Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
It's finally getting below 50degrees here at night, and I'm looking for more garage heat. Standard 2 car garage with leaky overhead door....

Last year I had an oil radiator with blower and ceramic tower both with 1500 watts. They worked ok after a 30-45 minute warmup period.

Looking at a 15,000 watt ceramic heater top that attaches to a propane large propane bottle (bbq grill size). Anyone use this and does it work?

Other portable heaters that work?
iamchappy
Best solution and sometimes the cheapest is to find a used furnace off Craigslist.

I just bought a 42,000 BTU propane vented furnace from a 5th wheel off Craigslist last week for 50 bucks to use in my camper.
Testing it out in the garage the thing cranked it out. I may look for another for the garage now.
Krieger
I have a propane powered Dyna Glo 40,000 btu heater. It works great for my 25x25 high ceiling garage. I use the propane tank from the BBQ in the garage during the winter. I think it was a Home Depot special. It is loud though, it sounds like a blow torch. I only run it for 10 minutes or so every couple of hours when its in the 50s or below. Glad I bought it. It has other uses seeing that it shoots out a large flame.
rick 918-S
I've tried every kind of heater to find an affordable solution for my garage. I have tubing in the floor for a heated slab. Unfortunately the water heater I purchased (because I was told that would work awesome dry.gif ) failed.

Then I moved to a propane unvented wall heater. That heated the garage nicely but stunk when you sprayed anything in the air. And the cost of propane sux. I put up with the propane company jacking me with the rates for three years.

I purchased an electric boiler to heat the floor. As soon as I got my first bill I got a letter telling me because my garage has it's own meter and I am being charged a commercial rate I was now being placed on a commercial demand rate WTF.gif. The problem with heating the floor when your not working the the garage is it continues to cost money. If I had one residential meter the electric company would have had to supply all the power I wanted to use at a residential rate. After the first 500.00 bill Sandy was not amused slap.gif

So, I ran a gas line from the house to a unit heater. The cost is 1/10 of the cost of propane and I can shut it off when I'm not in the garage.

Anyone want an electric hydronic boiler I have one in the classifieds.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=153087
VaccaRabite
I use a 70K btu contractor heater. Burns K1 and will leave you stoned if you don't leave that garage door open a bit when you run it. But it does put out a lot of heat.
bigkensteele
Are your walls and attic insulated? In TX, that might be your best bang for the buck. I did my walls before they put up the sheetrock. About 5 years ago, I had a bunch blown into the attic. I also have CHEAP insulated garage doors - you could buy the styrofoam slabs at HD if yours are not already done.

Granted, we don't have very severe winters here, but my garage rarely drops below 50 with the only heat sources being the engine block of my wife's car, and the door to our mud room when it is open.

A space heater makes it a little more comfy when I am out there, but I have thought about a wall mounted electric unit. Much as I'd like to, I haven't spent enough time out there in the winter to justify it yet.
JStroud
I bought a 75,000 btu commercial shop heater on craiglist last year for $200 mounted it from the ceiling, I only use it when I need to but it only takes 10 minutes to go from 40 -70. It's sure nicer working in a warm garage.

Jeff
jmill
I'm saving up for the HD75. Burns NG and has an external vent. No CO worries.

speed metal army
Wouldnt the propane units create moisture?
Prospectfarms
I have access to wood, so that is what I use to heat all my buildings. 8 real cords a year, cut hauled split and stacked by your's truly. The equipment shed where I work on vehicles is concrete block and uninsulated. I use an airtight heavy metal stove to heat it. Never gets above 50 in the winter, but you can feel the radiant heat and there's always a place to keep things warm.

With dry wood and some insulation you can heat a lot of space efficiently with wood, even if you have to buy it. Newer stoves are also more efficient but very expensive. A food grade metal drum with a $70 stove kit puts out 100,000 or more BTUs and hour if its really going. I keep the combustibles on the other side of the building and keep my flues clean. Surrounded by concrete, a clean stove is no more dangerous than any other means of combustion.

The problem with wood stoves in the garage it takes 20 minutes before you feel heat after you light them. When I'm going to work for an hour or less, I just wear a hat and coat.
NJ914Guy
I have a mini split AC/Heat pump in my garage. Heats and cools 600sq/ft with 10ft ceilings with no problem.
tadink
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2011, 06:22 PM) *

I've tried every kind of heater to find an affordable solution for my garage. I have tubing in the floor for a heated slab. Unfortunately the water heater I purchased (because I was told that would work awesome dry.gif ) failed.

Then I moved to a propane unvented wall heater. That heated the garage nicely but stunk when you sprayed anything in the air. And the cost of propane sux. I put up with the propane company jacking me with the rates for three years.

I purchased an electric boiler to heat the floor. As soon as I got my first bill I got a letter telling me because my garage has it's own meter and I am being charged a commercial rate I was now being placed on a commercial demand rate WTF.gif. The problem with heating the floor when your not working the the garage is it continues to cost money. If I had one residential meter the electric company would have had to supply all the power I wanted to use at a residential rate. After the first 500.00 bill Sandy was not amused slap.gif

So, I ran a gas line from the house to a unit heater. The cost is 1/10 of the cost of propane and I can shut it off when I'm not in the garage.

Anyone want an electric hydronic boiler I have one in the classifieds.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=153087

have you considered adding some solar collectors to your garage loop? even in the cold, if there is sunshine you'll have plenty of FREE heat.....contact me directly and I can point you in the right direction - td
rohar
You're all doing it wrong. I plan on snuggling up to Mrs. Rohar all winter. If I get too warm I'll go out to the shop and work on the car to cool off.

There's a joke about wood heated here, but I think I've gone far enough for one night.

happy11.gif
rmital
pick this up at Home depot a few years ago...works great. they suggest you crack a window open so your leaky door will probably work for you.
injunmort
i use carharts. no heat=no rust. bourbon works well too.
injunmort
sorry for double post
zymurgist
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 9 2011, 07:41 PM) *

I have a propane powered Dyna Glo 40,000 btu heater. It works great for my 25x25 high ceiling garage. I use the propane tank from the BBQ in the garage during the winter. I think it was a Home Depot special. It is loud though, it sounds like a blow torch. I only run it for 10 minutes or so every couple of hours when its in the 50s or below. Glad I bought it. It has other uses seeing that it shoots out a large flame.

agree.gif

I use one of these as well. I just don't feel comfortable cracking open fuel supply lines while using it, but for everything else it's fine.
JMKnight
bye1.gif I use a regular 95% efficient gas furnace. Not cheap, but it works well. I have a coal stove, but it isn't in service yet. huh.gif
nowlings
Infratech garage heater. Uses infrared element technology similar to what the body shops use to dry primer, etc. out on the shop floor. It's adapted to mount from the ceiling or wall and works fairly well on household current. Available through your local automotive paint distributor or even amazon IIRC.
Rand
Fifty? LOL... You better get some of these, in pink:
http://www.urban-clothes.net/thermal-underwear/
At least the humidity is low here in Reno. Zero degrees here is more pleasant than fifty was in Seattle.
Seriously though, gas heat is the only way to go.
Valy
I just live in California.
Don't know what you're talking about lol-2.gif
Andyrew
^ Lies.

I work in the garage in 30 something degree heat.. Concrete is cold!

I like the electric heaters. Dont work the best but no moisture and great for workin on bodywork.
pete-stevers
wood heat
Love the smell, and nice and dry
edwin
Thermal clothes are a thing of the past
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2330-2X-12...d/dp/B0048EJXJ8
saigon71
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 9 2011, 10:20 PM) *

I'm saving up for the HD75. Burns NG and has an external vent. No CO worries.

My Dad had one of these in his shop that ran on propane. Awesome heater and it warms up the garage quickly.

For your purposes though, the most economical solution would probably be a portable kerosene heater.
Jake Raby
Hired Hand 275,000 BTU agricultural heater.. Available in propane or natural gas models. I have 3 of them and heat all of our buildings with them.. Unreal effectiveness!
campbellcj
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 11 2011, 09:09 PM) *

I just live in California.
Don't know what you're talking about lol-2.gif

huh.gif I'm in SoCal and -- I know I'm gettin' older -- but lately in the mornings and evenings here it's dipping into the 30's and low 40's and that's just miserable for working on the car. My garage is built-in so it stays a bit warmer than outside (or cooler in summer), but not a whole lot.

I've tried those small electric space heaters but they're too wimpy. I may just go to a larger electric as the thought of a portable device burning fuel inside the 'house' freaks me out a bit.
stugray
In CO, I just use a LOT of halogen work lights and a couple of cheap 1000W electric heaters from Walmart.

I tried using one of those radiant propane heaters that goes on top of a propane tank.
NOTE: The ones that say "do NOT use indoors".
I just thought I'd be extra careful & make sure I have some good fresh air supply while running.
I also agreed to NEVER leave it unattended while running.

Well, while NOT running, I open the door from the house to the garage and immediately get an odor so strong that it burned my nose.

I am smart enough to not hit the garage door opener and go around the house to open the outer door to vent.

Someone (damn kids) had bumped into the NON-RUNNING heater and knocked it so that the heater head threads came loose and the propane tank began leaking into the sealed garage.

I hate to think what would have happened if my wife or kids had been the first to open the door and then push the garage door open button.
I would probably be paying for a few funerals instead of a race car.

NEVER use a propane tank in an enclosed area, even if you think you are careful.

Stu

Ian Stott
All the above is good advice but until you insulate properly you are paying a lot to heat the outdoors, insulate properly, seal up all the cracks, etc. you will never regret doing that. Advice from a guy who lives in a colder climate and where energy no matter what the type is expensive.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Cevan
+2 on the insulation. My garage walls, doors and ceiling are insulated and it's never gotten below 32 inside even when it was -15 outside.
pcar916
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 9 2011, 07:27 PM) *

Looking at a 15,000 watt ceramic heater top that attaches to a propane large propane bottle (bbq grill size). Anyone use this and does it work?

I have one of those attached to the top of a propane cylinder and it works great to get the temp up in a hurry. Then I vent the place and two electric space heaters maintain after that. I'll fire it up again if the need arises.

I have a big kerosene heater as well, much like the one shown above, but the price of kerosene and the need to constantly fill it convinced me to leave it in storage this year.

Good luck
stugray
"I have one of those attached to the top of a propane cylinder and it works great to get the temp up in a hurry."

Read my post above.
Turn off the propane bottle EVERY TIME if you continue down this route.

Stu
pcar916
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 12 2011, 04:28 PM) *

Read my post above.
Turn off the propane bottle EVERY TIME if you continue down this route.
Stu

agree.gif
wobbletop
Insulation plus a small 240V electric heater.
rwilner
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Nov 12 2011, 08:43 PM) *

Insulation plus a small 240V electric heater.

agree.gif on the insulation -- 3 walls, ceiling, and garage door. I bought 7 fin oil heater from my local hardware store (80 bucks maybe?). Takes 1/2 hour to heat up but it will never get below 55 in the winter in my 22 x 24 garage while the heater is on, even when it's 0 deg F outside.

For short jobs I put on a coat and suck it up.
dflesburg
Rick - why aren't your sled dogs keeping you warm...

Good god man, you live in dulth, MN... can you see Santa on a clear day?
JamesM
Previous owner of my house installed a 2nd natural gas forced air furnace in the garage along with full insulation.

Pretty much instant heat as hot as you can handle.

I added a programable theromostat in case i forget to kick it back down when i am done. keeps the dog and cat warm at night too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.