Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack '71 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hello everyone,
So I occasionally see ZF steering racks mentioned on this site and others. What is it and how is it different (if it is) from the stock 914-6 steering rack? Inquiring mind (me) wants to know.

I used the search function and only came up with one mention of a ZF rack....but I am search challenged.

Thanks for the info.
Michael
Eric_Shea
Limited slip... blink.gif
Eric_Shea
OK, OK... basically stock.
Richard Casto
ZF is the manufacture for the OEM stock ring and pinion steering rack. They manufacture transmission stuff as well, so that is why you may hear about ZF LSDs.

Fun fact.. ZF is a German company and "ZF" stands for "Zeppelin Foundation" !! biggrin.gif

Richard
Cairo94507
OK, so that is just a stock 914 steering rack. They sell for $1,450 rebuilt? Wow. I was wondering if it had a quicker turning ration or something.

Thanks for the information guys.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 7 2011, 08:44 AM) *

OK, so that is just a stock 914 steering rack. They sell for $1,450 rebuilt? Wow. I was wondering if it had a quicker turning ration or something.

No, you will find ZF's on 911's, 914 racks have a VW cast into them. They are interchangable however.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Nov 6 2011, 09:22 PM) *

ZF is the manufacture for the OEM stock ring and pinion steering rack. They manufacture transmission stuff as well, so that is why you may hear about ZF LSDs.

Fun fact.. ZF is a German company and "ZF" stands for "Zeppelin Foundation" !! biggrin.gif

Richard

Actually, the real fun fact is that it translates as"Gear Factory" in English.

The Cap'n
Gustl
ZF stands for Zahnrad Fabrik, what translates to Gear Factory

but ... they are owned by the Zeppelin-Stiftung, what translates to Zeppelin-Foundation

Cap'n Krusty
Following the logic, they would call themselves "ZS", not "ZF" if the acronym meant Zeppelin Foundation. The Cap'n
whatabout1
Quaife used to make a quick ratio setup for the 914/911 rack.

Patrick Motorsports still lists them. $500 !
Eric_Shea
It would stand to reason that it's a 911ish part. It follows my line of thinking regarding torsion bars, spline count and 911 a-arms.

I saw a factory video of a 911 on the assembly line where they install the front end as one complete assembly; struts and all. When 6's received what was basically the 911T front suspension, I believe it came as a basic package and they slipped the proper size torsion bars for the 914 in them. That would mean the ZF rack, 911 a-arms and all. That's why we have a very unique 914-6 17mm torsion bar.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 7 2011, 01:28 PM) *

but ... they are owned by the Zeppelin-Stiftung, what translates to Zeppelin-Foundation

headbang.gif I stand corrected! You learn something new every day!

Richard
bulitt
I'd like to go for a ride in a zeppelin...helium only
SLITS
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:44 AM) *

While the racks rarely need rebuilding, the price you quoted is absurd. Last time I checked, the rebuilders would do them for about $300.
toolguy
No real trick to doing it yourself. . I did mine when I put on the Turbo tie rods. . . nice to get fresh clean grease in it. . .
there are some adjustments and shims so take it apart carefully. . Took about 3 hours and 2 beers. . .
OmaPossu
Okay, that's how it looks inside. Lets see if mine looks similar wink.gif
draganc
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 7 2011, 10:28 AM) *

Actually, my dad went to a training at ZF about 15 years ago and he told me that the F stands for Friedrichshafen, hence, Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen.

Interesting fact is that Lemförder is part of ZF and the Z.S.

Lou W
My understanding ZF stood for Zappa, Frank

smoke.gif

draganc
QUOTE(Lou W @ Nov 25 2011, 09:42 PM) *

My understanding ZF stood for Zappa, Frank

smoke.gif

lol-2.gif
dlestep
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 25 2011, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:44 AM) *

While the racks rarely need rebuilding, the price you quoted is absurd. Last time I checked, the rebuilders would do them for about $300.

I have seen them posted for that much. I agree that is a lot of money and that is what got me thinking it must be some special ratio or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.