Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
Has anyone ever replaced their plastic fuel lines with copper instead of steel? The reason is that it would be easier then getting the steel ones in. I have seen this done on sand rails before.

Thanks, Chris.
McMark
Copper will break more easily that steel from bending.
Andyrew
Go to your flaps and buy some steel brake lines.. like in 6f or so increments..

Kragen should have em, pep boys should, autozone..
bla bla bla

Andrew
tracks914
Copper is Ok for something you race and can have easy access too. It work hardens if there is vibration and will crack on you. Don't use it unless you have good fire insurance and you car is insured for 20K.
IronHillRestorations
This has been gone over numerous times before. Here's the last thread I could find.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...pper+fuel+lines

My 914 Guru/yoda-zenmaster Brad Mayeur has put copper lines in 914's for over twenty years with know known issues. All of the paranoia over this is internet speculation/bs. As long as you do it correctly, aren't achieving an altitude (ie aircraft) or plan to campaign the car in F1, and use some common sense. You'll be OK.

PK cool.gif

I'm still waiting for photos of one 914 with failed copper fuel lines.
SpecialK
agree.gif

I you're using some kind of isolator (rubber fuel line) between the tank and the F/I or carbs, there will be no "work hardening" issues. It'll also handle any psi the fuel pump can through at it, I've personally seen A/C units run over 400 psi (on a hot day with a clogged condenser).
ThinAir
I'm about to do the fuel pump relocation project myself and after reading tales of how hard it is to bend the steel lines I wondered why copper wouldn't work. Is the copper line that I would find at my local hardware store acceptable or do I need to go to a plumbing supply and ask for something particular?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.