Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anybody hang out at Pelican
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
I used to hang out there as much as here, but I kept checking it out less and less. Now I don't think I've been on their BBS in a couple of months. So, does anybody else from here still check it out? Anybody still cross posting? (I used to do that a lot too) It seems like we're getting more and more newbies on here, are they coming from Pelican? Just curious.
SirAndy
peli-who? peli-what?

confused24.gif
GWN7
Not much, since "He who is not to be named" posts there.....
J P Stein
I go there to keep an eye on the AX & Racing BBS..since there's not one here....post occasionaly both there & the 914 BBS. confused24.gif
skline
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 6 2004, 12:33 PM)
Not much, since "He who is not to be named" posts there.....

Who is the one not to be named? Dave Darling? lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

I still go there sometimes, but not as much as I used to. This board is so much more active and alive. The Peilican board seems to be all but dead. I would post at night and the next morning it would still be the last post and the last read post. If I post here at night, if notbody else replies, it would be off the page by next morning.
rey
I check it out for info. I need all help I can get beer.gif
Root_Werks
Never checked it out, this is my second BBS. I was on rennlist years and years ago when it was still called porschelist. I like this BBS, it is very active. Topics get scrolled off pretty quick once they die off.
Brad Roberts
Nope. Havent been in there in over a year and havent visited Rennlist in over 2 years. The plan is to keep this fresh and "alive" with content changes and feature additions (as time permits)

B
SpecialK
Pelican was my first 914 BBS and has a wealth of tech articles and 914 specific posts. It definitely doesn't have the "freedom of speech" [read: four letter words] that this site allows happy11.gif Hey, I was in the Navy, what can I say drunk.gif pirate.gif

I do get 99% of my new parts from them, in fact I just got my rear rotors and pads from them yesterday. Better quit messing around on the computer and go put on my new parts...I love "new" parts wub.gif
Dave_Darling
Well, I still read the Bird board... wink.gif It's not nearly as active as it used to be, but there's still life there. Activity comes and goes, and I don't think anyone there is worried about it....

--DD
balljoint
I read the board, but don't post. I have also made good use of their tech articles and purchased parts from them as well. It's a good full service site IMHO, but as stated, I like the garage atmosphere around here.
beerchug.gif
AZ914
I still look over there about once a day. Still some good stuff, gotta love the tech articles etc.

There seems to be a core group of guys that hang there that don't really hang here much... Not sure why, just seems to be that way.

"He who is not to be named"

Good 'The Village' reference!!
ruddyboys
I seem to hit the bird board about once a day, chime in when I can. When I need to post a question it goes to smiliest BBS on the net. Besides this board always reminds me of a bunch of guys, and girls hanging out and having a few too many Beers. beer3.gif
cooltimes
Early 914 knowledge and many bases of friendship about the 914 was gathered in those other places mentioned. Without the sites mentioned, it is unlikely the one we all are communicating on as I type would be as populated with current owners or those interested in the 914.
Never burn a 914 bridge. It may be the road you need in the future. Brad predicted in a post just a day or so ago that the 914 would be like the 356 in less than 10 years, a fading model of those with Porsche interest. Let's hope this site, 914CLUB, remains intact and viable as it is a great place for 914 friendship but there will always be another newbie 914 site that can spin our socks off and lead into the rhealms of our wildest imagination.

Spoken as someone who has belonged to all these great 914 sites and will to any future ones if I am still breathing.

Cooley
RustyWa
I usually start here at 914world.com when I'm searching for info about my cars problems. 8 out of 10 times I can't find the info I'm looking for. *IF* I remember, I'll go over to Pelican and do the same search. 8 out of 10 times I *DO* find what I'm looking for.

They have a much larger archive of GENERAL BBS content at the moment. Of course that's just my opinion....

Even with all that, I still spend more time here.
campbellcj
I mainly peruse the 911, Racing and Offtopic boards over there. The 911 board is getting tiresome and repetitive IMHO (in the same way the old Rennlist group did after it 'exceeded' critical mass). The PP classifieds are very strong but are not of much interest to me either at this point in my projectitudeness (Bushism?). The PP Racing forum is solid but Rennlist might actually have a leg up there.

Believe it or not, there have been some enjoyable OT dicussions in their OT forum...after a few years of the p-car sickness I definitely need to mix it up a bit with some non-p-car stuff!

For 914 content, 914world.com is THE place, bar none!
redshift
I stopped posting there, when Wayne, in all his magnificent assholeness decided it's ok for people from outside our country, to make some visious attacks on the USA, unanswered.

He's a fuckwad, and I wouldn't buy an NOS MPS from him for a nickle.

Miles
swood
Gee Oh Great One,
How do you really feel??

Wassaby Miles?

s jester.gif
cooltimes
I wasn't aware Wayne's opinion was as mentioned and if it is, that is just as important he has the right to express whatever opinion he wants to express as another a couple of post above except knowing Wayne, he would never rant.

BBS are cool. You would never have the chance to speak your mind using local newspaper editorials without the editors editing what you say and then it isn't your own opinion.

Again, speaking personally, I like em all, the 914 BBS's. IMHO, I think this site is more 914 fun than most because Brad has 914's, drives 914's and loves the spirit of those others wanting to keep the 914 fun and spirit rolling. I had no idea he was so involved with the 914 when I 1st met him. Many of those early 914 people held in high regard because of their services offered never chit chatted with other 914 owners using their time as we do here. They had something to sell. (I am not referring to the other 914 BBS's) So does Brad. Support him and you support the 914 and your 914 interests.

Other BBS sites focused more on other models so 914CLUB.COM has to be where 914 owners hang out.

Think as an individual. I always do. My opinion is always only my own.

Cooley
Joe Bob
I go to harass the taildraggers.....
cooltimes
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 7 2004, 07:16 AM)
I go to harass the taildraggers.....

LOL beerchug.gif
Is that something like 5'6" and 180 lbs?

Cooley
(these dummy posts of mine keep adding up. Maybe I'll lose the newbie status but these old fingers sure do squawk as I do)
Toast
I have only visited the Pelican board once this year I think. Once I joined this bbs, I spend most of my time here. The P board seemed to have died off after the last Baja II run, which is when I joined the 914world.com. Now that I have my own 914, I will probably visit it more for the tech articles.
Brad Roberts
Here is what I hear the most:

Mind you they could be blowing smoke up my backside

"When you left Rennlist it died.."

"When you left Pelican it died.."

I noticed the trend when I left Rennlist. All of sudden Pelican was on fire... I took notice. People constantly emailing me asking me where I went. I would tell them that I enjoyed the Pelican format better than the email groups...

I took a look at the Pelican BBS software (which is free until you make money from the website) and decided I had enough knowledge and knew enough people that I could run my own. I asked for some help on the graphics (becuase I thought it was stupid that PP ran theirs with the default crappy colors back then) asked for some help on the database stuff and 1 year 8 months we have over 2300 members. Not bad for free.

Stay tuned. It will get even better.

B
cooltimes
You could be right. Admittingly, you usually are. Oh crap, did I say that. LOL
I noticed the vacuum when you left. It was swift, almost vindictive in manner after the JD and Brad spat. Word is that people wanted to say what they wanted to say without restriction and you gave them such a format. Thanks.

On the other hand, there are those who look for something to do with their free time and score heavy in a format where you can follow whatever your interests may be and forget all the chit chat that doesn't boggle your mind with things that are not what you hang in here for. Works great.

Thanks all. I still think of all 914 sysops as a personal friend.

Cooley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.