Mike (951)323-9396

Up for sale is an almost 100% stock 1971 1.7L EFI 914 with ~79k original miles that would make a great 914-6 conversion candidate or 914-4 concurs restoration. This is one of the most rust free and straight 914 bodies that I've seen in the over 3 dozen 914s I've purchased so I decided it would be better to sell it complete rather than part it out.
As I stated earlier, body wise this 914 is almost 100% damage free and after inspection the only major issue with the body that I found was a cut out in the front trunk and RH engine compartment shelf for an A/C unit that used to be installed. The rest of the body only has a few minor dings and some bondo on the rear trunk lid. The only rust found was a small pinky size hole by the rear corner of the front trunk seal lip.
Originally the car came from the factory painted in a gold finish, but it was repainted red over 25 years ago in a Maaco~ish repaint. The car currently runs and drives but is not registered and it will need a COMPLETE restoration and/or a lot of work to be roadworthy, (Basically this car is being priced on the body condition only and nothing else).

As of right now the issues that I know of are:

1) Electrical, The dash lights aren't working, the tach needle is bouncing around, the fuel gauge isn't working, the RH turn signal isn't working, the windshield wipers aren't working. I have not looked over the wiring issues so the issues may be just dirty connections or it could be broken wires/contacts.
2) Brakes, The car seems to stop OK but the pedal is a little low, I think there mat be some air in the lines. Also, the brakes have not been inspected so their overall condition is unknown. The E-brake handle inside the car is broken.
3) Engine, Overall the 1.7L runs very good for not having anything done to it for over 25 years. Almost all of the hoses appear to be original and some vacuum lines are cracked. So far the engine has not leaked any oil or had any exhaust smoke at all, and since it looks as if the 79k miles is original it should still be in pretty good shape. Some of the heating system is missing and the heat exchangers are really caked with oil, so after the car has been running for about 10 minutes they start smoking a lot as the old caked on oil begins to burn off (Basically the heat exchangers just need a good cleaning).
4)Transmission, It shifts really well for a tail shifter and even 1st gear feels good with only a slight grind if you down-shift it fast. This again is probably because the car only has ~79k miles.
5)Interior, The seat adjustment handles are missing, the passenger seat isn't bolted in, the vinyl dash pad is cracked, the speedometer isn't working, the seat belts are missing, the 2 seat bottoms do not match.
6) Exterior, Both outer door handles do not work, the rear trunk lock has been drilled out, the outer door mirrors are loose.
7) Paperwork, I currently only have a bill of sale from the owner since he lost his CA title, also the car is not currently registered but it has not been on the road for over 20 years so there won't be any DMV back fees. If you need a title for transport I have a contact with a title company that will come out and vin verify the car and setup all the DMV paperwork for $75-$100. After that it will just be a matter of paying the title transfer fee and CA sales tax. Usual wait time to receive a CA title after the paperwork has been submitted is approximately 3-4 weeks.

I know many people will try to misrepresent their cars on purpose and I've tried to note everything that I know that can't be seen in the pictures so you have a good understanding of what you're buying. If you have any questions though feel free to call. As I stated before this 914 will need a lot of work but because the body is so darn straight it will be a great start for a concurs restoration.

Mike
(951)323-9396

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
View the full article