Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpeted Firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
So if I replace my backpad with a carpeted one, what do you guys do if you have an access panel? If I glue down the carpet, should I perhaps cut a flap or? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andys
germanv82000
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 11 2011, 09:42 AM) *

So if I replace my backpad with a carpeted one, what do you guys do if you have an access panel? If I glue down the carpet, should I perhaps cut a flap or? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andys

Always liked the looks of a carpeted backpad and it even adds a little room in the car (thinner). Drive the car by some friendly (if they exist) upholsterer and play dumb like "what would you do". I'm reminded of the first 356 I saw probably 1954 with the interior completely wrapped in the German square weave.
pcar916
Kinda depends on your access cover. I have mine (no carpet) edged with a standard plastic edging strip that has an internal metal clips. The cover is larger than the hole, attaches with Dzus fasteners, and could be carpeted as well to match or contrast with the firewall carpet...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

or I could mount the Flux Capacitor there..

Good luck
Scott S
Hi Andys -
I just did this myself. My firewall has been carpeted for several years, so it was a pain in the butt to do the access panel (I had to remove the existing carpet). If yours has yet to be carpeted, it is very easy.

Cut your hole in the car and build up your cover plate. Make sure the coverplate has at least 1" overlap all the way around. I drilled holes for the mounting screws in the plate, then held the plate up to the hole in the firewall and marked where to drill the firewall. There are a ton of different ways you can fasten it. I welded nuts over the holes on the engine side of the firewall - works like a champ.

Then just upohlster everything up using 3M spray adhesive . On the cover plate, wrap it just enough around the edged to stay put. On the firewall, mount the carpet to everything first, then come back and trim. I left the edge of the carpet a half inch away from the acces panel opeing. My thinking was that this is still a firewall, and I want things sealed up tight (no carpet exposed to the engine compartment as any sort of "wick" to the interior).

One thing to note - the rear interior firewall is one compound curve after another. If you think you can just cut square piece of carpet and glue it in, you will not be happy with the results. Get yourself a spray bottle of water and a heat gun or hair dryer. This will allow you stretch and mold the perlon to fit all of the ins and outs of the panel. it took me the better part of a day to get that carpet piece put in where I was happy with the results - and my hand/fingers were sore as hell afterwards.
rfuerst911sc
When I go to do mine I plan on one piece of carpet even over my access panel. But I hope to keep the carpet in place with velcro. If / when I need to use the access cover just peel the carpet out of the way.
andys
Here's a photo of my access panel.

I'm thinking to make the cut out, then cut a piece of carpet 1" larger all around, then Velcro over the cut out. The cover piece should have edging sewn around it, however that will likely call attention to it. Thought?

Andys

rohar
Have you thought of cutting a piece of carpet to match the edges of the entire center "hump" rather than just the access panel? The edging won't look so noticeable if it's at the same point as the corners of the hump. It'll be a bit big compared to the access, but should fit in nicely with the contours.
andys
QUOTE(rohar @ Nov 13 2011, 10:03 AM) *

Have you thought of cutting a piece of carpet to match the edges of the entire center "hump" rather than just the access panel? The edging won't look so noticeable if it's at the same point as the corners of the hump. It'll be a bit big compared to the access, but should fit in nicely with the contours.

Good suggestion; hadn't thought of that.

Andys
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 11 2011, 12:34 PM) *

Hi Andys -
I just did this myself. My firewall has been carpeted for several years, so it was a pain in the butt to do the access panel (I had to remove the existing carpet). If yours has yet to be carpeted, it is very easy.

Cut your hole in the car and build up your cover plate. Make sure the coverplate has at least 1" overlap all the way around. I drilled holes for the mounting screws in the plate, then held the plate up to the hole in the firewall and marked where to drill the firewall. There are a ton of different ways you can fasten it. I welded nuts over the holes on the engine side of the firewall - works like a champ.

Then just upohlster everything up using 3M spray adhesive . On the cover plate, wrap it just enough around the edged to stay put. On the firewall, mount the carpet to everything first, then come back and trim. I left the edge of the carpet a half inch away from the acces panel opeing. My thinking was that this is still a firewall, and I want things sealed up tight (no carpet exposed to the engine compartment as any sort of "wick" to the interior).

One thing to note - the rear interior firewall is one compound curve after another. If you think you can just cut square piece of carpet and glue it in, you will not be happy with the results. Get yourself a spray bottle of water and a heat gun or hair dryer. This will allow you stretch and mold the perlon to fit all of the ins and outs of the panel. it took me the better part of a day to get that carpet piece put in where I was happy with the results - and my hand/fingers were sore as hell afterwards.

Just what does the access panel allow you to get to? How hard is it to remove seats and panel behind seats? Worth inslulating to keep noise down? Bob
pcar916
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Nov 14 2011, 11:34 AM) *

Just what does the access panel allow you to get to? How hard is it to remove seats and panel behind seats? Worth inslulating to keep noise down? Bob

I don't know about the guys with 4 cylinder cars other than to access the fan. But those of us with sixes have fan belts, oil pressure sending units, and distributors there. Changing a fan belt on a 911 when it's staring at you is almost trivial. Not so in a 914-6. Take a look at my picture above of what's reachable for a six and you'll see what I'm talkin' about. Changing out a broken fan belt in the middle of the night on a lonely highway is something you only want to do once. Ok, not even then, but you get the point. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Bob,
If you have a 6, getting to the fan and pulley can be a real bitch.

On a 4 there is no good reason to make a firewall access panel.

Zach
Rod
I don't understand why no-one has made a cover from thick Perspex? It would be wonderful to see that fan spinning between you and passenger - put a light inside the engine bay and you have artistry between your seats?
moparrob
QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *

I don't understand why no-one has made a cover from thick Perspex? It would be wonderful to see that fan spinning between you and passenger - put a light inside the engine bay and you have artistry between your seats?

Hmmm, you know it is a shame to hide the powder coated fan and cad plated pulley behind a steel plate...

IPB Image
computers4kids
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 11 2011, 08:42 AM) *

Thanks,

Andys

I know you're going with carpet, but it seems you get take a backpad, separate it into 3 sections and attach the two side sections in place to the firewall. The middle piece could be modified to be a removable piece with snaps. Everything would look stock and clean.
IPB Image
clow
QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 14 2011, 12:37 PM) *

I agree, that would look very neat. I have seen a couple on here...haven't seen the lighting yet.

Hiding that engine would be shame. It looks amazing!

I think a carpet backing would look clean with a nice aluminium polished access cover.

Clow
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 15 2011, 05:37 AM) *

Thats something I would like to see, I have seen some motorcycle guys do that do their engine cases and its very interesting for a show bike but wonder how it would work on a street car. I think you can add some LED lights in there and put on quite a show....very cool....hopefully someday somebody will try to do this.
pcar916
Gentlemen, it's a firewall. An acrylic cover is flammable... beerchug.gif
andys
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 14 2011, 09:50 PM) *

I know you're going with carpet, but it seems you get take a backpad, separate it into 3 sections and attach the two side sections in place to the firewall. The middle piece could be modified to be a removable piece with snaps. Everything would look stock and clean.
IPB Image

My backpad is in perfect condition as it is, and for the few occasions where I'd have to get to the access panel it's really not that big a deal to remove it. I just like the clean look of the carpeted firewall and figured someone has surely dealt with an access panel before.

Andys
zymurgist
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2011, 10:11 AM) *

Gentlemen, it's a firewall. An acrylic cover is flammable... beerchug.gif

agree.gif If I had to cut an access panel, I'd want a steel piece that could attach securely in place.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 14 2011, 01:12 PM) *

Bob,

Zach How hard is it to pull the seats out? Any insluation behind the firewall panel? Worth doing? Bob

Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 14 2011, 01:12 PM) *

Bob,

Zach
Wondering????? Is there a link to a site that would give prices on the cost to have built a 914 engine, stages of HP v cost of such a engine? How much HP can u throw at a stock tranny and it hold together? Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.