Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach troubleshooting sequence?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
Hey all - now that I've got the exterior lights working and can actually drive this beast at night - I'm increasingly aware of the other shortcomings - like no speedo or tach and a fuel gauge that is pegged on full. First things first - the TACH

it is dead. as a doornail. no jiggles on rapping my knuckles on it at all.

so - where to start? I have a spare tach that the PO provided....so the question becomes, how do I ascertain if the one I've got is shot or not, and if the spare is good?

any thoughts on pointing me the right direction are certainly appreciated....

best

td
jcd914
QUOTE(tadink @ Nov 13 2011, 05:32 PM) *

I'm increasingly aware of the other shortcomings - like no speedo or tach and a fuel gauge that is pegged on full.

so - where to start?

With multiple electrical issues in the same set of circuit look at what is common, the grounds to the gauges.
Check to see if you have a loose or corroded connection for all the brown wires to the gauges.

Ground are usually a good starting point anyway.

Jim
TheCabinetmaker
Tach: Black wire with purple stripe on the coil should be connected to same side as the condensor wire from the distributor. Might want to pull the tach out and have a look see at the back to make sure all the wires are plugged in there. Fuel gauge pegged is probably a direct short to ground.
tadink
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 14 2011, 11:13 AM) *

Tach: Black wire with purple stripe on the coil should be connected to same side as the condensor wire from the distributor. Might want to pull the tach out and have a look see at the back to make sure all the wires are plugged in there. Fuel gauge pegged is probably a direct short to ground.

Thanks guys, perfect info and exactly the kind of direction I need. Will chk grounding issues and let you know - many thanks

td
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.