Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One last autocross for the year?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
Are you NorCal guys up for one more event? November 19th the Porsche Club of America and Trackmasters Racing will hold their annual charity event. This is both a track day and an autocross. On the track, you can tear it up with your appropriate run group depending on your experience level. In the paddock, we will be autocrossing. Past courses here have been legendary! This one should be the same.

Registration can be found here! http://svr-autocross.deter.com/register/

SirAndy
I try to make it to the AX. Need to do some work on the car ...

cheer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 8 2011, 11:21 AM) *

cheer.gif

I think we may need a work day down at Original Customs before the 914's invade the autocross. Several things on mine need to be wrapped up too...
Rob
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 8 2011, 12:07 PM) *

cheer.gif

I think we may need a work day down at Original Customs before the 914's invade the autocross. Several things on mine need to be wrapped up too...
Rob

I'll be there on Sunday ... smash.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 10 2011, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 8 2011, 12:07 PM) *

cheer.gif

Rob

I'll be there on Sunday ... smash.gif

Boo. I'll be working Sunday. sad.gif
biosurfer1
I'll be heading over (on the 19th). If I can get my carbs rebuilt, I'll be in the 914.

Rob, you going on the big track or just the AX?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 10 2011, 09:43 PM) *

I'll be heading over (on the 19th). If I can get my carbs rebuilt, I'll be in the 914.

Rob, you going on the big track or just the AX?

Just the autocross Brett. Mark will be co-driving my car in the morning and co-driving his friend Jamie's 912 in the afternoon. We have to get that boy motivated to finish his own car... Although that coil-on-plug EFI Turbo motor he has is an Original Customs development for sure... He just needs the body and interior done. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I should mention too, if you want to go on the big track but have never done it - for a charitable donation you can get rides with experienced track-junkies... rolleyes.gif
biosurfer1
Did that last time I was there, had a great time but am still a bit nauseous barf.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 11 2011, 09:22 AM) *

Did that last time I was there, had a great time but am still a bit nauseous barf.gif

Oh big deal Brett! A year of nausea is a small price to pay for the experience of a lifetime right? av-943.gif
McMark
One of my morning runs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6Eeu9_w90

What a great time! Thanks for letting my drive your car Rob. smiley_notworthy.gif

Best time was 39.386. Second best 914 time, behind Rob.
J P Stein
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2011, 02:38 PM) *

What a great time! Thanks for letting my drive your car Rob. smiley_notworthy.gif

No danger of nausea here....just a nice cruise in the country. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2011, 02:38 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6Eeu9_w90

Yup, Mark and I were 1 and 2 for 914's... I looked more like a drift car out there though. There wasn't much rhythm to that course. Not one of Bob's best. If he had moved the finish back around that last corner he wouldn't have had people feeling out of control and trying to stop before hitting that last wall of cones. I swear the Stalker and the Super 7 and that Bugeye had to go to reverse after coming through the finish about half their runs.
I heard over and over that people couldn't find the rhythm for that course. He has done much better with that lot.
J P Stein
I used to strive for "flow" when I did a course.....challenging but not hinkey...didn't always get it right. The start section of that course sucked...no need to slow folks down there (that I could see). The finish sections of a course is the spot to slow folks down. Over enthusiasm there should be punished (IMO).Safety is paramount.
I've seen courses where it's balls out to threshold braking before the finish lights....*when there is plenty of room*. I have no problem with a "brake test" section....tho it can be hard on the lights sometimes. biggrin.gif
ottox914
Hopefully the left turn at around 42 seconds into the video had more run of than it looked in the video. On the clip it looked like one big spin would put you into the parked cars!

Congrats on having a good time and posting a good time!

ConeDodger
It certainly is a lot that you can do a lot with. I agree completely on that first section. It was just annoying. Bob just sent out an email saying that the course was finished at 5:30pm the night before. Unfortunately, sundown was 5:00pm. He describes the finish of the course as "braille and headlights". I could tell for sure. That first section was unnecessary given the character of the rest of the course. The slalom forced you to go left first. If I had a choice, I would have gone right. It would have 'flowed' better and I can always get a 914 positioned for that decreasing radius turn that switches back at the end of the slalom.
The end of the course forces you to give up time and begin braking before the lights. If you don't, you have to do as the Stalker and Bugeye did over and over - go through the light full tilt and lock them up, then put it in reverse and back up to keep from hitting cones as you exit the course. If he had backed the finish light up around that last corner, he wouldn't have people having to lock up and flat spot tires to get good times.

I was 9th fastest. I got beat by five Porsches four of them, I regularly beat, so I have a learning curve with the new engine for sure. Mark was a very respectable 12th and has a very bright future amongst the cones... The other three cars ahead of my time were pure race vehicles with race tires.
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 21 2011, 07:57 AM) *

It certainly is a lot that you can do a lot with. I agree completely on that first section. It was just annoying. Bob just sent out an email saying that the course was finished at 5:30pm the night before. Unfortunately, sundown was 5:00pm. He describes the finish of the course as "braille and headlights". I could tell for sure. That first section was unnecessary given the character of the rest of the course. The slalom forced you to go left first. If I had a choice, I would have gone right. It would have 'flowed' better and I can always get a 914 positioned for that decreasing radius turn that switches back at the end of the slalom.
The end of the course forces you to give up time and begin braking before the lights. If you don't, you have to do as the Stalker and Bugeye did over and over - go through the light full tilt and lock them up, then put it in reverse and back up to keep from hitting cones as you exit the course. If he had backed the finish light up around that last corner, he wouldn't have people having to lock up and flat spot tires to get good times.

I was 9th fastest. I got beat by five Porsches four of them, I regularly beat, so I have a learning curve with the new engine for sure. Mark was a very respectable 12th and has a very bright future amongst the cones... The other three cars ahead of my time were pure race vehicles with race tires.

There isn't a ton of room for the designer at Infineon. Always thought that a wide (30') street type course with a fast return (next to the hill) would be fun. Kind of like the Stead course that a bunch of us 914 folks ran a couple of years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.