Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Both carbs leaking from fuel inlet after rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
My carbs were in need of a rebuild so I spent the day yesterday doing just that. Everything went pretty smooth and I got everything back together (despite terrible instructions).

The problem is now both carbs are leaking out of the brass cap on the fuel inlet mechanism(see picture)

I tried to tighten things down and make sure the cap wasn't binding on the filter/screen inside and everything looks good. The only thing I can think of is the gaskets that were included were slightly bigger than the old ones, though I didn't think enough to cause a leaks.

Did I miss a step? I threw out the old gaskets (I know, dumb) so I can't measure them exactly, I just remember the old ones being tougher to pry out than the new ones going on.

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 13 2011, 11:55 AM) *

I just remember the old ones being tougher to pry out than the new ones going on.
Click to view attachment

Pry out? Dig you bugger up the surface with your prying? I've never had to really pry them out. Usually a finger nail or a gentle lift from a small screwdriver from the inside of the hole gets them out for me. Did you pry from the outside?
biosurfer1
"pry" was not the right term. What I meant was the gasket was tight against the brass plug. Not sticking but I had to "unscrew" it to get it off...didn't have to use a screwdriver at all. The new gasket I was able to just push it over the threads and it seems to be sticking out between the mating surfaces more than the old one.

Does anyone know what the name of that gasket is? Are there different sizes?
SUNAB914
Mine are dells, so the bolt goes in the side, both mine leaked today when I got it running, I just tightened both up and no more leaking. I know you must have tried that already, so it must be gasket.
r_towle
google
redline weber

They are the main importer...and they have full parts diagrams etc.

Rich
URY914
Mine did the same thing. I ended up putting O-rings on them.
Ericv1
I had that happen with new gaskets on my 40IDS 3c's. I went through several new gaskets to find that the surfaces had minor knicks in them. I used some 1000 grit sand paper and spent a few minutes sanding each surface and that fixed the problem.
biosurfer1
Thanks URY...never thought of o-rings, I got those:)

Rich, the rebuild kit I got is from Redline...got to say, I'm not too impressed. Didn't come with the little brass bar for the floats and none of the gaskets for the carb body seemed to work very well. Though, its all they stock at bugformance and I didn't want my 914 off the road while I wait for Amazon to ship...I know better for next time.

I'll make sure to inspect the mating surfaces again.
HarveyH
I did a rebuild this summer and had same leak on one unit. I also found a few very fine scratches on the sealing face on the carb body. As EricV1 said, a little 1000 grit on a flat block to polish them out fixed the problem.
Harvey
biosurfer1
Well I cleaned up the mating surfaces and put some o-rings in instead of the gaskets and no leaks anymore so looking good.

Of course, when I went to try and start the car for the first time, the battery had drained and after a charge, I realized it was dead.

A quick trip to FLAPS and the car started on the first crank first.gif

The default settings from the Weber manual gets it to idle (though a bit high) so I'll start my tuning from here.

To be honest, I've had carbs for more than a year but they were already on the engine I bought so I never put the time into learn which is what I'm doing now. I've found they arn't terribly hard to learn but tough to master and fine tune correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.