Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Welding/Cutting Torches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bostonmeche
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a Oxy/Ace Torch soon. Main purpose is to cut 1/8 or larger steel for chasis supports for my truck. I also have a dream of doing some Aluminum Gas welding though who knows if I actually get to it. So I gotta ask, what should I look for or look out for?

One more thing, I was thinking about going ultra low budget and use MAPP and Oxy ($50 from HomeDepot). I read that it is actually hotter than Oxy/Ace but not as good for welding. Does anyone have some experience here with this stuff? If it is any good for cutting I will probably just go this route as I'm already shelling out a lot of money on the 914 and fixing the truck. Too many broken down vehicles.... smash.gif

Thanks!
TimT
You can get a good all around cutting/brazing/welding setup from Sears, comes with hose, regulators, handle, cutting head, some brazing tips, welding glasses striker etc. should be more than enough for hobby/home use. You will have to buy a O2 tank (last time I bought it was about $80 for the tank with the first fill). Instead of acetylene or MAPP, you can ue propane, so if you have a gas BBQ just grab that tank, or the spare tank when you need to cut or weld..

I think for less than $300 you will be able to get yourself set up nicely.

Another option is Harbor Freight, but then its an import6 torch of questionable quality
bostonmeche
Yeah, I knew about the getting started rigs. I was just curious about things like check valve flame arrestors (are they standard) I often don't see such things listed in the description (except for Smith stuff).

Also, is MAPP gas a good way to go? It's super cheap from a one time cost stand point though I'm sure the MAPP gas is more expensive that the Oxy/Ace.
bondo
I got a nice portable welding/cutting setup with tanks and all for $200 on ebay, several years ago. Probably cheaper now. The torch head is victor compatible, so parts are readily available. I use acetylene and wouldn't think of using anything else smile.gif If you are going to be doing alot of welding or cutting, (many hours per week) get at least medium sized tanks, you pay alot less per cubic foot when you fill larger tanks (didn't know that when I bought mine, but at least it's small enough to throw in the trunk)
bondo
Oh, no flame arrestors on mine, but it came with a 6' long fuse, er, hose. Plenty of time to shut it down or run away smile.gif
bostonmeche
Thanks! I just got a Harris Port A Torch off of ebay. Are there standards as far as connections are concerned? I keep seening that this is Harris compatible or that is Victor compatible but I would think that there would be one style of fitting (like there are styles of compression fittins 45deg and 38 deg) is this so or have I relagated myself to some obscure brand now?
cooltimes
Harris compatible is UL approved just as the Victor is. Regulators I looked at had the same UL approved tag as well as the same length of warranty. Victor may be more heavily constructed but both are complianted welding devices.

Cooley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.