Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie here, first post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ambergris
Hi all,
I guess I've spent enough time trying to download the entire BBS into my head, so I may as well speak up and say "hi" to everyone.
I recently aquired a 1974 914 2.0 from my girlfriend's parents (who are the original owners). It was languishing in San Diego, where her brother was using it as a daily driver for college until it just stopped running. I paid for the trip to the mechanic and a new ignition, and drove the car up from SD to the San Francisco bay area... and that was the last time the car hasn't been on ramps wink.gif
I'm a total mechanical newbie, so I've been starting out slow. I've fixed an exterior door handle, adjusted the clutch, replaced some light bulbs, and swapped out the shift bushings, the tranny mounts, and the motor mounts. Right now I'm replacing the oil seals on the shift selector rod.
Between this BBS and the Pelican tech articles, I've been able to keep myself busy. The hard part is making the time to actually work on the car.
The main reason I got this car was to actually do all this stuff myself. So far it's been a blast, and the car has proven to be a real treat both to work on and drive. And as I get myself more and more over my head, I'm sure I'll be posting again and again.

Thanks for your time,
Max
Danville, CA
Jeff Bonanno
Welcome Max!
ruddyboys
Welcome to the Addiction Max. beerchug.gif
watsonrx13
Max, welcome to the ABYSS.... rocking nana.gif
Root_Werks
Welcome! boldblue.gif

L20E is my favorite color! Not to worry, you are surrounded by 914 geeks here. We will help the disease manifest for you. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
Always good to hear from someone that's willing to dive and and do it all themselves. Sounds like you've done a lot already.

btw, finding the time never gets easier, it's a life-long problem. There's a reason DIY engine rebuilds often take months (or years!) to complete, even though it's "only" 40-60 hours of actual work. Don't feel bad if you're not getting as much done as you'd like.
ambergris
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
It's a little scary how fast this car is becoming my little obsession! I find myself browsing the Pelican site for no reason, or sitting on the couch reading through the Haynes manual.

Root_Werks: At first I wasn't sure about the orange color, but it has definitely grown on me! Unfortunately, right now I don't think my car qualifies as actual "signal orange." It's more like "scuffed up faded that comes off when you wipe it with a cloth orange" I'm going to price out a re-paint, but I'm trying to decide if I want to dismantle the car and do a full job, or start off with a cheaper option. Either way, it's saying L20E!

-Max
Max,

contrats and welcome, as I'm sure you've seen, any question that comes up, just ask and you will recieve .....and quickly.

Post some photos when you get a chance!

-Adam
Allan
Hello and welcome. This place is a treasure trove of information and it seems like some of these guys actually designed the 914 with their incredible knowledge of its inner workings. boldblue.gif
skline
Hey there, welcome to "The Board". We really need to see pictures so get out the camera and start showing us your new toy. It should be a prerequisite here to become a member. I am sure it looks better than some I have seen posted, its everyones goal to have a nice looking car but some of us dont have as much money and time to do it all right now so dont be ashamed of what it looks like. They all have an inner beauty and pictures usually make it look better than it really is anyway.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ambergris
Lapuwali: thanks for the words of encouragement. I have to admit i've been tempted to just take the car to a shop when I run into a frustration (like 30 year old bolts that have never been loosened). I'm thinking once I get my shift linkage put back together I will drive the car around for a coupld of weeks, to keep me motivated!

Skline: I should have seen this coming! laugh.gif I'll break out the digital camera when I get home tonight. I thought there was some kind of "5 posts before you can upload pics" rule. If that's the case, I guess I can host the pics on my own web server and link them up.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ambergris @ Aug 6 2004, 10:32 AM)
I thought there was some kind of "5 posts before you can upload pics" rule.

yes, the rule is:
"it usually takes newbies 5 posts to figure out how to post pics!"

you're already up to 3, so i wouldn't worry too much.
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: welcome!
SLITS
Make sure to include the "parts girl" in your images for Sr Andy - he stays up late staring at a CRT in a darkened room.

Welcome to self-made insanity and BTW, bring your wallet laugh.gif

AND drive back down for WCC 2005 burnout.gif
ambergris
Okey dokey, pics as promised.
ambergris
Here's a shot of the interior (after I've been tearing around in there for a while)
ambergris
Couldn't seem to get a good "all in one shot" pic of the engine compartment, so here's the left side
ambergris
...and the right
ambergris
Lastly, I thought I'd put up this pic of the old engine mounts. I'm a little amazed I made it all the up from San Diego.
Brad Roberts
Man.. that drives me NUTS. People who use 1.7/1.8 spark plug wire sets on 2.0's... headbang.gif

(I know it wasnt you)... somebody before you..

Welcome clap56.gif

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 6 2004, 07:13 PM)
Man.. that drives me NUTS. People who use 1.7/1.8 spark plug wire sets on 2.0's... headbang.gif

(I know it wasnt you)... somebody before you..

Welcome  :clap:

B

brad: ordered pelican's 2.0 wire set and it still has 2 long and 2 short connectors confused24.gif why?
EdwardBlume
Welcome to the addiction. Come out to Alameda NAS tomorrow to see us 914s run..... you'll catch some of the truly hooked locals. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.