914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
My dream car: original black 914-6, GT flares, 3.2L motor, 915 transmission

Ok, for the 1/3rd the price it would cost to build that I got this:
anthony
One more:
Aaron Cox
brainwashed and wooed to the dark side ph34r.gif

looks like a donor car to me! laugh.gif jk.... looks sharp!
anthony
This is a three owner mostly original, never been hit, 86K mile 1981 911SC. It passed the PPI with flying colors. 170-175psi in all cylinders, no tranny/synchro issues, runs drives perfect, new clutch 20K miles ago. It's a shame that we can't buy 914-6es with 3.0L engines for so cheap.

It's a lot of car for the money! It's so fun to floor it and hear the engine roar. 3000rpms to redline is a blur. What fun!
Aaron Cox
smilie_pokal.gif im happy for you! sounds like a fun ride!
anthony
brainwashed and wooed to the dark side

Ha! I'm keeping the 914.

Think of it this way. A nice 911 costs less than a Toyota Echo but it doesn't lose half of it's value in 4 years. Which would you rather drive?
Demick
That's a beauty Anthony. Congratulations. I would love to pick up one of those as well. I tried to talk the wife into it, but she said only one P-car for me, and I'm not yet ready to give up the 914.

Demick
PatW
Looks like a winner Anthony. Bring it to the next IHOP. I'd like to see it..

Pat
red914
wow. that car is gorgeous! wub.gif someday i will have one of those in my stable, too, right next to the totally refurbished 914, the 914 project car (shane, wake up, shane), all in a big garage with a lift (shane, wake up!), and full tool chests, air compressor (shane! wake up!)... oh, huh?... uh, nevermind. wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(red914 @ Aug 6 2004, 09:04 PM)
wow. that car is gorgeous! wub.gif someday i will have one of those in my stable, too, right next to the totally refurbished 914, the 914 project car (shane, wake up, shane), all in a big garage with a lift (shane, wake up!), and full tool chests, air compressor (shane! wake up!)... oh, huh?... uh, nevermind. wacko.gif

seems like you suffer from multiple personality disorder. jk...was a funny post wink.gif
boxstr
Just drove this lovely 1988 Carrera up from Palm Desert. Purchased from the original owner in Los Angeles. Passed PPI, 150k miles. New clutch, new Dunlops. Triple black, sport suspension and seats. Never hit or painted. Fun, fun car. You cannot get this much pleasure from the new econo boxes that cost twice as much or more.
CCLINDAMPCAMP
boxstr
Pic 2.
anthony
Nice! It's a trend.
red914
wow. wub.gif wow. wub.gif nice cars, really nice cars.
vortrex
your first mod maybe?
rhodyguy
like you NEED another black car craig rolleyes.gif . it's only lacking a few cone scars. both cars are beauties.

kevin
beemie96
So here's a question... how much is a 'good deal' on a car like this? 83-88 model year range...
rhodyguy
exactly. what econo box are we using for the price comparison?

kevin
i love porsche
ooo shes purty!
anthony
There's a big difference between an '83 911SC and an '88 Carrera. An '88 has a 3.2L engine and the G50 transmission and improved clutch whereas the SC has a 3.0L engine and a 915 tranny.

From Bruce Andersen's price guide:

In Good condition:
1983SC $14921
1988 Carrera $18570

In Excellent condition:
1983SC $19975
1988 Carrera $24150

Now many think the BA prices for 911s are on the low side. In BA parlance an "excellent" car is mostly a flawless car, one notch down from concours. It has low mileage, original paint, etc. Those are very hard cars to find and usually command higher prices IMO. His "good" conditon is what most of us would think of as an excellent driver - an extremely presentable car with no major issues. I'd say my car is at that level and I paid a decent percentage less than his good valuation. It was a screaming deal. You can find them if you look. But even fully valued, IMO, these cars offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Just like with 914s we all have bought 914s from people that don't know the 914 market, don't know where to advertise their car for maximum exposure, and end up selling their car for less than market. Or maybe that is what skews BA's numbers to the low side.
Brad Roberts
Anthony,

Did TonyH take care of you ?? Car looks awesome.. I wish I wuld have kept my black sc and my white sc.. I do miss them.

B
Red-Beard
I paid $10K for my 1982SC and I have $13-14K into it right now. But then, the interior is perfect, the paint is perfect and it does have a lot of the handling upgrades.

And it's (in)famous! cool_shades.gif
anthony
Brad, TonyH was awesome. He really took care of me and spent a lot of time with me going over every square inch of the car. I feel that I know the car really well now after spending the time with him.
Brad Roberts
Yep. Tony rocks. Cool guy.

Glad everything went well.

B
Elliot_Cannon
I bought a 79 911sc about 7 years ago and love it. I am only the second owner. The first guy had it about 18 years. I also have a 73 914 2.2. I was going to look at the 76 914 that is on ebay now but the wife stopped me at 2 P cars. She just doesn't understand!
Your car looks awesome and I think you will be really happy with it.
Cheers, Elliot
markb
We picked up our 82SC Coupe about a year and a half ago for 15k. It took third at German Autofest last year in the Concours. There are deals to be had, and they are fun to drive. Not as much fun as the 914, but then what is. wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
WOW. Drop-dead gorgeous!

What makes the SC special?
anthony
SC: nothing particular. The early 911, Carrera, later Carrera2/4, 993, etc. all have their own individual charm. The SCs have what is considered a bullet proof 3.0L engine that will go 200-300K miles although there will probably be an upper end refresh somewhere between 100-150K miles.

Personally I think mostly that they are the best bargains among the 911s if you can find a nice one that hasn't been thrashed.

Lots of people call the late Carrera 3.2 with the G50 transmission the best of the bunch but one as clean as I got would command a $7-10K premium over an equivalent SC. With $7-10K you could do a lot to an SC or just keep the money in your pocket. The Carreras are also heavier so the extra horsepower doesn't yield a much faster car. The 3.0L can also be tweeked quite a bit. Stock US hp is 185. If you have to do an upper end you could bump compression to European specs and achieve 204hp. SSIs headers and a free flow exhaust will free up 20hp. Of course all this hp costs $$$.
Carl
Congratulations, Tony. That's a very pretty car and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. They're fine cars. Different than 914's for sure but great fun in their own right.

I had a '78 SC Targa for ~15 years and loved it except for a 2400 - 2600 rpm stumble that I could never solve, and that was after many hours of work by me and the $hop. It was just one of those annoyances that wouldn't go away.

Since the SC - Carrera series ran from 78 - 89, I wanted a one from the end of the run just prior to the style change. Also, this time I wanted a coupe with its stiffer body and quieter windows in addition to the newer motronic injection, G50 trans, hydraulic clutch and bigger brakes (although the SC brakes are GREAT).

A year ago last December I found this car, <50,000 miles and in excellent condition. Very few dings of any sort and it's never been hit. Since buying it I've done some tweaks and upgrades, It's an excellent car. As you mentioned though, it's a bit heavier than the SC's so the performance isn't much different but it is a nice handling, reliable car ... except for the CHT sensor that went out in San Luis Obispo last year, grrr...

On the basis of Bruce Anderson's figures I paid at the top end of the range but I'm not complaining. This is a car I'll have for a long time.

These are very solid cars with good performance and great versatility. It looks like you made a good buy.

Carl
anthony
Carl, I see that you love metallic blue cars! I love the wheels refinished old style like that. Beautiful car.

I took the SC to the GGR autocross today. It was great to get a better feeling for it and be able to push the limits in a safe environment.

The 914 though is way more fun to autocross.
ClayPerrine
HEY!!! I hate to tell you this..... but someone put the engine in backwards..... and that particular body kit on a 914 is WAY over done. laugh.gif

All kidding aside.. Nice car.
Mueller
Hey Anthony..........

wow, what a beauty !!!!! clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.