Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with class
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Woody
What class am I supposed to be running in for scca autocross? I am running a 2056 with cam and carbs. I am running a front bar and monoballs with RA1 rubber. The local club wants me to run in SSM but the car is well outclassed. Previously they put me in SM and I am aware that's not correct but it at least let me be competitive in my group.
BMXerror
lol... In my region SM regularly spanks SSM by a wide margin... because we have Mike Simanyi. happy11.gif
SSM is definitely where you belong due to the motor... that is assuming you still have interior. If not, then it's off to XP you go. National classes are tough to be competitive in. You basically have to know specifically which class you want to run in before you prep the car... Or start where you're at and open your wallet wide! I think with proper setup, getting down to minimum weight, and some A6s a 914 could do it in SSM.
Another option may be to see if your region offers a regional 'run what you brung' class. They can actually be quite competitive. This will give you time to figure out if you like what SCCA does, and dig into the rules to find where you belong. Welcome to the sickness.
Mark D.
P.S. Is Mark Sipe in your region? If so tell him Mark DeShon and Jeff Stuart are waiting for him. smile.gif
Woody
I don't recall the name Mark Sipe. In the club I run with SSM is very hotly contested with several purpose built, non streetable cars. I guess in order for me to be competitive I need to do some work. Usually the SSM cars take TTOD. It would be a great class to run with.
BMXerror
Sipe runs in STX (as do I), and he's from Texas, just not sure exactly where. We've gone up against each other in the National events a couple times. He can be mighty quick, and I'm hoping for some good fights next year!
Your problem is the 96mm bore. Both DSP and DP require you to run no more than 1.2mm (.047) over stock bore. Depending on what mods you've done, you'd probably only land in DSP or DP if it weren't for those pistons & cylinders.
Minimum weight for your configuration is 1863lbs in SSM. I'm not sure what your weight is or how tweaked your motor is, but if you're serious start with weight. If you invest in some quality calculation and testing on proper spring rates, A6s (a must) and really making that 2056 breath you should be up there. I know. I just rattled off a wallet full. Two things you should know about SSM cars... three actually: they can really drain the budget, are usually by no means streetable, and are a hell of a lot of fun.
Mark D.
jhadler
Looking at your avatar picture, I'm guessing you're running 225's or wider under those flares?

Technically, FP, EM, or SM would be the proper class for you. Street Prepared allows a ton of stuff, more than what you've got with one exception. You can't go into the motor. The cam and 96 mm jugs are what bump you out of Street Prepared. Chances are, you could talk to the other DSP drivers at the event to ask if they don't mind if you run with them, and they'd be fine. But otherwise, you'll just run with the big-dogs and compare your times with those of DSP. The mods that bump you out of SP are relatively minor, and not going to make your car an overdog in DSP. If the rest of drivers are okay with it, I'd run DSP for a while...

-Josh2

QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 13 2011, 04:53 PM) *

What class am I supposed to be running in for scca autocross? I am running a 2056 with cam and carbs. I am running a front bar and monoballs with RA1 rubber. The local club wants me to run in SSM but the car is well outclassed. Previously they put me in SM and I am aware that's not correct but it at least let me be competitive in my group.

grantsfo
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 16 2011, 07:55 AM) *

Looking at your avatar picture, I'm guessing you're running 225's or wider under those flares?

Technically, FP, EM, or SM would be the proper class for you. Street Prepared allows a ton of stuff, more than what you've got with one exception. You can't go into the motor. The cam and 96 mm jugs are what bump you out of Street Prepared. Chances are, you could talk to the other DSP drivers at the event to ask if they don't mind if you run with them, and they'd be fine. But otherwise, you'll just run with the big-dogs and compare your times with those of DSP. The mods that bump you out of SP are relatively minor, and not going to make your car an overdog in DSP. If the rest of drivers are okay with it, I'd run DSP for a while...

-Josh2

QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 13 2011, 04:53 PM) *

What Josh says. However dont think FP would be legal or can you use a 2056 T4 in that class? XP would be option too. Or if your region has OSP you could run there. However SP pepople might take exception to the displacement increase beyond just the internal changes! Monoballs also kick him out of SP to SM.

SCCA rules gerally suck for street prepared cars and it wont change anytime soon due to political influences.
Woody
The car isn't flared and they are 205's. I am putting together a conversion with a 2.7 that I need to build but am still a long ways off. Guess I need to hurry up and build it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.