Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Dry Sump Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
yeahmag
I'm almost sold on making my car dry sump and need some pointers. Things like:

* How big of a tank for a 2056 running the CB Dry Sump Pump?
* How full to keep the tank?
* How high/low does the bottom of the tank need to be in relation to the pump?

I'll take any pointers you can give me.

Thanks!

-Aaron
neilca
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 8 2011, 06:36 PM) *

I'm almost sold on making my car dry sump and need some pointers. Things like:

* How big of a tank for a 2056 running the CB Dry Sump Pump?
* How full to keep the tank?
* How high/low does the bottom of the tank need to be in relation to the pump?

I'll take any pointers you can give me.

Thanks!

-Aaron

I am running a six cylinder but some things are going to be the same. Use big lines. I have a -16 inlet from the tank and -12 cooler lines. I run a 3 gallon Patterson round tank. I fill it to 2/3 full. My tank is mounted where the pump is about even with the bottom of the tank.

Hope that helps

john rogers
There are two places that oil tanks are generally mounted, some put it in the front trunk area and some in the rear trunk through a hole in the floor. I used the later with dash 16 suction and dash 12 to/from the front oil cooler. I used Earl's stainless oil lines as they are probably the safest to use. To get the length, use some garden hose to run exactly the path you want the final oil lines to run and then add a couple of extra feet to be safe. For oil level, generally there is a shelf about 1/3 the way down the tank and have oil just below that when the engine is hot. I also hooked in a large puke tank that vented the oil tank to collect vapor. and drain it after races.

A multi-stage external pump is the best way to go with 2 or 3 suctions and 1 pressure connection. The advantage of this is to gain a suction on the sump cover and one on each head so there are never any issues with oil build up in the valve covers or loss of oil pressure in long corners. Additionally there is a 4 to 5 HP gain if the case is run under a vacuum. The down side of this setup is that an upright fan/alternator must be used but then cooling is way better, especially for a race type of motor.

Here is a picture of how my 914-6 was setup.
yeahmag
Got a tank from Blake! Looks real nice too. Where should I be running my oil temp sender now? I assume even with the CB Dry Sump Pump I plan on running that I'll have enough scavenge to make the stock 2L one inaccurate...
yeahmag
Just ordered the CB Dry Sump Pump... Wish me luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.