here folks, move along!
LotusJoe
QUOTE(willamp @ Nov 6 2011, 07:13 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I could have been called out here a couple of years ago, but the project was a Lotus Europa that you see below. I responded to consistent nagging by selling the project in pieces. Albeit, fewer pieces than I bought it in. This may not bring the outcome you're looking for. It was after this I first said 'no more old sports cars' and then a few months later I decided 'OK old sports car but it has to be already finished'. So, I bought the 914 I have today. Really enjoying it.
Click to view attachment

I suffer from the same affliction. Just started as a bit of cleaning things up and ended in a complete body off restoration. I like the Gold Leaf Livery.

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 7 2011, 06:55 PM) *

Hay Dawg...Info on that heater pic ??? Thanks

Saw it at Menards for $50. Amazon has it cheaper. It's only 1500W (@5000 BTUs) but it beats freezing your nutz off.

LASKO Stanley 1500W Pro-Ceramic Utility Heater with Pivot Power.

wingnut86
The EV car guys are forced to use similar for heat beer.gif

Get It - "forced heat" av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Somebody STOP me happy11.gif
bcheney
That color is stunning....the motor looks fantastic...get off your ass...I am trying to get off mine!!!
ewdysar
I lucked out on timing this time. Less than a month ago, the car went in for rust-oration and the addition of lots of parts that had accumulated over the last decade or so. Even so, I nominate myself to "get off my a$$" and get the car finished - again. Since I bought the car in 1988, there's only been a handful of years that I drove it more than 500 miles. Most of the time, it's been waiting to get some random "issue" resolved.
strawman
Speaking of slackers, I just posted pics of my raised-spindle front struts and final steering setup -- two years and two weeks after I first posted pictures of the modified struts. Oh, the shame! And I don't even have the excuse of poor weather here in California...

Just gotta finish up the wiring, and then I can fire it up for the first time. Let's see, that should be within one month, eh?
76-914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 7 2011, 04:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment
lol-2.gif av-943.gif

That's some funny shit, Eric. If you can come up with 11 more I'd be intersted in a calendar.
KELTY360
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 8 2011, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 7 2011, 04:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment
lol-2.gif av-943.gif

That's some funny shit, Eric. If you can come up with 11 more I'd be intersted in a calendar.

Ohhh! That would be timely publication. I wonder if it could be done by 2020??
silver74insocal
Check out these cool custom DAPO push rod tube seals!! 2tone black and some orange substance to be determined lol-2.gif

i saw traces of rtv on the valve springs too...i guess i will drive this engine like its stolen..or my new saying "drive it like you are Kent" and work on rebuilding the spare in my garage.needless to say i am making progress Kent shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
Damn..that sucks... Mine was the same way when I bought it, and I didn't find any RTV in the sump luckily.

Let me know if you need a hand with Anything Dave
phatnine11
Dave,
You should have called me! Are we taking your car on Saturday?
Later,
Cesar
silver74insocal
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Nov 14 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Dave,
Later,
Cesar

laugh.gif exactly what i was thinking the entire time i was on the creeper...oh and cursing Kent out wub.gif jk
silver74insocal
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 14 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Damn..that sucks... Mine was the same way when I bought it, and I didn't find any RTV in the sump luckily.

Let me know if you need a hand with Anything Dave

thanks i will check the sump Ethan. hopefully its all over and i will be forced to dump a bunch of money on new engine parts smile.gif i ride in your car with the extra ponies would be nice...oh and if you could hook me up with some college girls..wait, did i say that out loud?!
Dave
'73-914kid
Just drain the oil and look for orange RTV. I'd love to give you a ride Dave, it's definetely a lot of fun to drive.

Either way, I say drive it till it blows up.. haha
If you guys can convince the Kent to move the dawn patrol run till the 26th, You are welcome to ride with me through Ortega.
-Ethan
76-914
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Nov 14 2011, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Nov 14 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Dave,
Later,
Cesar

laugh.gif exactly what i was thinking the entire time i was on the creeper...oh and cursing Kent out wub.gif jk

It appears that this thread is having it's intended effect happy11.gif thumb3d.gif
76-914
I'm calling out myself. After starting this thread a while back I find that I must add my name to this list. sad.gif I haven't worked on Blackie in a while, now. It sits in the garage along side the Subaru awaiting it's transplant and gathering dust all the while. To compound matters my wife has placed all of her jewelry stock in the garage whilst company is here. (It was necessary to free up one of the bedrooms.) mad.gif I hate losing momentum. I never get anything done if I don't work on it (even if in my head)a little bit everyday. Makes me want to roll a grenade in my own garage sometimes. headbang.gif Hopefully I will get back on it next week after the family is gone. dry.gif
r_towle
It took me two years to respond to the thread...and no my car still is not done.

rich
eric9144
Yeah well, still haven't gotten to my brakes... headbang.gif

But then again...Riquemar is still 'almost' done with his GT poke.gif

We close escrow on the new house next week so hopefully now that I'll have some real man space I can get to it!
Chris H.
Me too. Lots of commitments recently and also I just need to update the thread. I'm going back out there today to do some damage.
r_towle
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 17 2013, 04:09 PM) *

Yeah well, still haven't gotten to my brakes... headbang.gif

But then again...Riquemar is still 'almost' done with his GT poke.gif

We close escrow on the new house next week so hopefully now that I'll have some real man space I can get to it!

After your newly created honey do list that you don't even know about.
All you know are the obvious things.....she has a much longer list yet to be revealed.

From one who knows....the list starts to materialize as you are walking out the door to work on the car.
PanelBilly
We do what we intend to do. I guess I haven't really wanted to get more done on my car or I would have found the time. Today is full up, but tomorrow I'm going to get the ash tray and glove box done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.