Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Convertible 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
heavydriver
Hello, I am a new member looking for some information/advice.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there was an outfit in Carson Ca. that was marketing a convertible kit for the 914. Their name was MAI Auto Division. There were 2 men, Bill Guinn and Bill McKnight.

I was wondering if anybody knew of these guys or had any other tips on how to make my 914 a convertible??
Brad Roberts
I forget the guy's name, but somewhere buried on the Google archives you'll find a guy who dedicated a decent site to the 914 convertables built in Socal.

The person I would call is Bob Farnham. He runs the body shop in Venice Ca. where most of the conversions where done. I dont know the name of the body shop... but I know it is still there. Bob called a "division" of his place "Beach Boy's Racing". He is right next door to "Otto"s. Someone else on the BBS here can get you the numbers. Last I checked they where utilizing parts from a Miata top.

B
Ctrout
Try this site. It might be what you are looking for.914 Convertible
Brad Roberts
They are the ONLY (so called) vendor that I would advise you staying away from. I have seen some seriously hacked crap come out of that place. The beer bottle is more important to them than getting anything done around the "compound".

B
heavydriver
I have already talked to them. The method they use removes the entire sail panel and rear window. I do not think that this is practicle for a Fl. car. To much unexpected rain.

BTW this is not the first time I have been warned about them.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha... and it wont be the last.

B
Brad Roberts
Welcome BTW clap56.gif

I noticed your signup. Good to see you posting so quickly.

We have many members throughout Florida.

B
heavydriver
My little one has been dissasembled for the last 10 years.

Its restoration is starting to take as long as my college degree.
Brad Roberts
You'll fit right in with this group... beerchug.gif

B
watsonrx13
Welcome to Central Florida Group. If you need anything, just post. There's alot of local teeners with vast years of experience. Don't worry about getting the car to a drivable state, it will get there when it get's there.

Again, welcome the the ABYSS. biggrin.gif
heavydriver
Hey, where do the central Fl. guys hang out ?? I need to immerse myself back in the "car culture".
Rider914
Full time convertable - not good for regular days, but great on sundays!
heavydriver
Rider 914:

NICE CAR. I think that you and I have E-mailed in the past about this subject. Your car is unmistakable.

I guess full time sunshine is good but you have had her inside for the better part of the last 2 weeks, have you not..

I like it , however impractical it is. If I cannot find a way to make mine a functioning convertible I would like to imitate yours.

BTW I used to work out on the Beeline on the way to Moroso.
Rider914
Thanks, You are right - rain every day for a good month now. Today I went out for a quick run (down the Bee Line) saw 5k in 5th! Then went to the beach for a little surfing!

I have a water proof cover that works well, but I'm not afraid of a little rain - rust is going to get her one day sooner or later. Better to drive it than let it rust in the garage.
heavydriver
I'm glad that someone is enjoying their car.

I am going to start my rebuild and leave the top situation
until the end. Maybe something will turn up along the way.
914werke
I recall that outfit, I tremember VW & Porsche or perhaps by then they had converted to EC, did a artical with a White car. The top dropped into a tray fabbed where the engin lid is. To compensate for the lack of intake air they fabbed scoops extending from the door latch scallops.
heavydriver
Exactly, it was a December 1989 issue of VW/ Porsche magazine. I still have that issue. ( I gotta learn to throw things away.)

The car looked great. I don't know how well that particular conversion would work with a V8 conversion, but it looked very nicely done. In the article they state that they were marketing it as a kit, or as a conversion done by them.
neo914-6
heavydriver,
December 1989 issue of VW/ Porsche magazine
Can you scan and post some pics from that issue?
Felix
heavydriver
I'll try. I am about as low tech as they come. I still have not figured out the smiley faces that everyone uses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.