Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Built 901
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsyr
What does it take to beef up a 901 assuming it is in good condition to begin with? Can it be made to handle more power? These are the questions dancing in my head wacko.gif
ArtechnikA
you can replace the intermediate plate with one that's made of a little stronger alloy, and today's bearings and lubricants are better than they were 30 years ago.

Porsche felt it had reached the end of its run with the 901 when 911's grew to 2,4 liters and about 175 lbs-ft of torque (torque is the limiting factor...) they asked themselves how they were going to beef up the 901 -- and the 915 was the result, and when it started reaching its design limits, the 915 begat the 930, which begat the G-50.

how MUCH power (torque...) are you looking to handle ? if it's really a lot, you will find your answer elsewhere ...
KenH
You can also get a stronger differential cover - highly recommended.

At 250hp my stock 901 was OK - at 300hp broke the diff.

Ken
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KenH @ Aug 5 2004, 02:29 PM)
You can also get a stronger differential cover - highly recommended.

cool - you got a source for those ?

the trans/diff in my 911 is showing severe synchro wear in 1-2-3 from its use as a CA commuter vehicle in a prior life, and i think i'm just asking for trouble if i rebuild and uprate the engine this winter and ignore the transmission...
campbellcj
Well the #1 question is what is your application for the car/trans? What is the engine that will be twisting it?

A few track events a year connected to a race sixer is very different from a four, or a street 4/6, or a V8, etc....
nsyr
i'm looking at about 250hp. i just don't want to be afraid of "getting on it" for fear of something breaking. in other words, so it will handle more abuse. from what i understand a standard good condition 901 is good for 300hp, would a 'built' 901 increase the hp threshold?
KenH
On the differential cover - Check with Carquip in Colorado & Patrick Motor Sports in Arizona.

Ken
Brad Roberts
None of what anyone has suggested works if you have a loose pinion bearing race. 7 times this year (every box we have taken apart) has had a loose pinion bearing race. The number one failure I have when one shears the teeth off the ring gear.... "loose pinion bearing race" in the case. NO billet plate or billet side cover fixes this issue. Hp is not the problem... torque kills. We put 250hp 3.2's in front of the 901's and they last about 2 years of minor abuse before something starts to fail inside.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.