Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The '73 1.7L has never run better, but
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Tune up with new parts for no avail, failed three out of four tests.

Arizona requires testing for '67 and newer cars. I was .10 over on the loaded C0 test and 433 ppm over on the idle HC test and and 3.1 over on the idle HC test.

Anyone with tips, ideas or suggestions?
lapuwali
You're running way rich with that kind of HC number. Fuel pressure is too high, or you have a leaky injector, or you need to look at things like the MPS and CHT sensors being in spec.
MarkV
Are you running injection or carbs? I failed HC running carbs. I turned the idle up to 1100 RPM & installed a set of platinum plugs & passed. Take it home and install regular plugs & re-set the idle after you are done.

They allow 400 PPM on HC & 5.5% on CO. My final reading was 370 & 3.27%.
MarkV
If you can get it to pass at idle they won't run the loaded test.
gregrobbins
I am running the FI system. From the above post, how can I tell if I have a leaking injector?
lapuwali
Pull one injector at a time from the manifold, leaving it connected to the fuel hose. Point it at a jar and turn on the ignition to energize the fuel pump (do not start the car). No fuel should dribble from the injector. Do this on all four. If any fuel dribbles out, there's your leaky injector.

I'd check the CHT and MPS first, as they aren't as messy or involved to test. See Brad Anders' site on how to do this.

If your ECU has the mixture control knob, you might try leaning that out while it's being tested. This will increase NOx, but maybe by not enough to matter (and AZ may not test for NOx), while lowering HC some, and CO by a lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.