Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jake's Redoing his website
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Jake: Give us a big 914 section!

IPB Image

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com
Eric_Ciampa
Ya I did some looking around there too this last week. looks really good. and i agree give us lots of places to look. also, I know this is not simple but it would really help to have some very general price ranges for your engines. I know cost varies with cores but you must have some idea's what a costomer can expect givin a certain situation. something with a $500 range. that would just help. IMHO.
Jake Raby
Pricing is impossible to do with my work... everytime I try to put pricing there, I get claims from guys saying I'm false advertising! Of course they do not understand that the prices area baseline, and they end up wanting the full package..

I have not sold the same engine, with the same customer "situation" twice in the last 3 years...

The way I do pricing it is no nonsense, tell me what you want in a brief email, Kathy will set you up an appointment to talk to me- I'll call you at that time, on my dime and tailor fit an engine for your needs, and give a price on the spot... Then if you want it, get on my wait list and await your proposal... The proposal sets things in stone, and pricing will not vary after that. No hidden cahrges and no bullshit the day I'm done....

If I were to go generic like everyone else, make a few combos, and sell them to each customer regardless of gearing, and tire sizes OR not build the engine to work best in their climate it would be possible.

The 914 section will be getting a revamp for sure... BUT I won't add a whole lot to it because YOU GUYS WILL NOT SPEND ANY FREAKIN MONEY!Adding all the text and pics take literally hundreds of hours. Next month we will have 107 different engine combinations that we have proven, on the web with full explanations of their power a as well as a ratings system to show everything about the engine from longevity to power and even how well it idles.

My primary customers right now are 356 convertees, and Beetle convertees, they spend money and are really happy about the work that we do to create them a more updated engine package, just for their cars..

914 guys are too busy drooling all over a six cylinder, or V8, and don't give a damn about what we do for the TIV- as a general rule..

I have built 5 engines for 914s this year, 3 of them were for F production SCCA cars!I have 3 more of those in the works now, as well as one BAD ASS BITCH for an E production.. Just one street 914 in in the line up for the next 6 months.

I Love 914s and have takedn the time to complete entire engine configurations just for them... About 3 years ago the 914 business dropped off and has not been back up since.. Hell the last 4 guys that I have had drop out of projects midstream, and leave me hanging with thousands in parts were 914 guys!!

That really pisses me off!

Sorry to rant!
i love porsche
ill be coming to you once i get the money in line!..see im not that cheap!
thomasotten
Sounds like all the reason to love us even more. wub.gif

By the way, what are 356 owners converting to?
Jake Raby
356 guys are converting to TIV power with my shroud more everyday... It bolts right in and gives them 150BHP for the same cost as rebuilding their original engine to stock.

I currently have SIX engines destimed for 356's- all of those are going to the UK... A huge amount of our stuff is being exported now.
p914
Does your DTM Shroud work for 75 2.0 914s?
Jake Raby
Currently it will not fit into a non altered 914 body..

My new verison of it will, and will be made specifically for 914s. I have alot of re-engineering and testing to do, as the airflow will change drastically..

The mold to do this is expensive, and based on recent happenings in the 914 industry I'm probably tossing my money away to do it, but I suppose its worth a chance. If nothing else I can use them to sell to guys making TIV powered sawmills, they don't need that portion of the shroud.
Eric_Ciampa
well you know what is best jake. I was not trying to presume how you should run your buisness, I just know that after I go through all that reading I really am itching for a price. and I am sorry to hear aboutyour getting screwed by some 914ers. we are really a bunch of good guys and it sucks that you found a bad bunch. Just dont write us off. I am young and in college (which means that I can't afford your engine sad2.gif ). that is my excuse. But just yesterday I was asking my fiance if she would consider letting me spend that $$ for one of your engines. I have been looking for a while and will have to continue just looking for a few more years until I graduate. anyways now I am ranting. Just dont write us off. pray.gif
JeffBowlsby
Pricing is impossible to do with my work

How about for anyone who might be interested in a stock engine...a ballpark range for a stock engine...stock stock stock. GA case 2.0L Stock stock stock?

Make it a conditional price range if you need to...state any major assumptions.

For stock FI (or equivalent)

Stock stock stock...no fire breathers needed...stock stock stock...
Jake Raby
I don't build a 100% stock engine. The efficiency of a 100% stocker isn't what I like to sign my name to.

The closest thing I have to stock dynoes at 115BHP and will use stock FI fine, it cost 5500.00 and your core.. I can price that one.
McMark
I'll never have a stupid six cylinder in my car. Big four all the way.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 7 2004, 10:47 PM)
Big four all the way.

like that? idea.gif

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
MarkG
Just got my AA hard copy catalog; one of the 'tech articles' says: "you can spend thousands modifying a type 4 engine and not come close to the HP of a stock 914-6".....I think it was on the same page as their -6 conversion parts.

I WILL be spending thousands on my 2.0 Type IV ..... I will be saving up through our long winter and come next spring (August) will be in contact with Jake.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 7 2004, 03:31 PM)

The 914 section will be getting a revamp for sure... BUT I won't add a whole lot to it because YOU GUYS WILL NOT SPEND ANY FREAKIN MONEY!Adding all the text and pics take literally hundreds of hours. Next month we will have 107 different engine combinations that we have proven, on the web with full explanations of their power a as well as a ratings system to show everything about the engine from longevity to power and even how well it idles.

914 guys are too busy drooling all over a six cylinder, or V8, and don't give a damn about what we do for the TIV- as a general rule..

That really pisses me off!

Sorry to rant!

"Converting to sixes" and "not willing to spend money" in the same post. I thought that was funny.

I think most 914 owners have a very good sense of value. I just dont think many 914 owners see the value in a $6K close to stock type 4. My sense is your expensive engines are close to $8K or more?

While preformance numbers might be close between one of those hot t4's and a mild 6 there is an intangible about the sound and the feel of a 6 in a 914. Tough to compete percieved value as well.

Maybe its becuase I grewup around a VW machine shop that rebuilt type 4's in the 70's and 80's. Just never thought I would see the day when a type 4 engine would break the $6K level. Thats inflation for you!
thomasotten
It think its a case of "you get what you pay for". It is not just inflation. It is about doing it right. Sure, you can fix whatever caused you to have to rebuild for under $1500, and slap it back together. That is what was done on my engine years back and it always ran like crap. I mean, the car had zero power when it was cold. What the reason was, I still don't know. But I listened to people who I was at the mercy of, back when I was in school, and didn't have time to do my engine homework. I am willing to pay money now, for a better motor. I am looking at both a 911 T 6 cyl, and a peppy TIV. Type 4 seems to be how I am leaning because you don't have to deal with no heat and A/C issues. But I may change my mind, who knows.
grantsfo
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 9 2004, 02:43 PM)
It think its a case of "you get what you pay for". It is not just inflation. It is about doing it right. Sure, you can fix whatever caused you to have to rebuild for under $1500, and slap it back together. That is what was done on my engine years back and it always ran like crap. I mean, the car had zero power when it was cold. What the reason was, I still don't know. But I listened to people who I was at the mercy of, back when I was in school, and didn't have time to do my engine homework. I am willing to pay money now, for a better motor. I am looking at both a 911 T 6 cyl, and a peppy TIV. Type 4 seems to be how I am leaning because you don't have to deal with no heat and A/C issues. But I may change my mind, who knows.

I rememeber plenty of competently rebuilt engines lasting well over 100,000 miles that went out for under $1500-$2000. Poor running was maining due to people not paying attention to fuel injection and ignition systems on their t4's. I had a hot T4 in my 72 VW bus that was running strong after 50,000 hard miles of me doing drag races with my freinds in High School and charging over hills on hot days so I'm still a skeptic on value of an expensive T4. I have never blown a T4 yet. Maybe I'm just lucky?

No doubt that we have seen some incremental improvement in some of the components that can be installed on T4, but its still a T4.
BGman
Jake- you built 5 last year. Three were race engines- so I was one of two that purchased for street use? That is surprising. I am loving mine.

It has not caused me an ounce of trouble or a drop of oil- and it has been running since spring.
I haven't even had a chance (or need) to adjust the carbs.
-g
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.