Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Boys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rey
beerchug.gif Hi Brad,skyline, any other v8 folks. what the intake manifold and cab setup for a 283 with a mild cam?
It has been bored over 30 so I think its more like a 301. I figure that the torque will not be that bad with such a small cubic inch engine so ...I don't want this thing to burp or stutter at low rpms. Any advice is appreciated. Brad I can use some conversion parts. like fly wheel motor mount the list goes on....
Mueller
single plane is good since it moves the power up higher in the rpm range which is a good thing for V8's and 914's smile.gif

carbs with vac. secondaries get better gas mileage, or depending on your budget and or skill, go with fuel injection smash.gif

check out:

Edelbrock
DougC
Hey Rev, I'm going to be in the same boat as you. Getting a 283 SBC from my father-in-law this weekend that was rebuilt to stock spec about 2.5 years ago and has about 10mi on it since the rebuild. Has a new carb, manifold and headers and mostly new parts throughout. I'll be following your progress and commenting if I can help - It'll probably be a good while before I can think about installing mine though. There's alot to do and buy as you know! Good luck with your project..

Doug C
skline
I am running a Performer intake on mine, not the Performer Plus and not the Air Gap. Just a standard Performer manifild with a matching Performer carb 625 CFM on a 283 mild build. Mine is also bored 30 over using the Rod Simpson cam and roller rockers. He calls it the RSH2 cam and he sells it for 169.00. It is supposed to be the perfect camshaft for this purpose. He claims it will put out 330 HP and get about 30 MPG. We will see.
rey
WOW , Skiline that looks sweet biggrin.gif . I think that is the intake I will get.
I plan on useing the same cam that the motor had in it previosly so well see.
Thanks for the reply smile.gif
rey
Hey Dougc, I saw your Q's on the pelican site. sounds good .What about you motor mount? I have a 67 283 it has the motor mount boss cast.
good luck on you project. beerchug.gif
DuckRyder
Any bodys copy of a Z-28 (302 or LT1) (the "real" one) HiRise dual plane would work great.

It is generally accepted that a mechanical secondary carb is best for a light car with a stick, and a vacumme secondary is good for heavy stuff with slushboxes. 600 cfm should be more than plenty for a 283.
rey
With a Hi rise is it going to clear the deck lid?, skyline did you have to notch the rear trunk engine bay? for the HEI?
DuckRyder
Good point, I should have said it was a non-914 specific reccomendation.

If a performer RPM will fit, so will the Z-28 manifold. It is about an inch taller than a stock 4v manifold.
neo914-6
Rey,
You may be able to get conversion parts from this Craigslist Ad
Felix
skline
QUOTE(rey @ Aug 6 2004, 12:41 PM)
With a Hi rise is it going to clear the deck lid?, skyline did you have to notch the rear trunk engine bay? for the HEI?

Yes, I cut out a section to clear the dizzy, I didnt want to run anything but an HEI for the reason I am building this in the first place, reliability. I can get another one at any flaps in any city.
neo914-6
Scott et all,
What brand/model HEI are you running? I looked at an Accel cap on top and am concerned it may not clear the lid.
Felix
johnelliott
Because 914's are light I've had great results with Victor Juniors even on mild motors.

The one to stay away from is the Performer. I don't understand what is going on with people advocating that manifold. My experience and everyone else who has tried many manifolds is that the Performer kills the top end.

For 2 plane I loke the Weiand Stealth.

Good luck.
rey
Hi, johnelliott

What do you know about a Weiland WCVSQ? That was all the info on the intake @ 40 $ is it useable?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(johnelliott @ Aug 8 2004, 12:42 PM)
Because 914's are light I've had great results with Victor Juniors even on mild motors.

The one to stay away from is the Performer. I don't understand what is going on with people advocating that manifold. My experience and everyone else who has tried many manifolds is that the Performer kills the top end.

For 2 plane I loke the Weiand Stealth.

Good luck.

I'm with you on this. I,m using a RPM airgap on Vortec heads now, but have used a PP copy of the Victor JR. Both are tight on hood clearance and you must use a 2" x14" air filter with the Victor. The RPM AIRGAP you can use a 3" X 14" filter.

Bob
aircooledboy
QUOTE(johnelliott @ Aug 8 2004, 02:42 PM)

What do you mean?

The engine I just killed has a performer dual plane, and from what I recall of those first 14 hours or so, the top end was as much a scream as the middle. Is there more here than meets the eye?
DuckRyder
Edelbrocks performer line (NOT RPM) are stock replacement manifolds. That is why they are all certified as legal.

The Chevrolet one isn't awful. The Ford 390 one is widely aclaimed to be awful.

ANY of them are all finished by 5000 or so.
elocke
I'm using a Weiland X-CELerator model 7547 1-plane with a holley 500cfm 2 bbl and adapter on my 283. It was the lowest profile 1-plane that I could find. My 3 x 14 edelbrock just touches the screen part of the deck, which I just popped out a little.
elocke
...with the lid closed.
rey
wink.gif Looks good dude. beerchug.gif
914gem
skline I have one of Rods cams and it screams. Took a 283 block bored 125 over with 12:1 Z28 pistons and 86 corvette aluminum heads with 56cc and med valves. An old c4b intake with a 7028 Q-jet carb. Put it in my dads henry J with a powerglide and took it to the track. Ran 11s all day. The cam is good to around 7 grand and isn't to fussy about timing. My dads car is about 150lb more than the 914. What I like most is it runs on 92 oct without knocking and it likes to eat 350s for lunch. By the way I found a place to get the caliper o-rings, If you need some let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.