Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For Sale 1974 914-4 LE Project $1,000.0 obo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Cargirl
Taking any offers on this car - owner needs to move a 68 Mustang into the garage to work on the engine for a client and there's no room!

Owner has verbal confirmation from Porsche that this is a genuine 1947 Porsche 914-4 LE Can Am 2.0.

Have added pictures of the undercarriage

VIN 14686, has a paint code L041..

Even though the car is rough the drivetrain alone is worth $700.00. Car comes with the extra tire. Asking $1,200.00 obo.

Call Jason at 63l-418-5287 (9am-9pm)...if he does not answer, please leave message and he will return your call. no text please! Car is located in Pittsburgh PA.

Here is more info on the car and pictures on the link below:

4cylinder fuel injected, manual transmission with air conditioning .

Owner's notes

VIN:4742914686

-Acquired car in trade... have title and keys.
This is an original low mileage car. It came out of a collection and previous owner took it apart to make a race car before deciding he did not have the time.
Car has been sitting for a few years, started to rebuild about 2 years ago. at time was running at the time with engine and trans rebuilt. car is mostly complete and body work was started, but has since been sitting... car is pretty solid, but has some rust and rot(battery box, rr quarter panel, and frame... all the same area), little surface rust on other panels. solid front end, doors, hood, trunk, roof, fenders, left quarter... (in the process of minor cleaning, getting it running, moving and stopping) does roll at the moment. car does have a/c system, but don't see a compressor/pump anywhere. cleaned fuel system, rebuilt starter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors, fuel filter... engine spins, but does not seem to be getting spark... had it running last week (or at least it started) with a coil from a Toyota so the 914 coil is bad. Have found extra parts, extra mint condition engine hatch with letter badges. Local Porsche guy checked out the car and said it was original. Will post engine number tomorrow. Not certain the 772 is original mileage but the fact that it was in a collection and then dismantled for most of its life points to that being the original number.

Pictures can be seen here:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/classictag/914-4/Click to view attachment
mepstein
If you pay me $500, I will pick up and remove. That's my best offer. mark

happy11.gif
Cargirl
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2011, 10:49 AM) *

If you pay me $500, I will pick up and remove. That's my best offer. mark

Thanks but we will wait for more informed buyers that understand what "best offer" means. Why ever would you want to travel god knows how many miles - 500 - 1000 to pick up a car you would not know what to do with. If you need money so badly I think McDonald's is hiring smile.gif

happy11.gif

GaroldShaffer
Just A FYI Rules here state you must list a asking price.

We've established the following guidelines to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- Please put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment.
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!

budk
Wow, that's really rough.

What's the paint code?

It looks like it could be a bumblebee.
BuddyV
Part of a collection?

dry.gif

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 13 2011, 03:56 PM) *

What's the paint code?

agree.gif
bembry
QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Nov 13 2011, 07:08 PM) *

Part of a collection?

dry.gif

Collection of what exactly?
Cargirl
QUOTE(bembry @ Nov 14 2011, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Nov 13 2011, 07:08 PM) *

Part of a collection?

dry.gif

Collection of what exactly?

Car was part of a collection when with the first owner. taken apart and left unfinished by the second owner.
Gint
This isn't ebay. Put a price on your item for sale per the rules.

And good luck. smile.gif
Cargirl
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 14 2011, 05:54 PM) *

This isn't ebay. Put a price on your item for sale per the rules.

And good luck. smile.gif

no problem. I'm selling the car for my mechanic and he would like to get at least 700.00 for it.
joe15701
mine is far from the condition of others on this site, but I only paid 750 and can drive it. easily passed Pa. Inspection.. Maybe I was lucky, but price seems little high, would he be willing to sell parts?Click to view attachment
sfrenck
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 13 2011, 09:15 PM) *

What's the paint code?

agree.gif

Right VIN for an LE. Looks like a bumble that was given a yellow coat of paint.
Cargirl
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 17 2011, 10:55 AM) *

What's the paint code?

agree.gif

I sent the info on the car to someone who knows much more about these cars than I do. This was his response: Your car VIN 14686, has a paint code L041...I see it has other 914 LE characteristics. The LE Registry includes cars 14685 and 14687...Its is highly likely that your car is a 914 LE.

I am going to call Porsche this afternoon and see what they can tell me. Then we will take it from there. Very cool to find a car that actually turns out to be more than you thought it was - as opposed to the other way around which is often the case. beerchug.gif
Drums66

What's the paint code?

...So it is a bumblebee?? idea.gif
bye1.gif
budk
QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 17 2011, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 17 2011, 10:55 AM) *

What's the paint code?

agree.gif

I sent the info on the car to someone who knows much more about these cars than I do. This was his response: Your car VIN 14686, has a paint code L041...I see it has other 914 LE characteristics. The LE Registry includes cars 14685 and 14687...Its is highly likely that your car is a 914 LE.

I am going to call Porsche this afternoon and see what they can tell me. Then we will take it from there. Very cool to find a car that actually turns out to be more than you thought it was - as opposed to the other way around which is often the case. beerchug.gif

Good luck trying to "call Porsche" .... they won't give a F***... I'm just saying.

It is likely a bumblebee but unless you pay to get the COA you will not know for sure.... even then, given it's condition my opinion is that you will be lucky to get your asking price. The condition is really rough in the pics and likely much worse in person.
914runnow
Your 7 to 12 hundred is fair.....
just go with that....
Good luck and Happy 'T' Day....
Cargirl
QUOTE(914runnow @ Nov 21 2011, 10:01 PM) *

Your 7 to 12 hundred is fair.....
just go with that....
Good luck and Happy 'T' Day....

Thanks for the support. I am getting a surprising number of e-mails telling me to keep the car and fix it up but it is not my car to keep. I am just the messenger here doing a little bartering for free work on my own car. The owner is a mechanic that would like to open a motorcycle shop and is saving toward that end. I will take more pictures for anyone that is interested and push him to get the final answers we need to see that the car goes for the best price. I must admit though that if people were not so keen to share information we might never have realized that this car was an LE. It was seriously a pleasant surprise. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
jonferns
It might be an LE...I'd want to see a COA to verify before spending that kind of money on a project like that. My $.02
dflesburg
I will tow it away for you for free.
Cargirl
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 22 2011, 01:05 PM) *

I will tow it away for you for free.

Who wouldn't tow away the car for free? I don't get that response. I'll come live in your house for free. I'll drive your car away for free. Seriously? This is an LE with 722 miles on it Diffelsburg. Read the responses from people that know what the car is worth before responding with something so silly.
Cargirl
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 22 2011, 12:35 PM) *

It might be an LE...I'd want to see a COA to verify before spending that kind of money on a project like that. My $.02

Jon,

The owner has talked to Porsche and will send the paperwork to them on Monday - after the holiday. They will give him written confirmation on the car but the actual COA can be purchased by the next owner if he wishes do so. The owner will have the confirmation though and we will forward it to anyone that asks. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Kelly
FourBlades

Any LE is a rare car. They are worth close to original six prices.

There have been much worse cars restored on here that were run of the mill fours.

Someone should save this car.

John
Cargirl
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Nov 23 2011, 09:02 PM) *

Any LE is a rare car. They are worth close to original six prices.

There have been much worse cars restored on here that were run of the mill fours.

Someone should save this car.

John

Thank you for the voice of reason John. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Kelly
PanelBilly
The cost of restoration would be much greater than the value.
budk
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 25 2011, 11:39 AM) *

agree.gif Very likely true....

And I would bet the unfinished LE that I have sitting in my garage that this car has a lot more miles on it than 722. Look at the pics and make your own judgement.....

I apologize to all for being the first one to suggest that this may be a LE. The price went from no one interested at $700 to now it being a original, low mileage numbers matching car for $1200... but oddly, still no interest. WTF.gif

Cargirl
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 26 2011, 05:59 AM) *

And I would bet the unfinished LE that I have sitting in my garage that this car has a lot more miles on it than 722. Look at the pics and make your own judgement.....

I apologize to all for being the first one to suggest that this may be a LE. The price went from no one interested at $700 to now it being a original, low mileage numbers matching car for $1200... but oddly, still no interest. WTF.gif

No need to apologize. Although you may have suggested the car was an LE it was not your suggestion that led me to inspect the car's number. I am a car broker by trade dealing mainly in prewar cars (before WWII). In my business a lot of people try to fake cars because of their worth so it was second nature for me to check the numbers on this car. $700 was the price for a 914-4 project. The car was always matching numbers. Finding out it was an LE did not change that. As for the low mileage the car has been dismantled longer than it was complete. The brake and gas pedal show very little wear and the steering wheel still has its original ribbing (i.e. it has not been worn down by use) suggesting that this car has not been driven much. Just neglected. As for price it is $1,200 obo. That stands for "or best offer." Finally, we bounced the numbers off of two guys that know these cars inside and out and that number came from them. But as I have said in every posting so far - the owner still needs to get the word from Porsche that this is a real LE. Which he will do on Monday. Cheers.
jonferns
Out of curiosity, how can you claim that it's a numbers matching car without confirming with a COA?
Cargirl
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 26 2011, 03:31 PM) *

Out of curiosity, how can you claim that it's a numbers matching car without confirming with a COA?

Owner had the car checked out by a local 914 expert (not my word but he deals with these cars everyday). He confirmed that the car was matching numbers. But as I have said in every post he will be presenting it to Porsche on Monday. This site will be the first to know the results.
Cargirl
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 26 2011, 05:59 AM) *

Further to the possibility that this is a low mileage car: Look at the seats. These seats are not worn. They are not even broken in.
jonferns
QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 26 2011, 06:52 PM) *

Further to the possibility that this is a low mileage car: Look at the seats. These seats are not worn. They are not even broken in.

huh.gif

Click to view attachment
70 914
Those seats dont appear to be "not broken in" to me ?! Jst sayin!
poorsche914
Definitely 100,732 miles. (at least)

Does appear to be a Bee, though. piratenanner.gif

driving.gif
budk
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Definitely 100,732 miles. (at least)

Does appear to be a Bee, though. piratenanner.gif

driving.gif

Yep, or a broken speedo.

Let's assume it is really 722 miles. In that short time it was repainted Yellow and then again primered up to whatever color it is now.

It makes absolutely no sense. Just sayin'.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 26 2011, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 26 2011, 06:52 PM) *

huh.gif

I think that was "tongue in cheek" maybe? blink.gif

Remember - "Local Porsche guy checked out the car and said it was original." - So at least it didn't start out as a Fiat X1/9
hot_shoe914
I am with Mark, I will be in that area soon with a tow dolly and like Mark, I would have to be paid to haul it off. At least enough to cover my gas and expenses. Just sayin......
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 27 2011, 07:13 PM) *

I am with Mark, I will be in that area soon with a tow dolly and like Mark, I would have to be paid to haul it off. At least enough to cover my gas and expenses. Just sayin......

Shoe, give me a ring. We could drive over together to apply for the Micky D's job!
budk
QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 26 2011, 04:29PM)
No need to apologize. Although you may have suggested the car was an LE it was not your suggestion that led me to inspect the car's number. I am a car broker by trade dealing mainly in prewar cars (before WWII). In my business a lot of people try to fake cars because of their worth so it was second nature for me to check the numbers on this car. [/quote]

bs.gif
Cargirl
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 27 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Ha Ha Ha. Gosh that one never gets old. Hope someone else posts the same response again. It is so original.
budk
QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 28 2011, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 27 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Ha Ha Ha. Gosh that one never gets old. Hope someone else posts the same response again. It is so original.

You know, some of us have been trying, in a humorous way, to help you realize how foolish your ad is. "low mileage", "no wear on the seats - not even broken in yet", "from a collection" btw- there is a similar collection right down the road from me... we call it a salvage yard.

LE or not, this car requires more work than it would be worth if it were completely restored. Sorry, but that is a fact that you seem to ignore.

Your best bet may be to find an organization that you can donate it to and then take a tax deduction for the value that you think this has.
JMKnight
QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 13 2011, 10:35 AM) *

At first the owner thought this was just a run of the mill 914-4 but careful inspection of the VIN and the color code prove otherwise. VIN 14686, has a paint code L041.. The LE Registry includes cars 14685 and 14687...Owner will be calling Porsche to have them verify its status verbally...The new owner can get the COA as proof of validity.

Even though the car is rough the drivetrain alone is worth $700.00. Car comes with the extra tire. Asking $1,200.00 obo.

Call Jason at 63l-418-5287 (9am-9pm)...if he does not answer, please leave message and he will return your call. no text please!

Owner's notes

Looks like an AWFUL lota work sad.gif

This is an original low mileage car. It came out of a collection and previous owner took it apart to make a race car before deciding he did not have the time.
Car has been sitting for a few years, started to rebuild about 2 years ago. at time was running at the time with engine and trans rebuilt. car is mostly complete and body work was started, but has since been sitting... car is pretty solid, but has some rust and rot(battery box, rr quarter panel, and frame... all the same area), little surface rust on other panels. solid front end, doors, hood, trunk, roof, fenders, left quarter... (in the process of minor cleaning, getting it running, moving and stopping) does roll at the moment. car does have a/c system, but don't see a compressor/pump anywhere. cleaned fuel system, rebuilt starter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors, fuel filter... engine spins, but does not seem to be getting spark... had it running last week (or at least it started) with a coil from a Toyota so the 914 coil is bad. Have found extra parts, extra mint condition engine hatch with letter badges. Local Porsche guy checked out the car and said it was original. Will post engine number tomorrow. Not certain the 772 is original mileage but the fact that it was in a collection and then dismantled for most of its life points to that being the original number.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/classictag/914-4/

JRust
I agree it is basically a parts car. If it is an original LE it still might be worth saving for the right person. Problem is no one can verify it is numbers matching. The only thing Porsche puts on a COA is the engine code. I happen to know Porsche will not verify jack over the phone. You pay for a Certificate of authenticity & have to wait until it comes to know anything. That is the way it works. I know as I have ordered multiple COA's for the 3 different 914 LE's I have owned. I am no Broker I will freely admit though smile.gif . Whoever your local expert was could not possibly tell you it is a numbers matching car. Unless he was in the factory & built it personally. Documenting it during every step of the build. It is very obvious it has more than 722 miles. No 914 would have that low a mileage & have had multiple color changes. Without documentation during the whole life of the car. You are better off just listing what the mileage shows. Don't state it's a low mileage car at all confused24.gif .

There are many 914 owners on this site who know our cars inside & out. In most cases it is not meant to be spiteful with comments. We will point out possible oversights by people who may not be aware of them. Not only to help you but fellow 914 owners who might purchase it. biggrin.gif

I wish you the best of luck with selling the car. I even may have a buyer for you that is on the east coast. I'll pass your info along to a buddy who bought a creamsicle I had that needed restoration. He has a couple BumbleBee's allready but you never know confused24.gif
wanchaiwarrior
This was the original Porsche used in Risky Business. Only this one was just recently retrieved from Lake Michigan.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(wanchaiwarrior @ Nov 28 2011, 09:46 PM) *

This the original Porsche used in Risky Business. Only this one was just recently retrieved from Lake Michigan.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Cargirl
need to get this car out of the garage to make room for a 68 Mustang so offers are very much appreciated.

QUOTE(Cargirl @ Nov 13 2011, 10:35 AM) *

Owner has verbal confirmation from Porsche that this is a genuine 1947 Porsche 914-4 LE Can Am 2.0.

Have added pictures of the undercarriage

VIN 14686, has a paint code L041..

Call Jason at 63l-418-5287 (9am-9pm)...if he does not answer, please leave message and he will return your call. no text please! Car is located in Pittsburgh PA.

Owner's notes

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/classictag/914-4/Click to view attachment

nomore9one4
I may have over looked it in the post with all this drivel,but where is this car located? Thanks. Bob
billh1963
QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Dec 27 2011, 09:38 AM) *

I may have over looked it in the post with all this drivel,but where is this car located? Thanks. Bob

First post says car is in Pittsburgh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.