Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing shop lights in the garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
The Slacker thread hit home for me. I haven't done much if anything on my car this year. One of the big reasons was that my garage had lousy lighting. I could work on it in the daytime with the door open but I rarely have time during the day with work and the kids sports. At night, forget about it. One 70 watt bult just doesn't cut it. I decided to finally install some lights. One huge problem was that my 914 was on jackstands. How the heck was I going to get above it. I finally found good use for those tractor mower ramps.

rick 918-S
Running out of excuses laugh.gif WCR or RRC idea.gif
jsayre914
world of difference.

first.gif

I agree, lighting helps to motivate. You should ad your pic to the
"show us your garage" thread, it looks great
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2011, 04:02 PM) *

Running out of excuses laugh.gif WCR or RRC idea.gif

I'm hoping for WCR 2013. I should have it rolling by spring 2012 and running early 2013. I'll meet you in MN and we'll Gumball Rally to WCR. driving.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 9 2011, 04:09 PM) *

world of difference.
I agree, lighting helps to motivate. You should ad your pic to the
"show us your garage" thread, it looks great

Thanks. I still need to do some cleaning and get a workbench in there. Flat space is at a premium in there. If I can talk myself into selling the boat I'd have more room and maybe enough for a second teener. idea.gif
dakotaewing
Ok - What you have done is a vast improvement...
The bad news is that your only 1/2 done...
And while you have lights over the car,
the other side of the garage needs light as well -
The overall effect will be more significant than most would think!
(Ask me how I know...LOL)
76-914
thumb3d.gif Looks great. You'll never regret it.
bigkensteele
Is your garage heated? I thought that I heard somewhere that flouescent lights don't like the cold so much. I also heard that it can get cold in Wisconsin, but that might just be a rumor.
jmill
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 9 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Is your garage heated? I thought that I heard somewhere that flouescent lights don't like the cold so much. I also heard that it can get cold in Wisconsin, but that might just be a rumor.

rolleyes.gif Apparently there have been advances in fluorescent light technology.

It's not heated yet but I found these low temp fixtures at Home Depot. Supposedly these will still light up bright at -20 degrees. They weren't cheap and they use the T8 32 watt bulb. Hopefully they work as advertised.
jmill
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 9 2011, 05:56 PM) *

The bad news is that your only 1/2 done...
And while you have lights over the car,
the other side of the garage needs light as well -

Your right. My wife just mentioned how dark her side of the garage was compared to mine. The problem is I'm a CSOB. I could use the money for the low temp fixtures on her side to buy more parts. happy11.gif
rick 918-S
Just install a tarp wall she'll forget all about it. happy11.gif
okieflyr
I would have suggested mounting the lights around the perimeter of the car to reduce shadows on the lower sides, but you have made a nice improvement. first.gif
Now get busy!
jim_hoyland
I'm getting ready to install flourescents. So far I've checked out HD and Costco. Seems like the 4' twin bulb T8 32watt units are the way to go; are the Lithonia units the best product. Hoping to not spend more that 30 per 4 foot section...

Any thoughts ....
76-914
Jim, I have those T-8's from Costco, and while an improvement over the older ones (T6??) they have a better one at Costco. The LED model. No temp problems, great light and they come on instantly. ~$28 IIRC. beerchug.gif Kent
jmill
LEDs weren't available then. If I had to do it today I'd go with them, especially at $28. I paid around $40 for the T8 fixtures when they first came out. I will say I still like them and I haven't had to change a bulb yet. They do work as advertised and fire right up in winter.
jim_hoyland
I looked at the lights on display at HD, LEDs looked better, but cost quite a bit more.
Are all T8 bulbs the same wattage ? I seen some at 20 and 32 water; interchangeable ?
jkb944t
I just replaced all the flourescent shop lights in my garage with the LED shop lights that Lowes had on sale for $34 two weeks ago. The fluorescent lights did not work well in the cold and were always burning out.

The new LED light are simply amazing giving out much better lighting. I highly recommend them to anyone!

Jeff B
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Feb 24 2016, 07:20 PM) *

I just replaced all the flourescent shop lights in my garage with the LED shop lights that Lowes had on sale for $34 two weeks ago. The fluorescent lights did not work well in the cold and were always burning out.

The new LED light are simply amazing giving out much better lighting. I highly recommend them to anyone!

Jeff B

What size type, or model number ? I'll stop by tomorrow
brp986s
I got a bunch of the Costco LED tube lights. They're nice and bright. They don't come with a chain pull switch. If you're putting up a bank of 'em that doesn't matter.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(brp986s @ Feb 24 2016, 07:35 PM) *

I got a bunch of the Costco LED tube lights. They're nice and bright. They don't come with a chain pull switch. If you're putting up a bank of 'em that doesn't matter.

Thanks. I went back and looked at them a second time; did they come with the bulbs ?
76-914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 25 2016, 04:20 AM) *

QUOTE(brp986s @ Feb 24 2016, 07:35 PM) *

Thanks. I went back and looked at them a second time; did they come with the bulbs ?

YES
jkb944t
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 24 2016, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Feb 24 2016, 07:20 PM) *

Jeff B

What size type, or model number ? I'll stop by tomorrow

I believe it was: Utilitech Pro Strip Shop Light (Common: 4-ft; Actual: 6.5-in x 48-in)
Item #: 595731 | Model #: MXL2006-LED2X24K840

Jeff B
76-914
Just wanted to ad that the bright, white light the emit is fantastic for "Old Eyes". beerchug.gif
RR914
Cosco has/had the LED on sale for 25$ Replaced my fluorescents with them WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Makes it even more enjoyable working in the garage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.