Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper swapping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Verruckt
Is it possible to switch bumpers from a 70-1 to a 75-6 car? Are the holes all the same, etc?

I like the look of the old style bumpers.
lapuwali
It's certainly possible, but it's not just a bolt-on proposition. The big rubber bumpers are mounted on big, heavy bumper shocks, which is where a significant portion of the added weight of those bumpers comes from. I believe it's possible to mount the old-style bumpers to those shocks (with adapter brackets you'll have to fabricate), or simply remove the shocks and make a set of brackets to replace them altogether. Either way, you're going to be fabricating something.
Martin Baker
Remove the old 5 mph shocks, locate the holes from measurments taken from another pre-75 car, drill the required holes, obtain the correct type bolts, dog bone rubber spacers (4 required) spacers and bolt spacers/collars. You will need early type fog lights, unless you have the no light horn grills. You will also need to remove the spot welded u-channel on, 2 each end, that the late bumpers lock in, dress and paint. Its a days work to make it right. Worth it in my opinion.

stones.gif
Neal
Do a search, someone on the forum did the swap and posted pictures of the process
there is some metal trimming needed on the front. I am going to do the same but have slowed my process as my son thinks the old style bumpers make the car look short. He is off to college in 3 weeks then I will pull the trigger.

Neal
rhodyguy
craig(boxster) posted a number of pictures of the proceedure last spring. i think you also have to roll/trim the lip on the front underneath the front of trunk lid. i won't say do a search. 95% of the time it produces no results for me. the biggest items with this swap are locating fair to good bumpers and the top pads.

kevin
914werke
Shouldnt this be a classic thread? cool.gif
Jeff Bonanno
found the thread:

click here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.