Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need hardware electroplated
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I have some components that I would like to get cleaned up and replated in yellow zinc. Is there someone that makes regular runs to the plater?

Hood striker & latch, trunk striker & latch, engine compartment striker & latch, rear wheel hub, etc.

Thanks

David
Tom_T
I think that Eric at PMB (member vendor on here who restores 914/911 brakes) can send it along with a brake order for the silver zinc or gold cad plating.

If you also need your brake calipers restored too, then he can combine them for you.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/calipers.html
McMark
I send stuff to Sacramento all the time for plating, but I bet if you spend 30 minutes with Google you can find a place local to you.

Biggest tip: spread all the parts out on the floor and take pictures so you know if anything is missing when they get back.
jeeperjohn56
Talk to Bruce (bdstone914) he might have some already done, give him a jingle. John
Series9
I can have it done for you.

Yellow zinc
Clear zinc or
Cadmium
A&PGirl
I make semi-regular runs to the only plater. sad.gif

I have no clue if the only cad place will touch anything not on a gov't contract.
Harpo
Because yellow zinc & cadmium are so close in appearance I would say that I want which ever is cheaper. With zinc I know that you need to be in the oven @ 400 with in an hour to bake off the hydrogen. I'm just concerned about the springs. Or should I just remove them?

Thanks

David

QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 9 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Yellow zinc
Clear zinc or
Cadmium

PanelBilly
Remove the springs and send extra nuts and bolts. Use a tap and die on everything to clean out the threads
Series9
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 9 2011, 06:37 PM) *

Because yellow zinc & cadmium are so close in appearance I would say that I want which ever is cheaper. With zinc I know that you need to be in the oven @ 400 with in an hour to bake off the hydrogen. I'm just concerned about the springs. Or should I just remove them?

Thanks

David

QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 9 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Yellow zinc
Clear zinc or
Cadmium

Actually, the best response is "Zinc is more environmentally friendly". There isn't much difference in cost and Cad is usually more. I do springs all the time and they're done correctly.
Eric_Shea
I go once or twice a week here.

Much easier to find Zinc platers because of what Joe mentioned about environmental issues.

ATE used zinc from the start on calipers but most of the yellow hardware on P-cars is cad. And you're correct, the finish is just about the same these days in fact, most zinc shops can emulate cad so you can't tell.

The main concern with some of the parts you mentioned (latches) is the "pot metal" makeup of the guide. Take that out and have it glass bead or soda blasted if you're striving for a clean, new look. That piece will not survive the acid bath.

You have to have TONS of metal finishers in your area. And TONS of platers that are into car stuff. That's what you want to find.

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sou...024&bih=677

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.