Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Many Teeth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I am in need of some info from you V8 conversion guys. If you have a KEP flywheel/clutch assembly, I need the tooth count (number of teeth) on the starter ring gear, and it's diameter. It's much appreciated.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Um.. before I go and count... WHY ??

B
Andyrew
Which one?

Theres a couple of KEP flywheels...

I've got two sitting next to me (in a box..)
Brad Roberts
Every flywheel made for the 914/901/915/930 have the same teeth count.

B
Andyrew
I THINK I counted 131 teeth...
Andyrew
ahh, thats right (I was stupid...) I was thinking like 9in.. 71/2 in bla bla... but thats clutch size.

hehe, woops
Brad Roberts
What I *hope* is: he isnt playing around with starters.

B
Andyrew
Thats what I thought as well...

Speaking of starters (and I know he'll probably ask this question.. and its on my mind anyways..) Can I use a good stock 914 starter to turn over my v8? Or will it just not work? I plan on getting a high tq starter when the budget can accept it.. but in the meantime...
Brad Roberts
Wont work. You'll need at least a 911 starter. It *might* turn it over once or twice.

B
skline
I was reading this thread and Brad is right, the Porsche flywheels are all the same tooth count. However, the V8 conversion flywheels are not Porsche at all. They are VW flywheels from different year buses and Vanagons. I dont know if the tooth count is the same as Porsche or if it even makes a difference. I just thought I would mention it. Got that info from Kennedy himself. He also told me that they could convert your stock flywheel provided it has not been lightened too much if you like and use a 215mm clutch. The 228 like I am running he told me was a converted vanagon flywheel.
Brad Roberts
The VW tooth count is identical. The outside diameter didnt/cant change. Yep on the 9inch package being based on a Vanagon flywheel.

B
andys
Great info, guys. Can anyone verify the 131 tooth count? Ok, how about the diameter of the ring gear; anyone?

Another mind bender: What is the tooth pitch? Nearly everyone on the plant uses either a 10 or a 12 pitch (teeth per inch, yup, even foreign), but since Porsche does everything different, I thought I'd ask.

Skline; Kennedy has their ring gears made for them, though they may still be the same size as VW, P, et al.

Brad, since I have to devulge 'why' before you count, I'm considering adapting an LS1 to a Getrag transaxle, for which no adapter is manufactured. Part of the process is to determine an appropriate starter ring gear (tooth count and diameter). BTW, QuarterMaster uses a 105 tooth starter ring gear on their rear start stock car bellhousings and a gear reduction starter. Awful small, but it'll start a 14:1 355" Chevy stock car.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Cool Andy.. sometimes the questions are worded funny and the people asking the question dont ask it correctly.

Now onto this dilema of no adapter for the LS1. I would look at what the Getrag uses stock (unless it is a torque tube).. which Gretrad are you thinking about ?? they have many.

B
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 4 2004, 04:17 PM)
Thats what I thought as well...

Speaking of starters (and I know he'll probably ask this question.. and its on my mind anyways..) Can I use a good stock 914 starter to turn over my v8? Or will it just not work? I plan on getting a high tq starter when the budget can accept it.. but in the meantime...

During the fevered build or the Alien I purchased a 911 starter from like Oklahoma foriegn I think, or someplace like that. $ 50.00! It cranks my 4.7L 928 motor like I left the plugs out! Great value, no core charge!
Andyrew
Rich, if you stumble accross there info, send me a pm.

Thanks

Andrew
JWest
VWs and Porsches use the same ring gear size, with 130 teeth.
andys
Ok, so we have a 130 tooth ring gear. Can someone measure one (since the consensus is it's standard VW/P) and post its' diameter? No takers on tooth pitch, huh?

Brad, the diameter is important since it needs to fit within the Getrag bellhousing.

Thanks,

Andy
Andyrew
pitch? Whats that? the depth of the teeth?

lemme find a tape measure and I'll check the diameter...
bondo
Speaking of flywheels..

Brad: Do you still have that used 228mm Kevlar disk that Mueller didn't need? (trying to save money wherever I can, and each part obtained puts me one step closer to being done for WCC05) smile.gif
andys
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 5 2004, 10:13 AM)
pitch? Whats that? the depth of the teeth?

lemme find a tape measure and I'll check the diameter...

Pitch is the number per unit. In this case, how many teeth are there within one inch (just like screw threads)? Pitch can also be expressed in the distance from tooth peak to tooth peak. In the case of metric screw threads, pitch is commonly specified in this manner.

Andy
Mueller
What are the differences between the older Chevy 350's and the LS1 with regards to the flywheel end of things?

Are they that different that you cannot just use whatever Ultima and the some kit cars use to mate Chevy V8's with the Getrag 5 and 6 speed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.