Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT 2005 Mustang
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm watching my local news show and they have a 2005 Mustang. I know their cameramen basically suck, but still I didn't see one flattering angle of the new mustang. The show car was hot, but I don't think it translated well to production. The part that really looked odd to me was where the hood met the grill. It looks very unfinished and cheap.
JWest
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
seanery
2005 Mustang webpage
JWest
It's definitely retro - really need to see that one in person to get the full effect, I think.
jd74914
agree.gif agree.gif

I never really can get the full view of a car from a picture. Personally, I think 914s look better in person than in pictures as do most other cars biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
Looks like a cross btwn the 65 (or was it 66?) Shelby Cobra Mustang & a 71 Mach 1. Could have possibilities tho wink.gif Would be nicer if they brought back the original 60's series size.

......b
kafermeister
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 5 2004, 09:27 AM)
The show car was hot, but I don't think it translated well to production.

Ditto. I think they screwed up the front end with the production car. Side scoops as well.

Rick
tdgray
I wonder if someone in the aftermarket is going to make covers for those rear side windows. Then it would look more like the 66 - 68. Would probably look sweet. cool.gif

My local ford dealer isn't even telling people when they expect to get one in. I think I want to see this one close up.
tat2dphreak
ok, I'll admit it, I like it... I may be the only one, but I haven't liked the mustangs the last few years except for a few of the limited editions... mach 1 and bullit... this is a big step up
seanery
It hit me what it looks like.

It looks like a Mustang II barf.gif from the side.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Meredith
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 5 2004, 08:36 AM)
ok, I'll admit it, I like it... I may be the only one, but I haven't liked the mustangs the last few years except for a few of the limited editions... mach 1 and bullit... this is a big step up

I agree. Granted, I've only seen the show car, but I was impressed.

The past few years, Mustangs have become a dime a dozen. They're okay from a design standpoint, but nothing to drool over. The 2005 is a good mix of retro and modern. They're reminiscent of the Mustang models I'm in love with, but with a modern spin. Overall, I'm diggin' it.

Mer
tod914
The concept version I seen at the NYC autoshow 2years ago, was nicer. Looked more aggressive and more in keeping with the 68 body style. Overall it's a nice car, but it does seem to appear alittle unfinished. Maybe when they come out with the boss/mach1 versions, you'll see a better looking version.
serge914
My cousin had a brand new 1975 Mustang. It was feeling like a Pinto with a choked V-8.
Even my Civic was faster.
newdeal2
I think it's the best design since the original fastback...it has all of the better design features without trying to look plastic.

It would look really good in an "R Model" version...hmmm.
EdwardBlume
I dig the Mustang II years. I can hear the original "Charlie's Angels" theme playing in my head.... rocking nana.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(shotgun @ Aug 5 2004, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 5 2004, 08:36 AM)

I agree. Granted, I've only seen the show car, but I was impressed.

The past few years, Mustangs have become a dime a dozen. They're okay from a design standpoint, but nothing to drool over. The 2005 is a good mix of retro and modern. They're reminiscent of the Mustang models I'm in love with, but with a modern spin. Overall, I'm diggin' it.

Mer

well put, and i tend to agree wink.gif . but it will never be as badass as a 66-68 was, also....the mustang image sucks now, anyone can have em, theyre played out to me... icon8.gif
MattR
From what I understand, the mustang is a spitting image of ford's tangled history. They started with a 'european' inspired car with 2 seats and 2 doors to compete with the 911s, then expanded into a small family car, then added muscle, then went to economy cars, then tried to go back to muscle (5.0), then tried to scrap the whole project and change the mustang to the Probe, then made the 4.6 V8, then a watered down retro, now this. It makes sense that for a company with so many problems this is the outcomes. Its too bad they couldnt retro the mustang like they did the GT40/GT. Thats a beauty!

Now its Chevy's turn to take the Camaro out and make a real retro car with real muscle smile.gif.

I simply think they tried to retro the wrong year. If you do a retro, you're supposed to take the most significant/popular year, which would be 65/66 body style... not the 69/70 Mach 1 things. I have a 65 sitting in the driveway (for sale by the way wink.gif) and its such a classier car then the new one its amazing.

All in all, ford needs to clone the GT40 design team and distribute them throughout detroit and so-cal.
davep
Has the GT40 hit production yet?
obaa996
Looks like a Microsoftie just got the first one, with Leno's on the way as well....

First GT delivery
Andy
I'm just happy to see the removal of the fake "intakes" from all over the car, that crap bolted on drove me nuts. Yeah yeah, the oldies had them too, but tastefully. This last generaltion would have had great airflow through the giant scoops... Provided they did anything but provide drag. That huge scoop on the hood, with a black plastic insert in it and nothing behind it (unless you got the SVT/Cobra, both overpriced and on permanent backorder when I was looking). I did have a sales guy tell me I could gain 15 horsepower by cutting out the insert with a jigsaw... And yet again a time when "You're an idiot" was appartantly an unacceptable response (Just kidding! But now I'd know just to ask for a yellow one).

I do agree about where the hood meets the grill, the old "overbite" was a nice design feature.
Meredith
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 6 2004, 01:18 PM)

Technically, it's not called the GT40 anymore. It's just the GT because they added something like 2 or 4 inches to the height.

I swear I don't usually nitpick at things like that, but I just got excited because I knew something for once. smile.gif

Mer
3d914
I agree with Tod about the Mustang at the show two years ago. It was very impressive - I was totally surprised that Ford would even attempt something like that.

Obviously they wimped out. The beurocrats must have gotten ahold of the design. Thats their loss. I would have actually liked to own one, but not now. barf.gif
i love porsche
QUOTE(shotgun @ Aug 6 2004, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 6 2004, 01:18 PM)

Technically, it's not called the GT40 anymore. It's just the GT because they added something like 2 or 4 inches to the height.

I swear I don't usually nitpick at things like that, but I just got excited because I knew something for once. smile.gif

Mer

its actually 44 inches tall..and they were still going to call it ghe GT 40...but there is a company who already has that name licensed...so Ford offered them 1 millon, plus they could keep the name...the company said they wanted 40 mil...so Ford turned them down and just went with GT

as far as the mustang goes, it does look really good in person, i , for one love the new shape, and it looks even better from the inside wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.