Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hazards not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
uncle smokey
I was working on some electrical issues on my dad's 73. I replaced the turn signal switch and the wiring as well as there were some old issues. New flasher too. All the turn signals work now but when I pull the hazard switch nothing happens. I tested the the terminal 15, iirc, and it is powered with the key on and works when the blinkers work, but goes out as soon as the hazard switch is pulled. This is happening on both of the switches I have. I guess its possible that both are bad, just wondering if anybody has any other opinions. All fuses are good too. Thanks.
sean_v8_914
ground point A next to the relay board in eng comp
Spoke
Here's a simplified diagram of the turn signal circuits. If the turn signals work then the flasher is good as well as the wires to the turn signal stalk.

Must be the wires to the flasher switch.
sean_v8_914
dont waste your time trouble shooting untill you clean
ground point A next to the relay board in eng comp
uncle smokey
Thanks guys, I have at least 20 hours already in the electrical system alone, but this is the last issue. I know the rules around here, I will post pics of his car soon as well.
Spoke
If you say the turn signals work, then most of the circuit is ok except for wiring around the hazard switch. Chances are the 2 switches you tried were ok but some other issue exists.

On the hazard switch:

Pin 15: This is power for the turnsignals when the hazard switch is off. When the hazard switch is ON, power comes in on pin 30. Check the voltage on that pin. It should always be 12V.

Do you have power on pin 15?

BTW, where in PA are you?
uncle smokey
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 7 2011, 06:22 PM) *

If you say the turn signals work, then most of the circuit is ok except for wiring around the hazard switch. Chances are the 2 switches you tried were ok but some other issue exists.

On the hazard switch:

Pin 15: This is power for the turnsignals when the hazard switch is off. When the hazard switch is ON, power comes in on pin 30. Check the voltage on that pin. It should always be 12V.

Do you have power on pin 15?

BTW, where in PA are you?

Ok, I have power to 15 with the hazard off, when I turn the hazard on there is no power on 15. So that seems ok. According to my test light, I always have power to 30. It's gonna be about a week until I can get out to my dad's to work on it again.

I am right up the road from you in Stroudsburg.

thanks again
uncle smokey
so I finally got some time to go out and work on the car. Guys, thanks for the advice. Sean it did turn out to be the ground in engine compartment. Thanks again. Now that all the electrical gremlins seem to be done, my dad has been able to drive it a little, and by little I mean up and down the driveway. It's a start. Again, thank you guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.