Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Gurus (or just anyone who'll listen):
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smoverstreet
Hello to all. Very VERY much a newb here. However, I am passionate about older porsches, and 914's in particular. I have an opportunity to purchase a '73 914 for a pretty good price (as in I could get it prob. for $1 to 1.5k). I've been assured that the engine and tranny are in good shape. However, the key is missing, so I can't start it to be certain. I don't think I'd want to right now either, cause it's been sitting for about 9 yrs. It looks to have been converted to a single carb setup. The main apprehension, though is rust. The bottom of the passenger side door is rusted. The driver's floorpan is shot through, the driver's door sill and accompanying jack point looks to be badly rusted, and the rear trunk is rusted across half of the width by the taillights. I can only assume that the hell hole is rusted, cause I can't get the compartment lid to unlatch to look. It does at least look as if the suspension pick-up points are both okay, but alas I am looking with untrained eyes.

Obviously there are a lot of uncertainties with this teen, but it is very local, and the price is right. I have never welded, never restored a car, and I've never worked on an air-cooled engine before. I do not have a shop, but I have a relatively large garage with a dedicated bay for this. To anyone who's actually attempted this sort of thing before - am I biting off more than I can chew for my first time at bat? Thank you all.

Pics are in the link - hopefully.
Pics of '73 914

Steve

EDIT: It seems to me that my link isn't working properly, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be thankful. I'd really like some expert eyes on these pics.
mepstein
Huge project. Large amount of rust repair. Tens of thousands to restore the car. My opinion - $1K is too much.
Larouex
for those of use that have tried with a tub with this much rust, you are in for a huge project and a lot of money, a lot of money. This tub is likely not work repairing looking at the places that are rusty, there will be a lot of structural rust behind those areas as the sills and pans will be nothing compared to the hell hole and the longs.

Just my opinion,
Larouex
mikea100
Run, don't walk, away.
campbellcj
+1 - sometimes even a 'free' 914 could be the most expensive one you could buy...be careful!
mepstein
If you can get it for a couple hundred, buy it, take it apart and learn a ton about 914's. Make a couple hundred $'s or more selling the parts and put it towards a better car.

welcome.png
championgt1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2011, 07:40 PM) *

If you can get it for a couple hundred, buy it, take it apart and learn a ton about 914's. Make a couple hundred $'s or more selling the parts and put it towards a better car.

welcome.png

agree.gif
Nie Zu Alt
Run Forest Run!

I think a large number of us have been in your position and learned the hard expen$ive way. My first 914, I ended up parting out - far too gone to fix for the budget I had. Save some more bucks and get a car that is running and drivable now. You'll be glad you did.....and there will still be plenty to work on!

Doug
dangrouche
run from that one. it may be tempting cuz its in your area, but this one is parts only
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(smoverstreet @ Nov 11 2011, 06:55 PM) *

I am passionate about older porsches, and 914's in particular.

Steve

Buying that car (I use the term "car" here only in the most general sense) would surely dampen your aforementioned passion. Wait, if you must, to purchase something that will give you at least a hint of being roadworthy by your on hand before retirement age biggrin.gif

welcome.png Glad to have you with us, but hold out for something much better.

Paul
Rand
the price is right. I have never welded, never restored a car

No, the price is wrong. If they paid you that much to take it away and use it for welding practice, it might be worth your time.

Welcome to the "world." Keep hanging around here and you'll find a better project. smile.gif
Tom_T
There are some better 914s for sale now, which will be less costly in the long run to buy & restore, so you're best to keep looking.

You could get this one for $2-500 or so as a parts car if you want to stock &/or sell off parts, as suggested above.

welcome.png
KELTY360
Trouble.....with a capital T. sad.gif

welcome.png
Mike Bellis
Looks like one of those rust free free rust 914's biggrin.gif

RUN!
smoverstreet
Thanks for the helpful words, folks. I am going to leave it. I don't want a boat anchor holding down my driveway for the next 10 yrs. You guys have said in the past that's it's much better to set my sights and a little higher and I'll come out better in the long run. That's exactly what I am going to do. Now, just need to find one for a decent price relatively nearby.

Steve
Jeffs9146
Offer them $200-$300 there will be parts you will need and parts you can sell as you progress down this path of addiction that we are all stuck in! help.gif
Dr Evil
Having spare parts around helps make friends, too smile.gif
smoverstreet
Well, I called they guy back and said no thanks. I considered putting in a low-ball offer for the parts, but there's a very real chance the the drivetrain is not useable/worth the trouble. For all I know, that could have been the reason why the thing was parked in the first place. Decided to go higher in my price and expectations. Any one in the Memphis area selling, or at least can get a look at a good runner?
Cap'n Krusty
I'm dumfounded. Somebody asked for the advice of those on the list, got good advice, and then LISTENED TO IT! Will wonders never cease?

Welcome to the list, and I hope you enjoy our witty repartee and wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately, you've just enjoyed the only free pass from the Krustiness reserved for listers in good standing. You wasted it!

The Cap'n
76-914
1st off welcome.png 2nd let me interpret for you. That was a left handed compliment that John had in in stash. It might possibly have been the only one in existence. av-943.gif
smoverstreet
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 12 2011, 05:30 PM) *

1st off welcome.png 2nd let me interpret for you. That was a left handed compliment that John had in in stash. It might possibly have been the only one in existence. av-943.gif

Thanks for the welcome. And thanks for the interpretation; I'm used to lefties. They're an odd bunch! beerchug.gif
Brodie
Smoverstreet, Welcome to 914 world. I agree with everybody else. My advice is when you look for any car. Spend more up front to get a car that is in the best shape possible. Chances are most all 914s have had some rough times in there lives. Find one that has been repaired by somebody who knows what they are doing or that has had a cushy life. It sounds like you haven't had much experience wrenching before, and that is fine. I always encourage people to dive into something and get their hands dirty. At the same time please don't drown yourself. You want to come out of this experience with a car that runs and that you can enjoy the heck out of it. The alternative is to get so sick and tired of looking at it that you sell it for parts with a fraction of the cost that you spent on it. I did that with a '74 Bronco. Be patient and find the right car, and ask what you don't know. Ask questions from the suppliers that you buy materials and tools from, and of course 914 World. If somebody on the forum doesn't know an answer, than it probably doesn't relate to a 914.

Good Luck!
deloreandude86
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2011, 09:13 PM) *

Huge project. Large amount of rust repair. Tens of thousands to restore the car. My opinion - $1K is too much.

I would have to agree, You'd be hard pressed to salvage $1000 worth of parts off it.
PanelBilly
Start by finding someone in your area and giving them some free help. Hands on education just can't be matched.
smoverstreet
Thanks again to everyone for their advice. My DD is a 2001 Land Rover Discovery, so I am no stranger to fixing my own cars. You have to be hands on with that one, or you'll spend more than the car's worth in maintenance and repairs in the first year. Call me masochistic, but I just enjoy getting my hands dirty. But obviously a 914 is a different animal. My first job was as an auto-body person, but being 16-18 at the time the most I ever did was prepping and primering panels - no welding or painting. Now at 35 with 3 kids I just don't want to look back in 15 years saying "I wish I did that.". Especially when my 6 yr old said to me about the rust bucket "Dad, is that for me? Is that my car? Cool!"
fteixeira
QUOTE(smoverstreet @ Nov 14 2011, 09:25 AM) *

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. My DD is a 2001 Land Rover Discovery, so I am no stranger to fixing my own cars. You have to be hands on with that one, or you'll spend more than the car's worth in maintenance and repairs in the first year. Call me masochistic, but I just enjoy getting my hands dirty. But obviously a 914 is a different animal. My first job was as an auto-body person, but being 16-18 at the time the most I ever did was prepping and primering panels - no welding or painting. Now at 35 with 3 kids I just don't want to look back in 15 years saying "I wish I did that.". Especially when my 6 yr old said to me about the rust bucket "Dad, is that for me? Is that my car? Cool!"

I'm exactly in the same boat. I'm 37. Two young kids. Bought a '74 1.8 back in April and have been fixing bit by bit. Body is decent, except for the floor pan behind the seats... classic leaky rear window. There is some minor bondo in a few places that need attention when I repaint the car eventually. Paint right now is a disaster. Gotta get the rear bolted back in after a tranny overhaul (Dr. Evil clinic), flywheel, clutch, re-bushing, CVs and bearings.

Find a reasonably priced teener with a decent body... no rot. A bit a rust is fine if its in easy to fix places. Bottom line, have fun with it and keep expectations in check. My car will never be a show queen, but I'm ok with that. I'm in it for the experience and the thrill of a driving such a raw car compared to today's insulated capsules. I hop in it, take it for a spin, and forget about life for a while.

fteixeira
Spoke
welcome.png

When buying a 914 or any older vehicle, you have to ask yourself what you want to get out of it.

Do you want to:
a. Buy turn-key with good $$. Jump in, turn the key and start driving
b. Buy a fixer-upper with medium $$. It runs, has some rust and other issues.
c. Buy a project with little $$. Non-running, will be off the road for years and cost lots of $$

I suggest something between a. and b. This car is c but expensive at $1k-1.5k. If not running, less than $500. If not running and rusty, $100.

It's always tempting to buy something you can see and touch.

The Porsche 914 is as close as possible to a man-made black hole. Once you go in, you may never come out.

Get $3k to $6k aside and look for a nicer 914 that has a 2.0L and runs with minimal rust. You will save money in the long run.

Also, if you do go to look at a 914, take someone from this site with you. Don't go alone. The few beers and a steak dinner is well worth the cost.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 18 2011, 09:05 PM) *

welcome.png

When buying a 914 or any older vehicle, you have to ask yourself what you want to get out of it.

Do you want to:
a. Buy turn-key with good $$. Jump in, turn the key and start driving
b. Buy a fixer-upper with medium $$. It runs, has some rust and other issues.
c. Buy a project with little $$. Non-running, will be off the road for years and cost lots of $$

I suggest something between a. and b. This car is c but expensive at $1k-1.5k. If not running, less than $500. If not running and rusty, $100.

It's always tempting to buy something you can see and touch.

The Porsche 914 is as close as possible to a man-made black hole. Once you go in, you may never come out.

Get $3k to $6k aside and look for a nicer 914 that has a 2.0L and runs with minimal rust. You will save money in the long run.

Also, if you do go to look at a 914, take someone from this site with you. Don't go alone. The few beers and a steak dinner is well worth the cost.

agree.gif What he said.....when I was looking, I saw at least 15 cars. everything from completly disassembled 2.0's to rusty 1.7's. the one thing in common was the owners thought they were worth way more than they were. One particular car, the owner thought it was a LE (it wasn't) the VIN was out of range. This guy wanted 2K and it was a non-runner. I went back twice, second time with a good flashlight and discovered it had a basket case body.
The best advice I received was to buy the best one you can afford and bring a friend as a voice of reason. Don't let the romantic idea of "i can save it" get you. You'll just end up selling it for a fraction of what you paid 2-5 years later.
The one I bought was 4K and I'm glad I spent the extra at the front end.
Check my build thread....I'm still getting there
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=127565&hl=

good luck!

SW
Mark Henry
Buy the best car you can find...even if you have to get a loan.
Still be cheaper then a resto and you can drive it now.
bye1.gif
Drums66
........ welcome.png
ottox914
Take your time, wait for the right car, talk to us on the forums, and if possible, find a member close to home. Buy them some beer and pizza, help wrench on their car- get to know the 914. Bring them along when you find another car to look at. Someone with some been there-done that can be a good counterpoint to have along when shopping.
IronHillRestorations
Where is Nesbitt? I'm halfway between Memphis and Nashville.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.