Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Conditioning in a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Does anyone have any recommendations with aftermarket stuff?
I do not want to use the OEM stuff due to age, rust etc.
I'm planning on using the stock 3.2 compressor and cutting the firewall.
I just need to figure out the under dash unit, evaporator etc..

Any help, experience and ideas would be much appreciated.

regards,

Steve
bfrymire
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 6 2004, 09:03 AM)
Does anyone have any recommendations with aftermarket stuff?
I do not want to use the OEM stuff due to age, rust etc.
I'm planning on using the stock 3.2 compressor and cutting the firewall.
I just need to figure out the under dash unit, evaporator etc..

Any help, experience and ideas would be much appreciated.

regards,

Steve

Did you try Vintage Air?

http://www.vintageair.com/

I haven't used them, but have heard of them. No other experience with them. They have some universal components, but nothing specific to the 914. I haven't even compared prices. Just, hopefully, a lead.
bondo
I know Renegade sells an underdash unit, and it can even include a heater core (for water cooled conversions). They say it works best, does anyone have one? I myself am considering theirs, and was wondering if anyone here had one.
Gary
These guys used to do AC installs on 914s: Scott's Porsche Repair. I just checked their site, and it says they don't carry anymore. Might be worth a call.
Dave_Darling
Stupid DNS is having problems or I'd find a link to the article directly..... Go to http://mail.dgi.net/914 and look in the Tech Articles for "one COOL 914-6" for how one guy did the install.

...Rats. Nope, that's now how you get there. I think Cooley posted a link to an archive of the site, so he may still have it on-hand. Mike??

--DD
boxsterfan
Here it is on Roadglue.

One Cool 914
boxsterfan
Has anyone put the unit from Vintage Air in a 914?
tommy914
No but I was thinking about it.

You go first!
boxsterfan
It sure seems like you could run a double condenser setup in the grills of a early bumper car. Maybe the "mini" vintage air unit could be fit into the existing location?
RD Evans
Here is an under dash evaporator from Hot Rod Air.

IPB Image

I have talked to them several times and they were way more helpful than Vintage Air. HRA is located outside San Antonio.

I plan on using this evaporator with a rotary compressor and HRA's remote condensor, IPB Image
tommy914
here is the article from roadglue:

Cool 914/6
Steve
Thanks alot for the help.

I will check out the links and next time i'm in Vegas I will drop by Renegade Hybrids and check out his solution.
I was also curious about Griffiths solution
http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/911ac/index.htm
He has a condensor that fits in the fender.
I'm curious if it would fit in the right rear fender.

-Steve
bondo
Ooh, could you take pics of the renegade one when you see it? I forgot to even look at it when I went there (oops).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.